// Shahs of Sunset: New Show on Bravo!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Find a job you like and you add five days to every week.- H J Browne
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shahs of Sunset: New Show on Bravo!  (Read 1020 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Mar 11, 2012 08:32 AM »

The show I was talking about in the other thread. Was curious to watch it before, but now after this... an Iranian Jersey Shore ugh  smack

----------------------------------

The Children of Old Tehran Go Hollywood

‘Shahs of Sunset’ on Bravo, About Iranian-Americans
NYT

That “Shahs of Sunset,” a reality show about affluent, not-so-young Iranian-Americans in Los Angeles, is coming out while war with Iran is being discussed might seem opportunistic. But “Shahs” could actually serve a valuable function. You can imagine the average contemporary Iranian watching it and thinking: “Ah, that’s why we needed the revolution. To get rid of these people.”

Not that “these people” actually exist. The stars of “Shahs,” which begins on Sunday on Bravo, are members of the reality tribe, defined not by ethnicity, nationality or religion, but by preening, boastfulness, obsession with appearances, crassness, conformism, thin skin and a tendency to violence. As the wrasse has evolved to keep other fish clean, the reality star has evolved to keep us entertained and make us feel superior. After which we could really use a wrasse.

The resolutely generic “Shahs” has been pre-emptively categorized as the Persian “Jersey Shore” and compared to the “Real Housewives” shows (also on Bravo) and the Kardashian family shows (also from Ryan Seacrest Productions). But the closest comparison by far is to the gloriously shallow, comically aspirational British series “The Only Way Is Essex,” which people involved in “Shahs” must have studied closely.

The difference is that the British, maintaining some pride in craftsmanship, take the trouble to turn “Essex” into a stylized, streamlined work, nearly indistinguishable from fiction. The lazier, broader, pseudo-documentary American approach is on display in “Shahs,” which, like so many domestic reality shows, has a snappy opening montage front-loaded with the best bits — “We don’t work in buildings, we own them!”; “I don’t like ants, and I don’t like ugly people” — followed by an hour of random irritation and spirit-sapping triviality.

And yet the real estate agents, real estate developers and real estate investors of “Shahs of Sunset” are a more diverting bunch than the high school football coaches and community activists of the well-meaning, admirable but prosaic “All-American Muslim” on TLC. As “Shahs of Sunset” moves through familiar reality TV scenes — the catty boutique visit; the acrimonious dinner party at which bigotries are aired; the silicone-injected, jealousy-ridden pool party — there are wayward moments that raise us out of our torpor.

The proudly gay developer who speaks of the difficulty of coming out makes Mexican jokes as he walks through a dilapidated building. The artist who is labeled a hippie loser by her friends arrives at the pool party in a chauffeured car. The balding, paunchy, rich guy who hosts a pool party provides a caged tiger for his guests’ amusement, though we can’t be sure if that was his idea or if it was suggested by the show’s producers.

There’s actually a terrific story beneath the tawdry surface of “Shahs of Sunset,” about a generation of cosmopolitan Iranians who prospered under the Pahlavi dynasty and fled to America, where they tried to recreate their lives in a Southern California enclave. But that’s the story of these people’s parents, who are a peripheral presence in the show’s first episode. You can imagine that fictional Iranian citizen muttering about trust-fund babies and wondering exactly how much cash these families carried out of the country 30 years ago.

The one really unfortunate thing about “Shahs of Sunset” is the way it exploits, and will in turn amplify, a previously localized phenomenon: the longstanding stereotyping of Los Angeles’s Iranian-Americans as vulgar, materialistic show-offs who don’t fit in among the city’s supposedly more cultured elites. Perhaps future episodes will take this on, exposing the superficial gloss of Southern California tolerance, but that might be a little too much to ask.

Shahs of Sunset

Bravo, Sunday nights at 10, Eastern and Pacific times; 9, Central time.

Produced by Ryan Seacrest Productions. Ryan Seacrest, executive producer.
pearl
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
pearl has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2012 04:47 PM »

Wow, Jannah! I don't think I could make it through an hour of this show, even if I tried.

Based on the reviews and clips of the show, it sounds like another one of those programs that makes you sit up and ask "What is WRONG with these people?Huh? And why do they have their own show?Huh?"

For the record, some are Muslim and some are Jewish.  But somehow, I don't think religion is a very high priority with any of them.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2012 09:01 PM »

lol 1 hour!! try 5 mins... that's all i could withstand of Essex... Jane Austen or even contemporary English stuff it is not!!!
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2012 06:54 AM »

Update!!

OK,

I made the mistake of being bored enough to watch this.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh what a train wreck.

This makes "All American Muslims" look like a goody two-shoes perfect highbrow Academic PBS/BBC news hour.

I'd like everyone who was so critical of All American Muslims to watch this and see the alternative. At least on All American Muslims they picked mostly practicing Muslims and discussed all Islamic issues every episode!

This show is the same as any of those crazy reality shows like The Kardashians or Desperate Housewives of Atlanta or whatever. All about fights, language, sex, no clothes and showing how disgustingly wealthy some ppl are.

When someone said the word "Muslim" on Shahs of Sunset I was like ? ?? where am i??

Yeah watch this only if you watch that junk. I will give them props for picking the most egotistical materialistic wack ppl out there. I'm sure they edited it that way, but wow.

The only thing I liked is that they chose to show some Iranian Jews as well as Iranian Muslims.

Yeah that's about it, the end. !!  bolt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: