Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Apr 23, 2014 11:30 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'On Friendship'  (Read 657 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Apr 11, 2012 05:34 AM »

Wrote this for the blog, thought I'd get ur thoughts before publishing it...

On Friendship

There's a scene in Dil Chahta Hai where the three protagonists right after their college graduation take a road trip to a resort. They're overlooking the beautiful ocean in the distance and one says, "We should meet out here every 10 years!". And the more mature and wiser one of them says (of course what is to be an omen, this is Bollywood u know! Smiley), "What makes you think we'll meet even once in the next 10 years or that we'll still be friends then?"

When we are little we always imagine that we'll grow up with our close friends, get married and live near each other with our husbands and kids! I still remember us making plans with friends when we were 15 and 16. Sadly that group of friends' plans fizzled when college started and everyone was flung out all over the US and world even. Somehow over time people lose touch, misunderstandings and miscommunications occur. People change, they get busy, they develop new interests and patterns, the dynamics of the group change, new people come in, jealousy and unnecessary drama, all contribute to the end of what was in its naive innocence a close friendship.

I think close friendships that are positive relationship wise and not predatory (using each other for something) are very rare to find. Perhaps the best example we can find is the friendship between Rasulullah (s) and Abu Bakr (ra). Neither "used" the other for anything but yet were always supportive and there for each other. When Rasulullah (saw) left for the Hijrah, who did he find but Abu Bakr (ra) with a horse and provisions ready to be his companion. When Rasulullah (saw) asked for help for the cause of Allah, Abu Bakr (ra) came with all the money he had to the exasperation of Omar (ra) who said he might as well stop competing now! When asked who he loved the most in the world Rasulullah (saw) said Abu Bakr (ra), and when asked who next he said his (Abu Bakr's) daughter.

Friendship is definitely a two way street. It's sad when people stop hanging out or calling each other etc. I know I've neglected a lot of friendships because of my own issues and problems. But as I get older, I realize that it's really important to keep in touch and keep those friendships alive. It seems 20xs harder to make new friends as you get older too! I actually wish I kept more in touch with my old high school and college friends too.

This is a reminder to myself perhaps how precious good friends are and how they are needed on this 'Road to Jannah'.
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2012 11:25 AM »

I love this post. I dont know about you guys, but I find that 1 or 2 good friends are much better than a whole slew of ok friends. My best friend and I have known each other since we were 10, so almost 15 years now. Even when we are out of touch for a few months we can still pick up right where we left off. My other best friend Ive had since university, so weve known each other nearly 7 years now.

The best thing about these 2 girls is
- they are really good muslim girls, so we help each other out a lot
- friendship is a two way street with them
- they are supportive but still give the honest perspective that is sometimes needed.

Most people you make friends with are short time friends. Jobs, school/uni, marrying, moving, etc all create change, which means we change friends and support systems. I think its natural. But the one or 2 friendships you do retain are so so worth it Smiley
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2012 12:13 PM »

I never really had a "best" friend and so I thought that maybe they don't really exist. However, I've been friends with this guy for three and a half years now but we've become really close since a little more than a year. So now, I'm kinda thinking that maybe there might be such a thing after all.
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2012 07:28 PM »

I really get annoyed when someone asks me to befriend a person so that  he/she could be of some help  to me in future.I would not like someone to do that with me either.

Unfortunately this is how work is being done nowadays. Use of  important "contacts" and "recommendations"   have become a major way of getting all important things done.

Friendship, on the  otherhand,should be  unconditional and sadly not much of such kind exists anymore.

Yes I do feel lonely at times,especially now,when all my friends have moved abroad/married.

People stay in touch for long if they feel strongly about the relation,or else it is always a companionship lasting as long as school/college/job lasts.Very few turn out to be the long term "real" friends.

Having a true friend is a blessing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: