// Owner 'sorry for' Muslim stylist
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Mercy: The Prophet said: 'Show mercy to those on earth so that He who is in heaven will have mercy on you.' (Sunan At-TirmidhĂ®)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Owner 'sorry for' Muslim stylist  (Read 1040 times)
nuh
« on: Apr 01, 2008 10:21 PM »

bbc.com

A salon owner accused of discriminating against a Muslim stylist because she wore a headscarf said she only gave her an interview out of pity.

Bushra Noah, 19, is suing the owner of the Wedge salon in King's Cross, north London, for religious discrimination after she failed to get a job there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7324813.stm
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2008 11:17 PM »

salaam
interesting article. so what do you guys think? I personally think it was the owners decsion, maybe the way she wants her business running is to have her employees style their hair after all it is a hairdresser business.
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2008 12:09 AM »

As salaamu alaikum

Well now, my professional area.  One, I'm going to assume that there was some sort of advertisment for the position, otherwise no one would have applied.  Giving that assumption, if the necessity of living locally and that part of the job duties included having stylist do each other's hair and have it on display were specifically mentioned in the notice, the shop owner has some issues.  If, filling the assistant stylist position was contingent upon the hiring of the primary stylist, that too should have been mentioned in the advertisement; absent that again the shop owner needs to explain. 

Since I'm certain that the interview was scheduled which means the parties spoke by phone, these other issues "distance" "hair styling display" should have been mentioned.  Clearly it would seem that the resume was submitted, reviewed, acceptable, interview scheduled and it was only after seeing the person did the shop owner come up with the lame excuses.  If such is the case, the it is indeed a matter that should move forward based on religious discrimination.  I'd be curious of all of the stylists in that shop live locally.

Even a small business is subject to the provisions of anti-discrimination laws.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: