Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Apr 17, 2014 05:14 AM

News:

Such stuff as dreams are made of...interpreted by Ibn Sireen.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Islamic story books for kids? (was 'Muslim books for young girls?')  (Read 2194 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: May 03, 2012 04:30 PM »

Salam, Can anyone help with some suggestions??

===========================

Assalamu alaikum sister,

Love the new design of your blog. (FYI I'm a faithful follower of your blog, I just hardly ever have time to comment - or am I just lazy lol )

I'm hoping you'll be able to help me as you seem to read a lot. My daughter's 7 yrs old and she got the reading bug, just like her mummy. Obviously, like all little girl, she's into the Little House on the Prairie, Amelia Jane ( Enid Blyton ) and so. She's also developing an interest in Jacqueline Wilson ( needless to say that some of her books are not appropriate for little girls ).

My request is pretty simple: as she grows older and read more and more, I'd like her to read more "muslim" orientated books however, I'm struggling to find anything. I know of a few books such as Does my head look big in this or The size of a mustard seed but none of them seem appropriate for an under 10 ( they're islamically appropriate but she's too young for the content of the books ).

We live in the UK however I'm not British myself and, although she speaks my language perfectly, she can't really read it. I'm struggling quite a bit to find books appropriate for a) her age b) her ethics. I remember what i used to read at her age but most of those books are not available in English.

Do you reckon you could help us? Are you able to think back to what you used to enjoy reading when you were in primary school ( hope you don't mind taking a trip down memory lane ).

Jzk in advance sister.

Walakum salam.
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012 04:40 PM »

If she likes cats, there's a nice series called "Warriors".  It's not Islamic as such, but there's nothing bad in them.  And they're good stories, talking about friendship and bravery, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Warriors-Box-Set-Erin-Hunter/dp/0061477931/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336059372&sr=1-2

Riat8883
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 25
Riat8883 barely matters :(Riat8883 barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012 05:35 PM »

Salaam,
I teach at a primary school. The library has these Saeed Reader series. They have different levels so you chose according to age and ability. I'll find out how you can get them tomorrow Insha-Allah.
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 79
Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012 09:55 AM »

I was a huge reader (still am) and I found a huge problem with the utter absence of any Islamic books for kids older than 8.

I can recommend loads of appropriate books though!

Enid Blyton was my entire childhood...get the Famous Five and the Malory Towers series.

I don't know if the Animal Ark series is still popular, I loved reading them when I was younger. They're all about a girl, adopted by two vets, and her adventures saving animals.

There's also the Doctor Dolittle series, sweet and funny stories about a man who can talk to animals.

Two series which I loved were The Magic Tree House and The Secrets of Droon. The magic tree house is possibly the best and most educational series I ever read when I was little. My younger brother is completely hooked on them, all about two siblings who travel through history from their tree house. It taught me sooooo much, especially as you can get accompanying non-fiction guides which explain the history behind each book. I think it's only recently been introduced to the UK cuz many of the books are about America? But most of them are world-centric.

The secrets of Droon are all about three kids who travel into the magical world of Droon through their basement. The series drags on a bit though, I think they're still being published and I started reading them years back. Make for nice reading though.

These are old, but maybe the Boxcar Children? It's a series all about a family of kids and their adventure with their grandfather after their parents die in an accident.

When I was in England the childrens books that I was impressed with were Miss Pepperpot and the Arthur Ransome books. Miss Pepperpot is a series about the adventures of a sweet old lady, and the Arthur Ransome books are a lot like Enid Blyton (but less sexist!), I think the first in the series is "Swallows and Amazons".

I can think of loads more but I was a bit of an advanced reader so I don't want to suggest anything too hefty for your daughter. Hope these helped!
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012 02:25 PM »

Wow! you guys are amazing. thanks for all the suggestions!! I'll definitely point the sister to this thread!!
umm ibraheem
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
umm ibraheem has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012 05:28 AM »

asalaamu alaikum,

Not all of my suggestions are specifically for girls, but I think they would be happy reading them (there are a few I haven't read):

The Jannah Jewels books: The Treasure of Timbuktu, and The Chase in China, Hijab and Basketball

The Islamic Rose series by Linda Delgado (four books, The Visitors...)

Ahmed Deen and Layla Deen books by Yahiya Emerick (I believe there are 4 of them)

Isabella a girl from Muslim Spain by Yahiya Emerick

Invincible Abdullah books (4 books)

Rashid and the Haupmann diamond (i think its called that)

Rashid and the missing body

Burning Boats by Zaynab Dawood (probably for a little older age, 12 and up)

Ibrahim Khan and the Mystery of the roaring lion

Ibrahim Khan and the Mystery of the Haunted Lake

The Seafaring beggar and other tales

Burhaan Khan Six Tales about Growing up by Qasim Najar

I believe most if not all can be found on Amazon.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2014 02:51 PM »

Salams,

Above suggestions ^ are great. Am looking for some more suggestions on new Islamic books for the nieces and nephews. All ages basically under 10. I like the story type books where the kids are protagonists doing something or facing some challenge and learn something. So hard to find some good ones!
umm ibraheem
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2014 02:15 PM »

Wa alaikum asalaam,

My girls like Cinderella an Islamic Tale and Snow White an Islamic tale, my son actually likes the Snow White one as well because it has jinn in it  Roll Eyes

Other new ones are The Victory Boys by Jamal Orme and another I have to ask my son about. Will get back to you soon insha Allah.

Uthman Hutchinson has some other short story books as well, mostly about kids having to overcome some difficulty.
umm ibraheem
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2014 05:16 PM »

And the last one we bought is: Muslim All Stars  http://www.amazon.com/Helping-Polonskys-All-Stars-Khaleel-Muhammad/dp/0860374548
I haven't read it but my son said it was fine.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2014 06:50 PM »

JazakiAllah khair I bought a number of those recommended. I especially liked that Cinderella/Snow white series, and the Ibrahim Khan one for the boys. I also picked up the Lost Ring, The House of Ibn Kathir, The Great Race to Sycamore St, Adventures in the Woods, Ramadan Moon, The Acorn & Berry Twins and for the little ones a few of those cute little Brother Ilm, Brother Dawah etc books.

I like the books that are like stories with Muslim characters and settings. Wish we had more of those!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: