// A man doing sajdat al shukr (The Prostration of Gratitude/Thankfulness) after t
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: The essence of knowledge is to know what obedience and worship are - abu Hamid al-Ghazali
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A man doing sajdat al shukr (The Prostration of Gratitude/Thankfulness) after t  (Read 1668 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Aug 15, 2012 01:52 AM »

Wow! How many us can really think of doing that? It reminded me of Sis lala mercy's recent accident and me facing seven gun men all pointing their guns at me and a colleague on December 31, 2005. Never thought of Salat Shukr then! These days, it is constantly on my mind.

A man doing sajdat al shukr (The Prostration of
Gratitude/Thankfulness) after the serious car accident

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2012 03:56 AM »

Salat ul shukr is something we do a lot in our house. Whenever I go to court whenever anything happens that is considered a 'lucky' escape or a 'victory' it's always been my mums stock reaction she does salat ul shukr and the person on the receiving end of the bounty has been instructed to do salatul shukr, if the event that has ocurred is amazing then we have been known to offer a prostration purely from thankfulness there and then followed by a proper two rakah salat later when able.

You were held at gunpoint?  Shocked

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2012 09:32 AM »

Salam alaikum

Sister Halima, what a wonderful picture that is! SubhanAllah...

a great reminder to all of us, and may Allah swt help us to be more thankful to Him for everything.
Salam
S.
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2012 09:57 AM »

Yes Sisters Fozia and Shahid. We should thank Allah for all mercies - big or small. I do it more these days - Salat Shukr. Even when I return home, safe and sound, I thank Allah.

You were held at gunpoint?  Shocked

Yes, twice in my life time. But Alhamdu Lillah, I lived to tell the story.  The second time, December 2005, I remember staring at the guns and all I could think of were my sons! The experience was horrifying. I hope nobody ever faces a situation like that but Muslims in Palestine, Kashmir, etc. do it everyday. And most never live to tell the tale. Subhanallah!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2012 03:11 PM »

Dumb question but how do you read this salat?  is it like reading two rakats nafl?

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2012 02:10 AM »

I am semi-embarrassed to admit it, but I have done this after Arsenal score an important goal, like say the 5-2 comeback against Spurs.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2012 02:20 AM »

sis Orangetree yes, as a way of expressing you're greatful to Allah

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2012 03:03 AM »

salam

Dumb question but how do you read this salat?  is it like reading two rakats nafl?

sujood al-shukr or prostration of gratitude is usually done on the spur of the moment.  

No wudoo/ablution is required.  There is no takbeer at the beginning and no tasleem at the end.  It is only one prostration. You just kneel and prostrate once and offer thanks to Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala and you say:

سبحان ربي الأعلى، سبحان ربي الأعلى ، سبحان ربي الأعلى

subhana rabbi al-a'ala (3 times)

then thank Allah specifically for the bounty that has just been bestowed upon you.  like hearing that you got accepted in university or having just survived a horrific accident.  

if you don't know the direction of the qibla, then it would be ok to prostrate in any direction, since this is not a salah, it is a sajdah.

take care
ume bilal
Sis

Reputation Power: 9
ume bilal has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2012 10:37 PM »

Asslm to all.
Is this not what Mo Farrah does when he won the gold medals in the Olympics.
I know I should do sajad al shukr more often. It reminds one of the goodness of Allah.
Ume Bilal
lucid
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2012 08:09 AM »

maybe he was kissing the ground.

thierry henry did it during his last home game at Highbury.

dunno no...
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2012 11:06 AM »

lucid, thierry henry's a muslim?
lucid
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Aug 19, 2012 03:23 AM »

lucid, thierry henry's a muslim?

I have no idea if thierry is Muslim.  However, there are more muslim players on Arsenal than any other club not in France.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: