Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

A dua on both your houses.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: British English vs Normal English :p  (Read 2132 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Feb 16, 2012 09:06 PM »

salam,

came across this today and brings me back to the times we used to try to translate slang from both sides of the atlantic Smiley

true or false??

Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2012 02:02 AM »

That's a warped sense of diplomacy. No wonder the understanding of the others is completely out of context. I'd rather you tell me what you mean. Oh, well, that is being British for you.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2012 04:16 AM »

lol I find all the above completely true when talking to british ppls. It's actually amazing how helpful it is now

allrightey then 'top of the mornin to ya mates!! cheers!
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2012 03:18 PM »

salam

hmm....very interesting.

(now runs out before someone throws something at her.)
ruhee
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
ruhee has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2012 04:20 AM »

I got everything except for the invitation....uh oh
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2012 05:42 PM »

Hmm I wonder when I will know English....

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2012 07:54 AM »

Hmm I wonder when I will know English....

sadah we miss your posts bro!! what do we have to wait until ramadan again till you come back?!!
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2012 03:20 PM »

Im still having trouble adjusting my American english to understanding Australian english... the colloquial terms here just are the strangest things.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2012 02:48 PM »

Salaams,

Is the slang of britons any weirder than that of their amreeki counter-parts ?

Slang: "Labtop"
1. A word that inexperienced college freshmen (most often girls) call their new laptops.

2. What wannabe thugs and other ghetto people call laptops. Also used by ignorant white people. When one says labtop, the "a" is usually excessively stressed.

I just got me a new laaaabtop.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=labtop

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
sadah
Brother
Bro

sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2012 06:21 AM »

I miss the forum too sister Jannah. But we are going to be together from now on inshaallah.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2012 06:55 AM »

Salaams,

I miss the forum too sister Jannah. But we are going to be together from now on inshaallah.

Hi,

Who are you? Did you introduce yourself using 'the tempalte' ??

Here's my intro: http://www.jannah.org/madina/archives/year2005/1114702030.shtml

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2012 07:56 AM »

Hard2hit why you trying to start a fight in every thread over here!! We've banned most of the troublemakers 'round here...

-The sheriff  
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2012 09:15 AM »

Hard2hit why you trying to start a fight in every thread over here!! We've banned most of the troublemakers 'round here...

-The sheriff 

Lets settle this once and for all, like real men. Err... I mean like a man and a mod.

sadah
Brother
Bro

Dont be sad...

« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2012 07:42 AM »

H2H I suppose you can know from my membership status if I introduced myself or not. I was active when moderatesufi was reigning and now that we have you, I think I'm going to stick around...lol

Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2012 11:15 AM »

Did you just try to compare me to moderatesufi ?

You *points* shouldn't have done that !

sadah
Brother
Bro

Dont be sad...

« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2012 05:40 PM »

Uh huh... But I mean you are similar in keeping the forum lively and not unidirectional.

imaazh
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 17
imaazh has no influence :(

« Reply #16 on: Aug 03, 2012 02:58 PM »

LOL   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy at "With the greatest respect." --- I've used that so often, especially when talking to elders while trying to politely disagree, but I tend to say "with all due respect sir/uncle/mr...".

... the colloquial terms here just are the strangest things.

I agree, and this coming from someone who has lived in Australia all their life.  But the colloquialisms aren't just strange for ppl new to Australia, they're strange to a lot of Aussies that were born here, especially the new generation. 

Sometimes when you hear the politicians use Aussie colloquialisms on TV its like  Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Why don't you say what you really mean?  How are ppl supposed to vote for you if you talk in riddles?

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #17 on: Aug 04, 2012 10:16 AM »

wow thats scary. very informative info!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: