// Question
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: A man who makes $10,000 a year and saves $1000 is richer than a man who makes $1,000,000 a year and spends $1,000,000
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question  (Read 654 times)
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« on: Feb 03, 2012 03:01 AM »

Asalam Alaikum Madina,

I need advice:
I am trying to decide whether or not to make an issue out of this...

This is part of a dress code at my next placement for student teaching. Something about the wording is really bothering me… or am I just being too sensitive? Keep in mind this is a PUBLIC school but they refer to it as a “traditional” school.

Students are not to wear hats, bandanas, scarves or other head coverings in the school building.  Students who are required because of health or religious reasons to wear a hat or other head covering in the building will need to notify the building principal to be excused from the policy.

What do you guys think?
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2012 03:32 AM »

I think this is pretty standard for most public schools. 

The public high school here has something like that, and a friend's daughter, who covers, just brought in a note from the imam and everything was fine.  Even when they started requiring a uniform, the girl was able to "Islamically modify" it.

Hopefully, insha Allah, it won't be a problem for you.

um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2012 05:36 PM »

salam

Yes this is a bit traditional, but not out of the ordinary.  In some Christian traditions, it is considered disrespectful to have a hat or a head covering on while indoors.  I don't know if it makes sense, but this is how they see it. 

take care. 
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2012 10:35 PM »

Yes, most schools are very strict on their dress code. But you can usually talk to the principal or the counselor to modify the dress to add hijab. The rationale is that a same uniform gives unity, a sesne of belonging, pride/belonging, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: