// 3 reasons to give up soda...
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Mercy: The Prophet said: 'Show mercy to those on earth so that He who is in heaven will have mercy on you.' (Sunan At-Tirmidhî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 reasons to give up soda...  (Read 1431 times)
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« on: Jan 22, 2012 10:35 PM »

http://www.rodale.com/soda-health-problems
Luqmaan
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
Luqmaan has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2012 05:08 AM »

AlhamduliLlah I quit soda many years ago before having known all those facts, and before even considering it somewhat harmful. I kind of knew it wasn't good. So AlhamduliLlah i grew up and keep up drinking milk and tea. Because knowingly harming and destroying one's body and health which are given to us by Allah as trust, it means that we are breaking this trust. So   bebzi  should be replaced now with chai or :shai:
rahma
Sis

rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2012 01:36 AM »

More reasons to give up soda....

5 great reasons to kick your soda habit

By Emily Main
Rodale.com
If you've been reading health magazines and websites for any length of time, you've read a litany of reasons why soda is bad for you. It's nothing but sugar water. It's devoid of any nutritional value. It leads to obesity and diabetes. But we've dug up several other disturbing facts about what soda does to your body, besides packing on the pounds, that don't get much attention in broader discussions about soda and its impact on your health.

Accelerated aging
Diet or regular, all colas contain phosphates, or phosphoric acid, a weak acid that gives colas their tangy flavor and improves their shelf life. Although it exists in many whole foods, such as meat, dairy, and nuts, too much phosphoric acid can lead to heart and kidney problems, muscle loss, and osteoporosis, and one study suggests it could trigger accelerated aging. The study, published in a 2010 issue of the FASEB Journal, found that the excessive phosphate levels found in sodas caused lab rats to die a full five weeks earlier than the rats whose diets had more normal phosphate levels—a disturbing trend considering that soda manufacturers have been increasing the levels of phosphoric acid in their products over the past few decades.

Caramel cancer-causers
In 2011, the nonprofit Center for Science in the Public Interest petitioned the Food and Drug Administration to ban the artificial caramel coloring used to make Coke, Pepsi, and other colas brown. The reason: Two contaminants in the coloring, 2-methylimidazole and 4-methylimidazole, have been found to cause cancer in animals, a threat the group says is unnecessary, considering that the coloring is purely cosmetic. According to California's strict Proposition 65 list of chemicals known to cause cancer, just 16 micrograms per person per day of 4-methylimidazole is enough to pose a cancer threat, and most popular brown colas, both diet and regular, contain 200 micrograms per 20-ounce bottle.

The Hidden Cancer Threat in Soda

Mountain Dew mind
Dentists have a name for the condition they see in a lot of kids who drink too much Mountain Dew. They wind up with a "Mountain Dew Mouth," full of cavities caused by the drink's excessive sugar levels. "Mountain Dew Mind" may be the next medical condition that gets named after the stuff. An ingredient called brominated vegetable oil, or BVO, added to prevent the flavoring from separating from the drink, is an industrial chemical used as a flame retardant in plastics. Also found in other citrus-based soft drinks and sports drinks, the chemical has been known to cause memory loss and nerve disorders when consumed in large quantities. Researchers also suspect that, like brominated flame retardants used in furniture foam, the chemical builds up in body fat, possibly causing behavioral problems, infertility, and lesions on heart muscles over time.

Toxic cans
It's not just the soda that's causing all the problems. Nearly all aluminum soda cans are lined with an epoxy resin called bisphenol A (BPA), used to keep the acids in soda from reacting with the metal. BPA is known to interfere with hormones, and has been linked to everything from infertility to obesity to some forms of reproductive cancers. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have pegged soda cans, along with restaurant, school, and fast-food meals, as a major source of exposure to the chemical. And while Pepsi and Coke are currently locked in a battle to see which company can be the first to develop a 100 percent plant-based-plastic bottle—which they're touting as "BPA free"—neither company is willing to switch to BPA-free aluminum cans.

Water pollution 
The artificial sweeteners used in diet sodas don't break down in our bodies, nor do wastewater-treatment plants catch them before they enter waterways, researchers have found. In 2009, Swiss scientists tested water samples from wastewater-treatment plants, rivers and lakes in Switzerland and detected levels of acesulfame K, sucralose, and saccharin, all of which are, or have been, used in diet sodas. A recent test of 19 municipal water supplies in the U.S. revealed the presence of sucralose in every one. It's not clear yet what these low levels are doing to people, but past research has found that sucralose in rivers and lakes interferes with some organisms' feeding habits.

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/11/10626512-5-great-reasons-to-kick-your-soda-habit#.T1zleYpu1TQ.facebook
rahma
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2012 04:17 PM »

Can't lose weight?  Blame it on soda:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2181290/Having-seen-evidence-I-dont-touch-fizzy-drinks-Frankly-theyre-evil.html

Soda actually alters the way your muscles burn fuel...

STOP DRINKING SODA!!!

rahma
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2012 04:15 PM »

Still drinking soda, anyone...?
rahma
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2012 02:03 PM »

...and still folks drink it....
rahma
Sis

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013 04:54 PM »

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-kick-soda-habit/

How To Kick A Soda Habit

Are you addicted to soda? Do you like to pour back those pops? Drinking these sugary beverages has been associated with rotting teeth and obesity.

It doesn’t matter if they’re organic, if they use real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. Drinking sweet drinks is simply not good for your health. Downing just two sugar-laden fizzy drinks per week has been shown to increase risk of pancreatic cancer.

And, if you think you’re safe because you drink an artificially-sweetened pop, think again. Even those have been associated with kidney decline and weight gain.

So, what’s a health-conscious person supposed to do? Here are my tips for kicking your soda habit.

Make Your Own Soda
I know! It seems hard. But it’s ridiculously easy.

And it’s fun!

If you like fruity flavors, try combining seltzer water and fruit juice at a 3:1 ratio.

Others surprise themselves by adding seltzer water to a creamy coffee, or by mixing vanilla extract and honey into seltzer water to create a classic cream soda.

If you’re going to give making homemade soda a real chance, I recommend buying a soda siphon like this one.

I use it to carbonate my own water.

This way, I know that my water is beautifully clean and pure. I’ve got a Berkey Water Purifier with the attached fluoride filter, so I know my water is 100% safe and chemical-free. (where to buy Berkey water purifiers)

Alternatively, you could try it out with plain, store-bought seltzer water like this one from Blue Sky.

Start Drinking Kombucha
This is how I beat my own addiction to Dr. Pepper!

Kombucha is mildly tart and sweet, wonderfully fizzy, probiotic, and full of energy-boosting B vitamins.

Also, because it’s a naturally-fermented beverage, it can help zap sugar cravings.

You can start by buying store-bought kombucha to see if the beverage grows on you. If you like it, then consider making your own kombucha at home. Here’s how I make homemade kombucha.

Make Water Kefir Soda

Like kombucha, water kefir is a fizzy and naturally-fermented, probiotic beverage.

Ann Marie of Cheeseslave has a great post on making homemade kefir soda pop.

Notice a trend?
Quitting things cold-turkey can be hard.

If you’ve tried to stop drinking soda and failed, then perhaps it’s time to start eliminating the bad by crowding it out with better alternatives.

Each of these alternatives is far healthier for you than store-bought sodas.

Give them a try and let me know what you think!

Did you successfully kick a soda habit?
How did you do it? Let us know in the comments. What you say can help some other poor soul stop drinking soda once and for all.
rahma
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2013 03:59 PM »

And then there's this:
(Seriously, is there anyone out there still drinking this 'stuff'?  Huh? )

http://rinf.com/alt-news/breaking-news/soda-kids-behavioral-problems-linked/60558/

Soda, kids’ behavioral problems linked

New research has indicated that soft drink consumption is associated with aggression, attention problems, and behavioral abnormalities in young children.
The study was conducted by a team of researchers from Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health, University of Vermont, and Harvard School of Public Health.
The team assessed nearly 3000 children at about 5 years old and monitored their soft drink consumption as well as behavioral manifestations.
The children were selected from the Fragile Families and Child Wellbeing Study, a prospective birth cohort that follows mother-child pairs from 20 large cities in the United States.
The children™s soft drink consumption and behaviour were regularly reported by their mothers through some checklists.
The report unveiled that children who drank 4 or more soft drinks (particularly more sugar-sweetened sodas) per day were more than twice as likely to damage others™ belongings, get into fights, and physically attack people.
They also had increased attention problems and withdrawal behavior compared with those who did not consume soft drinks.
“We found that the child’s aggressive behavior score increased with every increase in soft drinks servings per day,” said Shakira Suglia, ScD, from Columbia University.
Meanwhile, the findings mirror similar trends among adolescents according to a study published in 2011.
The study found that teens who drank more than five cans of soft drinks every week were significantly more likely to have carried a weapon and acted violently toward peers and family members.
Though he researchers did not identify the exact contribution of soft drinks to behavioral problems, they say œlimiting or eliminating a child’s soft drink consumption may combat behavioral problems.”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: