// Aafia Siddiqui has Cancer, according to letter to Pakistan Embassy
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aafia Siddiqui has Cancer, according to letter to Pakistan Embassy  (Read 1638 times)
moderatesufi
« on: Jan 24, 2012 10:16 AM »

Aafia Siddiqui contracts cancer in US jail
 Monday, 23 January 2012 22:07

RELATED ARTICLE -

Only the Khilafah can avenge Aafia Siddiqui

Who will free Aafia Siddiqui?

Aafia Siddiqui Forced to Walk Naked Over the Qur'an

The Nation

KARACHI - Pakistani scientist Dr Aafia Siddiqui, who is serving 86-year imprisonment in a US prison cell, has contracted cancer and allegedly become pregnant as a result of sexual abuse during her confinement.

Talking to The News Tribe, her sister Dr Fouzia Siddiqui said she had come to know through Pakistani Consul General in Houston that Aafia had been diagnosed with a cancer. She added that earlier there were reports that the Pakistani scientist had become pregnant due to alleged sexual abuse during imprisonment. However, the Pakistan Embassy has not playing its role in either confirming or rejecting the reports.

She said that former Pakistan ambassador to US Husain Haqqani was called back the next day when he told us about the condition of Aafia.

She quoted Pakistan Consul General Aqil Nadeem as saying that he was requesting the jail authorities for providing medical facilities to the Pakistani scientist.

Fouzia said keeping in view the reputation of the Roswell jail and the nature of her sister's disease the request was insufficient.

She urged the Pakistan Embassy to arrange a team of physicians comprising doctors from jail as well as from private sector for Aafia.

Fouzia said that newly-appointed Pakistan Ambassador to US Sherry Rehman had assured her all possible help before leaving for America to take up her new assignment. However, despite making contact with her, the envoy has not given any response in this regard.

Speaking about the reports of Aafia's alleged pregnancy, she said that her family was told about it after the Pakistani scientist showed some symptoms in the women jail.

Fouzia appealed to the US and Pakistani authorities to arrange a telephonic conversation of her mother with Aafia.

Earlier, British journalist and human rights activist Yvonne Ridley had declared the long punishment of Aafia as just 'one step away from death'.

Talking about attitude of Pakistani politicians being adopted on the Aafia issue, Fouzia said she would not believe in their statements until and unless her sister returns to Pakistan. She complained that the politicians had only exploited the Aafia issue just to gain political mileage.

She said that Aafia had been provided substandard food at jail, which led to health problems as she had complained of it during her earlier telephonic conversations.

The News Tribe, a UK-based bilingual news website has approached Pakistan Ambassador to US Sherry Rehman through an email to get her point of view on the issue but received no response till the filing of this news.
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2012 10:39 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

While it pains me to learn about people who have been innocently and/or unfairly imprisoned, and I would (unfortunately) not be surprised if Aafia Siddiqui has faced brutal and inhumane conditions in her imprisonment, I don't think it is wise or beneficial to spread such information which has not been verified and is speculative.  

I also disagree with the first line in the article.  Only Allah can bring justice to Aafia Siddiqui.  And such justice can be established by believers using the means and faculties that have been bestowed upon us through our many blessings (wealth, intellect etc) guided by Islamic teachings and a strategic, intelligent effort, to stand for what is right.

Allah knows best
salaam

[edited by se7en]
se7en
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2012 11:29 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

To elaborate on what I'm trying to say:  Are we surprised that these types of abuses are taking place behind the closed doors of American run (or funded or endorsed) prisons?  There were photos of abuses from Abu Ghraib that included women (that were not run in the media for various reasons) and we have numerous reports of the atrocious conditions of prisoners at Guantanamo, so it is not something that should be new or surprising to us.

My point is that, we seem to have a tunnel vision sometimes - why does this disturb us so much - though indeed it is something that should be extremely troubling and disturbing - when we know of so many other horrific cases where abuses have been established?

We should realize that this is a case or sample of a much larger issue and we need to work on actually and seriously addressing that. 

PS Don't get me started on those who call for khilafa Smiley

salaam
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2012 02:08 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

I don't think it is wise or beneficial to spread such information which has not been verified and is speculative.

Further to the above, can we please be very careful when relaying information especially when we have no means of checking the story ourselves.

"It is sufficient lying for a man to speak of everything that he hears"

[Muslim]

We are all aware of the gravity of lying in Islam and simply forwarding articles/news stories without proper due diligence is a slippery slope.

For example, the original article makes no claim that Sr Aafia is pregnant and caveats its story with the use of the word ‘allegedly’.

How then do we leap from that to declaring that she is indeed pregnant as implied by the title of this thread?

We should never allow injustices (perceived or otherwise) to derail us from the behaviour that is expected from following the Qur’an and Sunnah.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2012 05:08 PM »

This is the message I received from the Justice for Aafia Coalition that are doing actual work to inshaAllah help her.

==============

Also, just want to point out that someone cannot "contract cancer" as that implies someone gave it to her. If you're saying the US injects prisoners with cancer cells or something that's a whole other level of scifi/conspiracy.

This poor woman has been through so much. The list of her injuries verified by independent doctors and her counsel is horrible. There is no doubt she underwent horrible forms of torture and illness. I doubt very much she will get the treatment she needs as we know a prisoner with diabetes who has a hard time getting his medicine. I hope she passes in peace to the next world where she will receive the justice she never was able to attain here.

======================================================
asalmualaykum warahmatullah

The Justice for Aafia Coalition are issuing the following clarification in light of recent statements circulating in the Pakistani media that Dr. Aafia Siddiqui has contracted cancer and is pregnant, as a result of sexual abuse whilst in custody.

In early November 2011, Aafia's family received disturbing reports that Dr. Siddiqui had become pregnant whilst imprisoned in FMC Carswell and that she had undergone a forced abortion and was subsequently haemorrhaging profusely.

It now appears that according to information provided by the Pakistan Consul General in Houston that Aafia is not pregnant.

However there is sufficient evidence to suggest she has cancer.
After informing Aafia's family of a letter from the prison regarding her condition, former Pakistan ambassador to the US, Husain Haqqani was recalled to Pakistan. Since then the embassy has neither confirmed nor denied the reports.

Whilst a request has been made by the Pakistan Consul General Aqil Nadeem to the governor of FMC Carswell to provide medical facilities to Dr Aafia, it provides little guarantee that Dr Siddiqui will receive adequate treatment, given the prison's notoriety in its treatment of detainees. Over a hundred inmates have reportedly died under 'questionable circumstances' at the facility, with numerous cases of sexual abuse and rape perpetrated by prison staff - amongst them, the guards, chaplains and physicians. Gross medical negligence has been noted particularly with reference to several cancer patients in the past; one of whom died after being left untreated for a year.

We join Aafia’s family in their call for an independent and impartial medical team to be allowed full and immediate access to Dr Aafia Siddiqui in FMC Carswell to evaluate her condition.
Further guidance for campaigners will be published in due course.

hasbunallahu wa ni'mal wakeel..
moderatesufi
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2012 05:40 PM »

Aafia Siddiqui Forced to Walk Naked Over the Qur'an
 Tuesday, 30 March 2010 17:56

RELATED ARTICLE - Who will free Aafia Siddiqui?

JFAC Horrified by New Abuse Revelations, Aafia Siddiqui Forced to Walk Naked Over the Qur'an

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 30th 2010

As hundreds of concerned citizens hold a Day of Remembrance in Pakistan to commemorate the seventh anniversary of her disappearance, the Justice for Aafia Coalition reveal for the first time, in the English language, specific harrowing details of the abuse Aafia Siddiqui was forced to endure in the years spent in secret detention.

During the course of an interview by Kamran Shahid on Pakistan's Front Line, screened 26th March, Siddiqui's mother and sister described publicly for the first time the various forms of torture she underwent at the hands of US agents. This included being:
forcefully stripped by six men and then repeatedly sexually abused
beaten with rifle butts until she bled
bound to a bed, with her hands and feet tied whilst unspecified forms of torture were administered to the soles of her feet and head
injected with unknown substances
dragged by her hair
having her hairs pulled out one by one
forced to walk on the Qu'ran which had been desecrated in her cell whilst naked

Maryam Hassan, founder of the Justice for Aafia Coalition (JFAC), commented:

"These most recent horrific revelations shine a light for the first time on years of detention shrouded until now in darkness and mystery. Forced nudity, violent sexual abuse, the desecration of the Qu'ran, video-taped torture sessions have become infamous hallmarks of US detention since the start of the War on Terror, from Bagram to Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo.

The Obama administration must immediately disclose any video evidence in its possession relating to Ms Siddiqui's detention and torture. The American public has a right to know what is being carried out in its name as much as the Pakistani public are deserving of knowing the horrendous abuse one of their citizens has been subjected to. "

For the full interview, transcribed and translated into English by the Justice for Aafia Coalition, please visit:
http://justiceforaafia.org/index.php/articles/articles/477-front-line-interview-with-aafia-siddiquis-family-

To view the video recording of the interview in Urdu:
http://justiceforaafia.org/index.php/multimedia/475-aafia-siddiqi-front-line-special-program-26th-march-2010

A version with English subtitles will be available on www.justiceforaafia.org soon.
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2012 06:03 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

I think the above shows the clear and apparent lack of knowledge we have in the Ummah, together with the sad lack of adab and good character which our pious predecessors had.

Alhamdulillah, most people can identify the irrational and incoherent members of our society who having nothing better to do than cause fitnah for both Muslim and non Muslim alike.

Our principles are clear and are laid down for us in the Book of Allah and the practice of our beloved Prophet saw and we should never be intimidated by those who wish to conveniently disregard such advice for the advancement of their own worldly agendas.

If someone says:

“Aafia Siddiqui is now pregnant due to repeated rapes by Anerican Prison guards”

Then let them bring the evidence to prove it otherwise relaying an accusation one hears without investigating further is.........well I’m sure you can all make up your mind on that.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2012 06:36 PM »

MS you didn't understand what sister se7en was saying. Allegations and rumors even if true make some Muslims angry and crazy so they riot in the street and burn down McDonalds as their way of protesting against the American gov't. But does this solve anything? Obviously not. Also for those who believe this magical Khilafah is going to solve all their problems are also living in a fantasy. Change takes hard work and dedication, YEARS of planning and work. Not a riot or angry rhetoric.

For example there is an Imam in my town who was arrested. Originally there were some Muslims fired up about how this was wrong and unjust etc and then they just disappeared. And then there is a group of non-Muslims here who took up his case. They wrote letters to the judge, had protests outside the courtrooms, were there at the sentencing. They support his wife and children financially and socially, drive the family 22 hours to visit him, take them to doctors appts and social services. Pay for the kids schools, Applied for a grant from a JEWISH non-profit to help them and received that. File appeal after appeal, send letters to him and the prison. They were able to get him out of a super-max prison into a much better general population one. They keep in touch with him through phone and emails. They are good people who know he was imprisoned wrongly. They even filmed an excellent documentary about the subject. Every year they organize events around their arrest date to raise awareness. The point is they've been doing all this hard work for the last 8 years. And the Muslims....? We're still waiting for khilafah??

or is it that we're just too lazy to do the work (perhaps even don't really care about our fellow muslims) so we wait around for khilafah...

moderatesufi
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2012 07:27 PM »

BrKhalid

My evidence is the newspaper article. if you have a problem with the trust worthiness of that newspaper or the journalist or Aafia Siddiqui's sister who was quoted, take it up with them.

The person who needs to really take a good hard look at themselves if you. When a sister is suffering every kind of torture and humiliation. Some people choose to to call even the repeating of reports of the torture she suffers lies, and "cause fitnah for both Muslim and non Muslim alike.".

Jannah I understood what she said completely. And I understood what you said she said, was what she meant.
I was objecting to her concerns.
The Muslim women are being raped, being made pregnant in Kaffir prisons.
It is understandable why the Kaffir want to hide such incidents. They want to do what they do, without any negative consequences.
 But it seems that many Muslims in America seem to think the  major concern with such news coming it isn't that fact that it happens, but the possibility of a Muslim reaction to such events.
I really feel that mentality is completely disgusting.

Jannah, there is something very warped about your words on Khilafah.
The thing about establishing Khilafah is:
"It takes hard work"
The thing about fixing things once it is here is:
"It takes hard work"

Khilafah isn't the cloud Cooko land people who don't believe the ruling by what Allah reveals say it it.
Khilafah is just our Islamic system.
To say it is some form of utopia or fantasy is to make the same accusation on the whole of the religion of Islam.
Because it clearly is a part of the religion of Islam.
The reference point for Muslims on how they should rule is how our Prophet pbh ruled. Not by how America is ruled, or to so called Democracy which the Americans would like to slaughter us in to imitating.
We have our way, they have theirs. Some "Muslims" believe their way, the American and European way is better, while I believe the way of our Prophet pbh is better.
I make no apology for believing in the Quran and Sunnah, even that parts the Kaffir insist Muslims should reject.
Khilafah is part of Islam. Rejecting any part of Islam is rejecting it all.

[Edited by Admin]
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2012 08:07 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

The article caveated the accusation, the thread title did not.

Lol, stop squirming like a politician and trying to avoid the subject and answer the question.

Who knows, perhaps there really is some evidence which can be furnished to justify the apparent certitude of the title in question?

But seriously, coming back to the Hadith, relying on a defence which consists of 'well the newspaper said so' doesn't wash in Islam and we all have a responsibility on the news that we convey.

In this instance, was it sheer laziness to misrepresent the alleged rape or was it a deliberate ploy to incite hatred?

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2012 11:04 PM »

salam

I haven't read any of the comments.

I read about Sr Aafia's illness and this lady has gone thro so much subhanallah, she has had her babies taken from her she has spent years in prison, she has been maligned by the courts the police her ex husband, the Pakistani government have used her plight for political strategy at home and she has had justice denied her in this life.

Leaving everything aside, remember this lady in your duas tonight, speaking as a woman, as a mother I do not know how she has borne her kismet, I'm in awe of her magnanimity. Someone who can look the judge who has knowingly upheld false accusations against her and condemned her to further torture and tell him she forgives him is a better muslimah than I can ever dream of being.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2012 03:50 AM »

ok there are some different things here...

1. Rumors and unverified reports need to be backed up and caveated, because otherwise a person is spreading LIES. Regardless of if the information is positive for us or negative. People have DIED from un supported reports. In this case I do think MS had a source for his news. The criticism was about the way the article was written and the original headline (since removed by me.)

2. When things are sensationalized and used specifically to manipulate people's emotions and incite violence, this is wrong. Whether the original news is true or not using it to make people do wrong things (riots and violence) is not beneficial for us. Yes it will make people emotional. Beyond that? Nothing.

3. Khilafah is not living by Islam. Khilafah is a complete Islamic state, from top to bottom. And currently it IS a fantasy bro. For our time and age for us (including you) living in the West it's just a complete fantasy.

4. "Fear Allah" seems to be the new F-U of our age eh? Sad use of our God's name. Bro, we are on the same side here. We are all Muslims. And we are all extremely upset and horrified and angry by what has happened to Aafia. The difference is what we think should be done about it.
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2012 06:07 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

There is a clear Hadith.

Let's start following the Sunnah of our Prophet saw instead of following our own desires ['stick by my words'] especially during this month.

The problem we have in this Ummah is loads of angry young men who do not know how to channel their anger in a legitimate and lawful way and who, because of their lack of knowledge, end up transgressing the limits set by Allah.

Let's be very clear, these people do not uphold Islam and are not its vanguards and do nothing to promulgate this great religion of ours.

When called out on their ignorance, they neither humble themselves and consider the possibility of error or even investigate further but adopt an attitude of confrontation and arrogance.

Again, what a marked contrast to the Sahaba who appreciated being reminded especially when the Qur'an and Hadith were recited to them.

We should never be afraid to defend our religion, even if it's just a solitary Hadith.

se7en
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2012 09:05 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

First of all, I will not question or doubt your intentions in this discussion, so I hope you can engage with me in the same way.  Let me break down what I was trying to say in a few points, and you can let me know if you agree or disagree:

1. The first point I made was not with the intention of casting doubt on anyone's words, but a request not to take something which has been called an "allegation" - even in the very source you are citing - as a fact and spread it around as such.  It is a Quranic imperative not to do so, and doing so actually causes harm to to the very cause you are seeking to advocate.  If it comes to light that a specific allegation is unfounded while people insist that it is fact, others who are not as familiar with the case may begin to doubt everything related to it (in this case doubt that abuses have taken place at all).  This was not said with an objective of "suppressing" what has been done to Aafia Siddiqui, but an objection to the title of the first article.  

2. The second point was not about McDonalds, but that was an example of the completely irrational types of behavior some Muslims engage in when emotions are fired up, and what happens when they are not channeled into something meaningful and effective.  It is so ludicrous an act (of tuning one's emotions into something that has absolutely no benefit and actually brings about harm) that it is the first example that came to mind.  I can understand how it came across as callous because of how my statement was phrased, so that I do apologize for (and have since edited).

Here is my question for you: What do you think people can do to help change things?  

I think that awareness about these types of crimes and brutality are important and necessary if they are empowering: meaning they cause the reader to feel motivated to do something positive to change things.  But if they only stir up emotions that cause people to despair, I think it only causes people to lash out in ways that are unIslamic and there is no benefit in that long or short term and does nothing to help those who are suffering.

No one can deny that Aafia Siddiqui has faced and is facing incredible injustices and cruelty in her life that no human being should have to experience, and I hope you do not understand these points as trying to deny that.

Allah knows best, and may Allah forgive us for our mistakes.

salaam,
moderatesufi
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2012 03:28 PM »

My responses to you have been deleted, so I will not waste my time repeating what I have said only for it to be deleted again.
I find it completely reprehensible that when news has arrived to you about the way a Muslim sister is treated a lot of people here seem more concerned with a potential Muslim reaction to such news then what is happening to Muslims.
No wonder Americans and their Zionist masters feel so free in doing such oppression to Muslims.
Many of my posts about the untrustworthiness of holocaust reports have been deleted here. These stories are from Non-Muslims who have a vested Interest in lying, and many of whome have been proved to be liars.
No one here feels the need to prove the facts of their statements, or any statement from the Kaffir Media what so ever.
But the above post from a Muslim newspaper, quoting Aafia's own sister, a Muslim is some how unproven.
If the above facts are truthful enough for Aafia's sister to state, and a non-Government controlled News paper in a Muslim country to print it is truthful enough for me to use here.
Many here have stated it isn't proven enough for them, to them I ask, do you use this same criteria for all the posts you past here from the Zionist press you past here?
All the posts attacking Muslims you past here?
Do you use the same stringent criteria you adopt on posts highlighting the crimes committed by the enemies of Allah against Muslims that you do for posts attacking Muslims often written by the enemies of Allah and their Zionist controlled press?

Fear Allah.
The fact that Aafia was in American hands as soon as she went missing many years ago was known. The fact that she was held in Bagram for all those years and tortured in the most vile ways was known. But the reports coming out of American torture centres of such were ignored, using the same excuse you use know to cover up these reports. That is why they felt so free in doing what they did to her.
And the fact that any news of the torture they inflict on her now, will be covered up by you, and your country men with the excuses that you write above is the reason they feel free in doing what ever torture they do to her now and will continue doing to her.
They have nothing to fear. there is no Khilafah to send armies to free her, and their are few with the courage to even repeat news that comes out of their torture centres about what they do to her.
It is Aafia in their now, but in some future date it could be you or your family. When that happens, and news comes out of your ill treatment, would you insist on it not being repeated unless and until your substantiation criteria you insist should be used before news of Aafia's treatment is met?

Jannah
When Khilafah is established the Khalif will be able to use the entire means available to the state to free the sister.
Maybe the state will free America from Zionist rule too, and you will finally have free health care like much of the rest of the world.
Until that day the least we can do is to condemn what they do to Aafia and many many others.
BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2012 04:18 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

If the above facts are truthful enough for Aafia's sister to state, and a non-Government controlled News paper in a Muslim country to print it is truthful enough for me to use here

Hmmm...so the criteria for relaying information is a trusted close family member or a trusted non Government newspaper and not the Sunnah of our Prophet saw?

As has been said above, the information was actually relayed inaccurately/incorrectly which is why it got deleted. (They did not categorically say she was pregnant due to rape, but the thread title did)

But moving on (since it is unlikely there is ever going to be an admission of wrongdoing here), there is wider issue here of upholding the principles of Islam whether it is in our favour or not.

Being just and adhering to justice is equally applicable if you are a Muslim or a non Muslim.

No Muslim in their right mind would accuse a fellow Muslim of rape and causing a pregnancy unless they were in possession of undeniable evidence to that effect.

Why then do we not apply the same criteria to a non Muslim?

Are we saying our laws only apply to Muslims and not to non Muslims? Are we saying non Muslims are not deserving of the same level of scrutiny as Muslims? Are we saying that their [non Muslim’s] previous oppression and injustices against us give us the right to act outside of our Shariah?

It is a Quranic imperative not to do so, and doing so actually causes harm to the very cause you are seeking to advocate.  If it comes to light that a specific allegation is unfounded while people insist that it is fact, others who are not as familiar with the case may begin to doubt everything related to it (in this case doubt that abuses have taken place at all).

The fact remains that, Alhamdulillah, Sr Aafia is not pregnant due to being raped but who would ever believe us again if we had propagated this story all over the world and raised awareness and emotions amongst the Ummah only to find out it was a fabrication?

There is good reason in Islam why a confirmed liar can never have his/her testimony accepted and, as such, we all need to be vigilant  in the words that we allow to pass our lips and/or type with our hands.

Br moderatesufi, my apologies for using you as a bit of a scapegoat to get this message across but it seemed liked a perfect opportunity to do so.

Perhaps we should continue this discussion offline, so feel free to message me if you want to talk through further.

Wasalaam
BrKhalid

um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2012 07:32 PM »

salam

OK brs and srs, let's calm down and focus a bit.  Given the original news article posted by br. moderatesuf, a useful discussion can be had  about:

- how can we bring awareness to Aafia Siddiqui's case (in the US)
- who to contact to verify the news
- what can be done to help her

The poor lady has family residing in the US.  She is being held in a high security facility. 

Let's not lose sight of the real goal of the original article, which in my view, was a call to (peaceful) action.

Yes I see that I may not agree with the seemingly angry tone, but let's focus on content rather than context.    Let's move beyond what has been said already and actually try to do something.

So, just few ideas here. Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have both been invited as observes during her trial in 2010.  Can they be contacted now and asked to gain access to her in prison to check how she is treated?  Are there any journalists in the US who can be approached to investigate this??

Ms. Siddiqui has been indicted with serious offenses and as such it is pretty hard to find sympathizers with her in the US, so this would be the challenge.  But human rights groups might intervene if they were presented with credible reports. 

Can we overlook our different take on things right now and try to accomplish something? 

take care
moderatesufi
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2012 10:49 PM »

Responding to Afia's plight
 Wednesday, 25 January 2012 22:18  Sharique Naeem

The news of Afia contracting cancer, is another horrific incident in the long list of violations of Human rights carried out by the U.S . Such news are frequently brought to our attention, exposing the heinous crimes by U.S in its decade old war of terror, however our rulers (and those in line) have become oblivious to these sufferings of Muslims, and they only engage in the pursuit of their own interests. One wonders if this has always been the state of the Muslims and their Rulers?

Today we find ourselves helpless under both Democracy and Dictatorship. However, contrary to this, the past was very different.

There was a time in our History, that once it so happened, that in a Roman City, one Muslim sister was attacked. Unlike the far graver atrocities that are reported today, only to fall on deaf years of our rulers, this news of attack reached the then ruler of the Caliphate. When the Caliph, Mutasim Billah heard about the cry of the women, calling "Ya Mutasim", he was stunned. He immediately ordered a meeting, for which an emergency Adhan (Sixth Adhan) was given in the Masjid, and the relevant personals gathered. They inquired the Caliph, "What is the matter?", to which he replied, "a report has reached me that one Muslim sister was abused in a Roman city." He proceeded, "Wallahi, I will send an army that is so big that when it reaches them it will still be leaving our bases. And tell me the strongest city of these Romans and I will send the army to that city." This was the decisive response of the Khalifah, when the honor of one of our sisters/mothers was touched.

It is noteworthy to note the swift and decisive response of the Caliphate, with regards to protection of human rights. The Caliph did not send a team of lawyers to take up the issue in the courts of Romans, nor did he dispatched State diplomats to plea and request the 'safety' of the victim. The Islamic state did not delay the matter to first gauge public sentiments. Neither did the Muslim rulers exploit the issue for their own personal gain. This ability of the Islamic state was not merely confined to the 'character' of the then Ruler, but stemmed from legal framework of the Caliphate, i.e. the Shariah Law. Which obliged rulers to take notice, authorized the Caliph to make quick decisions, and operate a robust foreign policy, in which the State, ventured to rescue the women, by taking on a prominent power i.e. the Romans. Such decisive maneuvers are impossible within the confinements of the nation state models and democratic (or dictatorial) mode of governance found in the divided Muslim world today. A Caliphate can change this for the better, and our past, is testimonial to this.

by Engr. Sharique Naeem ( shariq_n@hotmail.com)

About the author

Sharique Naeem is an automation engineer and political commentator. His writings have been published in national newspapers of Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Yemen, Libya & Iran. He can be reached at shariq_n@hotmail.com He tweets at @shariquenaeem
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2012 01:03 AM »

This thread is now closed. Please take the rest of this discussion offline.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: