Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Apr 24, 2014 12:26 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rumble in the Jungle  (Read 864 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Jan 17, 2012 05:36 PM »

Rumble in the Jungle

Sports enthusiasts will need no reminding that today is Muhammad Ali’s 70th birthday and the press coverage (for a man who has largely been out of the public eye for over a generation) is quite astounding.

It is hard to believe now, but there was a time when Ali was the most famous and recognisable man on this planet and, even to this day, his exploits linger on in the memories of those who were privileged enough to see them.

My first encounter with Ali was as a boy reading a biography of his life and the twists and turns which was his career both inside and outside the ring. There is something undeniably unique and magical about Muhammad Ali’s story, almost as if his life was destined for the greatness with all the ups, the downs, the highs and the lows.

For many, the zenith of his career probably came in 1974 and the infamous Rumble in the Jungle in Zaire with George Foreman.

Everything about this fight was pure Hollywood from the David and Goliath storyline to the African location and the then ridiculous $5mn prize money for each fighter ($104,000,000 in today’s prices!!)

Sports journalists will recall the infamous ‘rope-a-dope’ tactics employed by Ali to tire out the hard hitting Foreman. It should be remembered that there were many who actually feared for Ali’s life given the formidable power of the then heavyweight champion and the thought that it was impossible for the older, slower Ali to beat such a seemingly impregnable fighter.

History, of course, records an unimaginable victory for Ali as his tactics lead to Foreman punching himself out and eventually being knocked out in the eighth round. No one had given him a chance, a hope, a prayer but despite all the odds he regained the title that had been so unjustly stripped away from him years earlier for his refusal to fight in the Vietnam war.

From an Islamic perspective, however, I will always remember an interview that Muhammad Ali gave after the fight about how he had prayed to Allah to grant him victory (not for the glory of being victorious) but for the good he could do and achieve with the added status of being heavyweight champion of the world.

It has always been a reminder to me, that no matter how many punches we take in life, being patient will always lead to a day when the tide will turn and we will be able to deliver a knockout blow of our own.

Thank you for teaching me that lesson!

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, his hands can't hit what his eyes can't see."

"I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick."

"I never thought of losing, but now that it's happened, the only thing is to do it right. That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life."

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill."

"I think maybe my Parkinson's is God's way of reminding me what is important. It slowed me down and caused me to listen rather than talk. Actually, people pay more attention to me now because I don't talk as much."

"I always liked to chase the girls. Parkinson's stops all that. Now I might have a chance to go to heaven."

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2012 06:35 PM »

wsalam,

That last quote is really sweet. I saw him trending the last few days and of course my first thought was that something happened to him! Alhamdulillah he is well and indeed he's a hero for all of us to look up to!
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2012 09:16 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

Loved this Br. Khalid!  Jazak Allahu khayran!

Muhammad Ali had "swag" before the word was even invented  fez

salaam,
SlaveOfAllah
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
SlaveOfAllah has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2012 11:53 PM »

I was just watching his movie by Will Smith about 2 days ago. Alhamdulilah =’D

Asalaamu Alaikum
                             -SerigneBabs99
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2012 11:22 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Young Muslims today could do a lot worse than studying Muhammad Ali's life and seeing how he became a better and stronger person as he grow older (despite the Parkinson's).

Below is a BBC documentary featuring Ali and his interviews with David Frost.

The one at Deer Lake prior to the Foreman fight is absolutely priceless!!

http://youtu.be/UMchcGU4gU4

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2012 07:35 PM »

Salaams,

I watched a whole DVD documentary this past December showcasing his humble beginnings to his greatness as a fighter (including all his fights), his sense of self, his priorities, etc., and its something to behold.  He is/was an orator, a comedian and great person. I enjoyed it tremendously.

He touched lit the Olympic Cauldron athe 1996 Olympic games in Atlanta despite his struggle with parkinson's.

He is great role model. And he was and still is handome too!!!

Halima

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: