// Who Among You Lives in or Around Santa Clara County, CA?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Never argue at the dinner table, for the one who is not hungry always gets the best of the argument. - Richard Whately
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Among You Lives in or Around Santa Clara County, CA?  (Read 4572 times)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« on: Mar 29, 2012 11:06 PM »

A.A. Madinites,

Wifey and I are going to be there for around 4 weeks, starting 21st of April.

Her birthday is on 23rd so i'm looking for a good place to go to, late Sunday night.

I've heard that San Jose is a pretty safe place to roam around even at odd hours. Is it the case really?

And is anyone among you from there?? We should hook up inshaAllah, especially if you got a car AND some time to show us around Wink

Let me know... (i'll keep shamelessly bumping this thread, since I want to make this trip count, and dont want to utilize it for work only!)

Wasalam.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
Nafs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2012 11:27 PM »

Walaikummmmmm Asalaaaam,

I am a few hours south of Santa Clara but I have family up north Cheesy San Jose is one of the better cities up there (cousins moved there recently for that reason!). Fremont's nice when it comes in regards to diversity Smiley and there are a lot of Afghans there Cheesy

If you are looking for places to eat, I can recommend some? lol okay not that many but one is better than none!
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2012 06:37 PM »

A.A.

Thanks for the pointers Nafs. My CEO told me that Santa Cruz is probably the most beautiful costal side highways in the world? And due to that very reason i'm getting my international license made inshaAllah shadyguy

I'll mostly stay in and around silicon valley during my 4 weeks stay. And yeah, i'm definitely looking for places to eat, and can do with more recommendations. I have a couple places in mind, one is halal chinese and other one is halal indian. Would love some Afghani lamb chomps also Wink

I also need to figure a way to visit auntie kathy's place. Haven't looked at the map and distances yet though...

Wasalam.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2012 06:55 PM »

I also need to figure a way to visit auntie kathy's place. Haven't looked at the map and distances yet though...

Thats cute lol.  NY is on the East Coast and Cali is on the West Coast, meaning it's about a 7 hour plane trip between them!!
silver
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
silver has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2012 02:10 AM »

My husband who recently spent some time there for an internship says that you:
1 ) Must visit San Francisco 2 ) Alcatraz 3 ) Golden gate bridge (of course).
4 ) Should try Shalimar Restaurant. Shan is also good. (we are desi food fans  bebzi)
5 ) Visit Great America Park 6 ) Intel museum.
7 ) Santa Clara mall 8 ) Gilroy (premium outlet mall).
and probably there is nothing much to do at night. Have an awesome trip inshaAllah!
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2012 07:02 PM »

A.A.

Great recommendations Sis Silver and Mr. Silver! I was searching online for something like Alcatraz but didnt find it last night.

I presume Shalimar and Shan are in Silicon Valley?

Thats cute lol.  NY is on the East Coast and Cali is on the West Coast, meaning it's about a 7 hour plane trip between them!!

Wow...

How about all of you madinites group at SFO airport to welcome me Huh? That way i'll meet all of you in one go Wink

A plane trip would be costly than train right ? How much time does a train take from Cali to NY ? I'll also googlify the train distances and tickets...

Too bad bro William doesn't post anymore, he's one brother I would love to meet!

silver
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2012 07:14 PM »

I presume Shalimar and Shan are in Silicon Valley?

Yup.

And the restaurant at the SC Islamic center is also quite good.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2012 12:15 AM »

That's perfect SIS Silver!

And I tried to strike a deal with an ex colleague who now has moved to Fremont. He is in Lahore these days without a car, I asked him to use my vitz for a couple of days, and in return let me use his old mustang when I'm in SC. But he didnt seem too keen to my surprise!

My car is super cool... Anyone you guys know who has a family where I live and is willing to exchange cars on need basis then let me know. I've heard there is a lot of documentation involved in renting a car. I might also very shamelessly ask my boss to lend me his, for a 2 day long date with wifey.

Any takers?

Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2012 07:57 AM »

Salaams Madinites!

How does this list connect and sound, in addition to the places above?

Six Flags Magic Mountain
http://www.daytrippen.com/six-flags-magic-mountain.html

Big Sur cafe, CA
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danamite/1315258635/#in/set-72157603687265270/
http://www.totalescape.com/destin/california-towns.php?tid=43

Gold Lake
http://www.totalescape.com/destin/california-towns.php?tid=171

Josua Tree
http://www.totalescape.com/active/campstuff/NP/joshua.html

California Science Academy
http://www.californiadaytrips.com/california-academy-sciences.html

Clear lake
http://www.totalescape.com/destin/california-towns.php?tid=89

Napa Valley
http://www.totalescape.com/active/leisure/winery/napa.html

Shelter Cove, California
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31291809@N05/6782591051/#in/pool-79118259@N00/

Convict Lake California High Sierra
http://www.californiadaytrips.com/convict-lake.html

Pinnacles
http://www.totalescape.com/active/campstuff/NM/pinncl.html

silver
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2012 03:30 PM »

It seems that you are looking at a larger radius. You must then visit Lake Tahoe. Its really beautiful. You can do kayaking and stuff there.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2012 01:39 AM »

A.A.

That lake looks quite scenic. How far is it from San Jose, or Fremont ?

And I've lined up few ex-colleagues / friends as my hosts already! Seems like my stay is mostly gonna be in Cali (Fremont, San Jose, San Frans), and Washington (Redmond (got quite a few friends in MSFT, and Seattle (a close friend from school) )

Now lets just hope that they dont get busy any particular weekend. I knew previously, and started to feel it again that most people are so darn busy in their lives, that they simply dont have time for many activities even on the weekends!

And in my search, I found this : http://www.santamonicatoday.com/webcam/

There seem to be many street cams around, what does the law say 4 them?

Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2012 11:15 AM »

Sis Silver, Others

Do you have any traveling experience on Amtrak. Their Coast line service from SFO to Seattle seems quite nice and scenic. http://www.amtrak.com

I'm planning to visit friends in Redmond and Seattle. What I wanted to know is whether Amtrak offers halal food and is there anyone you know who has direct experience. Else we'll take frozen cooked food along (i'll go with tikkas, kebabs, and chickcheese nuggets)

Now please stop dreaming about food, and help a brother out here...

Wasalam.

Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2012 05:04 AM »

*bump*

Plan from my friend in Redmond:

Places to visit...

Skagit Tulip Festival - Its one and half hour dive from Redmond/Seattle so we need to see it its worth going there considering short time.

Snoqualmie Falls - We haven't been there and its only 30 minutes drive from my home so this we definitely should see.

tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #13 on: Apr 18, 2012 02:51 PM »

Assalamo elikuim

That lake looks quite scenic. How far is it from San Jose, or Fremont 

Lake Tahoe is roughly 4-5 hours from San Jose.  You will be passing Sacramento will going there, so if you are driving and you have time you might want to stop and see the state capital(where the Governor sits ). Shouldnt take you longer than hour or so,its not that big.

Since you will be in SJ , and if you are craving Pakistani food , you should visit pakhwan- there buffets are great on weekends.
Also if you are interested , visit Stanford University campus , which is beautiful , Berkeley Campus which is pretty nice too and has lots of desi shops and restaurant and half moon bay also.

Wasalam
tq
silver
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2012 06:14 PM »

I know about caltrain which goes from SC to SF and it is good. Not sure about the one you mentioned.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2012 04:33 AM »

Sis Silver, TQ

Do you ladies still live in Cali ? Feel free to let me know if you need anything from Pakistan, we would be more than happy to bring that along. And add my wife if you use facebook, here's her profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1451680573

If you are too shy to ask us for gifts, then pay us... We would not charge you shipping or any profits. There are great ladies suites in the market these days that cost around 35 Dollars max. for the highest quality "casual wear" like the ones I posted in Akhwat Cafe

tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2012 02:17 PM »

Jazak Allah khair for the offer Br Hard2Hit - no I am not in Cali and recently got clothes from Karachi  Smiley
WOW $35 for good suites, ussually they are much higher in price here.

May you have a nice and funfilled trip, Ameen

Wasalam
tq
Nafs
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2012 01:39 AM »

Asalaam alaikum Brother,

I haven't used Amtrak myself but my sister and cousins have from southern California to northern California and it's fine. I highly doubt that halal meals are offered, I'd suggest just grab some of your own stuff as Northern California (where you will be) has tons of great food!

Here's what I found :

A Grand West Coast Train Adventure
En route daily between Los Angeles and Seattle, the Coast Starlight train passes through the San Francisco Bay Area, Santa Barbara, Sacramento and Portland. Widely regarded as one of the most spectacular of all train routes, the Coast Starlight links the greatest cities on the West Coast.

The scenery along the Coast Starlight route is unsurpassed. The dramatic snow-covered peaks of the Cascade Range and Mount Shasta, lush forests, fertile valleys and long stretches of Pacific Ocean shoreline provide a stunning backdrop for your journey.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245648567

All the best Smiley
silver
Sis

« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2012 02:05 AM »

This amtrak looks awesome. InshaAllah will ride it some day.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2012 10:11 PM »

A.A.

Friday night: BBQ dinner at friend-1's place.
Saturday night: Food marathon at friend-2's place
Whole Sunday: Highway-1 -> Santa Cruz -> Big Sur-> Pfiffer beach. Amazing amazing place !

Tonight: Dinner with wifey to celebrate her bday
Tomorrow 7:30AM - Motor bike ride with an ABCD friend Wink

Remember in duas... my Seattle trip is becoming a bit difficult, dont wanna miss that.

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #20 on: Apr 24, 2012 02:10 AM »

Saturday night: Food marathon at friend-2's place
I like the sound of that!
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #21 on: Apr 25, 2012 07:48 PM »

A.A.

Guess who I met yesterday! "Bro Muslim" who used to frequent here back in 2007/2008. He was with another name on another forum, I didnt know till I met him. And he also knows Siddique, but I haven't interacted with Siddique on here. Let me know if anyone wants to say their Salam to the bro, I might meet him soon.

Some pics...

Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012 03:20 PM »

A.A.

Friends took me to Googleplex, Stanford, Berkeley, and my boss funded my disney trip =)

Pics

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012 05:31 PM »

wsalam,

ur like way too happy!! where's pics of ur wife!! Angry  we want to see her and what she thought of eveyrthing! tell her to post in our sisters only section! k glad u had a good time in amreeka and that u didn't get harassed. u'll have to tell us of ur impressions and what u thought of everything.

Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012 06:44 AM »

A.A.

Wifey is extremely busy with kids these days. I can push her to sign up and post pics but that will be like forcing her Smiley

So instead, let me IM/email you her pics, just got her permission (and of course you would delete them after viewing Wink "Baji" has seen her pics though, so did desertrose I think!

As for getting harassed... not even a tiny bit! My friends living there had cautioned me of things, but nothing of that sort happened! We got cleared from immigration counter in like 5 minutes like everyone else. We boldly walked into places that a first timer probably wouldn't imagine going, and did things that fobs would be quite scared of doing (like my colleague). Couple of times we went to San Jose downtown around 11pm, and walked past the weirdest looking folks with a smile. I think its probably them who got harassed by my size and looks Tongue

We loved the weather there, and I found people in Cali quite friendly. Everyone passed by with a smile and a hello, perhaps because I was accompanied by a gorgeous looking lady =). The only straight faces I got was in Palo Alto, the rich people neighborhood... we had a friends get together / brunch there.

Santa Cruz, Big Sur and Pfiffer beach are breathtaking... some more pics!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: