// Driving from Minnesota to Michigan and back...
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Beware of extremism in religion, since those before you were only destroyed by extremism." - Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Blessings be upon him)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driving from Minnesota to Michigan and back...  (Read 3417 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: May 26, 2012 02:39 AM »

Recently - May 4-6, 2012, a friend of mine and I drove to Michigan from Minnesota. My cousin's last born daughter was graduating) and my niece (I posted pics of her wedding in a Sari on this board in 2009) had her second child - a boy. So, a combination of a graduation and a celebration of new a born took place on Saturday, May 5, 2012 with the celebratory lunch held at the Masjid hall.

My friend is not a driver and the responsibility of driving to and from (11 hrs either way) fell on me. We rented a 2012 Toyota Camry for the trip. Driving that car was an absolute pleasure. You don't feel like you are driving at all and get the sensation of flying - as if you are in plane. From Minnesota to Michigan, you have to drive through Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and finally Michigan. The return trip is the same. We left Minnesota at 6:15 a.m. and arrived in Michigan at 6:00 p.m. Spent Saturday in Michigan being part of the festivities, fun and joy among family and friends. My sister from Canada came with 3 of her four daughters, a niece from Canada and her daughter accompanied them. Got to see my son Haroun again after his one week visit here in December 2011.

We left Michigan on at 5:00 a.m. on May 6, 2012 for the return trip to Minnesota and arrived at 5:00 p.m. Minnesota is behind Michigan by 1 hour.  The country side is so beautiful. We stopped to refuel both ways. One of the beautiful places we saw is Wisconsin Dells. We had Coffee and Chai Latte (I am a Chai addict) at Starbucks after refueling on the return.

I had a camera with me but didn't even get the chance to take pics as much as I wished. But, I have of pics Bilal - the new born son of my niece, the graduation ceremony at Michigan State University and of the inside of the car.

It was an adventure. We gave a ride to a lady with her son who was visiting family in Minnesota.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012 04:55 PM »

A.A.

What was your top speed ? Smiley - I felt very bound in the US when it comes to a car's speed. You get huge engines but you can not run them faster than the very low speed limits! (or you get $500 fines!).

I mean whats the purpose of all those Dodge Chargers, Mustangs and 7 series BMWs... if you cant push them to the limit...

New Camry is good though, one of my friends gave me a ride in his Camry, other 3 friends had BMW-7, Mustang and VW.

And did you notice that owning a Prius is like the new Fad in US ?!

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012 06:10 PM »

Dude, if you wanna cross speed limits, you have to come to Hyderabad, we have absolutely no regard for them. The government built this new road circling the entire city and it's awesome for people who like speed. My best was 220 kmph(140 mph) in a friend's Nissan GTR, though I was in the passenger seat Grin. We've also started having drag races sponsored by the likes of MRF since 3-4 years. I heard Bangalore also has its own thing going.
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012 07:27 PM »

We've also started having drag races sponsored by the likes of MRF since 3-4 years. I heard Bangalore also has its own thing going.

Hey but they are not 'legal' right?
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012 07:41 PM »

We've also started having drag races sponsored by the likes of MRF since 3-4 years. I heard Bangalore also has its own thing going.

Hey but they are not 'legal' right?
They are! Are you living under a rock or what? Tongue I don't know who the organizers are but they've done a pretty good job. There's a road next to the airport and it's held there.
Mubaraka
Sis

Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012 06:00 AM »

They are! Are you living under a rock or what?  I don't know who the organizers are but they've done a pretty good job. There's a road next to the airport and it's held there.

Grin I did not know.I had heard that illegal races are being held here.
And seedhi saadhi girl like me would not know something like this Grin
So did u participate?

Speaking about the speed...what is the maximum speed ever  that u have made ur vehicle run with?

Mine was 120 kmph...pretty lame Tongue (But good for a learner like me)
akhan
Bro

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012 12:49 PM »

illegal races bi hai, around KBR park and similar areas..ORR is also a hotspot
and I can't drive a car let alone participate in a race, and my bike is too mileage friendly to be able to get into a bike race Grin
my top speed was probably 100, on the bike though..if I get a more powerful one, that figure's gonna change for sure..but people fear for their knees when they ride pillion with me in traffic Wink
and you can't be seedi saadi if you can do 120, there are very very few girls I know who can drive like that Smiley
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012 02:16 PM »

A.A.

The fastest bike I ever rode was some 13 years back. It was Suzuki Hayabusa, the fastest bike in the world at that time. But it was with a friend, I wasn't driving...

The thing I like about cars is their speed plus road grip. And its not just the size of the engine that should matter, driving skills must also count. Thats why I like beating drivers with big engines under them, while i'm on my small Vitz/Yaris Wink - and my car has the best road grip ever. Though the fastest it could ever go is 160Kmph (snapshot attached =)

So the racing I like is in regular traffic, where its one driver vs the other, and not merely one engine vs another. I recently beat  a driver with 3000 cc engine two weekends back, and a 4000 cc engine couple of months back. I enjoyed beating the latter more, since that was on a highway and that jeep was of a off-duty police officer... enjoyed each bit of that encounter! And my sister sitting next to me was in total shock due to all the zig zag...

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012 05:53 PM »

walaikum salam,

The baby is so cute mashaAllah! Congrats Smiley Driving in the midwest is a lot of fun. The highways are so nice! So many lanes and so wide and pretty empty. You could just set the cruise control and go~!!

Hmmm and boys stop speeding like that!!  policeman
akhan
Bro

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012 07:24 PM »

So the racing I like is in regular traffic, where its one driver vs the other, and not merely one engine vs another. I recently beat  a driver with 3000 cc engine two weekends back, and a 4000 cc engine couple of months back. I enjoyed beating the latter more, since that was on a highway and that jeep was of a off-duty police officer... enjoyed each bit of that encounter! And my sister sitting next to me was in total shock due to all the zig zag...
aha..I like that kind of racing too Smiley

Hmmm and boys stop speeding like that!!  policeman
it's not just us..there's a girl too over here who does that..or does one girl not tick off another Huh?
Mubaraka
Sis

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012 08:17 AM »

aha..I like that kind of racing too

Yeh ,that kind of racing does tells loads about the driver's skills.

Yet it does irritate the traffic that is around which is not racing!!! Grin   (and rightly succeeds in scaring  passengers inside the car which is racing-like br.H2H's sister!ha ha ..the driver meanwhile gets a high!!) Grin

Hmmm and boys stop speeding like that!! 
it's not just us..there's a girl too over here who does that..or does one girl not tick off another

LOL. oh!u got me wrong!!!I am a  safe driver. Grin I did that on an almost deserted road..I am just a beginer, a learner...I did enjoy the speed though! Wink

Sis Jannah is right!!Boys stop speeding like that!!!! Grin

akhan
Bro

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012 08:47 AM »

Hmmm and boys stop speeding like that!! 
it's not just us..there's a girl too over here who does that..or does one girl not tick off another

LOL. oh!u got me wrong!!!I am a  safe driver. Grin I did that on an almost deserted road..I am just a beginer, a learner...I did enjoy the speed though! Wink
Stop making excuses! own up! Grin
Mubaraka
Sis

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012 09:16 AM »

Stop making excuses! own up!

Tongue
akhan
Bro

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012 10:58 AM »

wow I didn't realize that I crossed 1000 posts and became a hero member with that last post Cool

Mubaraka
Sis

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012 01:08 PM »

That post????That post???The one where u have displayed a cunning grin in reply to my post!!!That one???

Well then u owe me one!! Grin

Congratulations!! Smiley
akhan
Bro

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012 03:29 PM »

here's a  bebzi for you
peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012 09:36 AM »

I want to  madauntie your type of drivers

akhan
Bro

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012 11:34 AM »

I want to  madauntie your type of drivers

be my guest, if you can catch me Grin
peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012 11:51 AM »

I want to  madauntie your type of drivers

be my guest, if you can catch me Grin

Your type are very difficult to catch. Because of resulting frustration such a strong desire has built up inside me to  madauntie your type  that the day I am able to lay my hand on one of you that fellow will have the   beat beat of his lifetime.  And I am sure the traffic on that road will come to halt to support me in my endevour!

akhan
Bro

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012 01:24 PM »

Your type are very difficult to catch. Because of resulting frustration such a strong desire has built up inside me to  madauntie your type  that the day I am able to lay my hand on one of you that fellow will have the   beat beat of his lifetime.  And I am sure the traffic on that road will come to halt to support me in my endevour!
hahaha...we'll see Grin
Mubaraka
Sis

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012 01:42 PM »

LOL

Poor Sis Halima.See what a sweet and harmless thread started by her has become....I wonder what she is thinking about this.. Grin

Halima
Sis

Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #21 on: Jul 01, 2012 10:43 PM »

Actually, I love speed - I am just not reckless. Plus that car would just fly if you were not careful - what with the highway police patrols - just waiting to nab you. And the roads were not empty at all. But it was lots of fun driving.

Good to know that there are people here who like speed too. The speed limit is something foreign in Kenya despite the traffic rules. So I get the Hyderabad speeding mania.

The Almighty Allah says,

akhan
Bro

« Reply #22 on: Jul 02, 2012 09:32 PM »

Good to know that there are people here who like speed too. The speed limit is something foreign in Kenya despite the traffic rules. So I get the Hyderabad speeding mania.
I actually forgot when I last stopped at a red light Grin Hyderabadi rules are only on paper Wink
Halima
Sis

« Reply #23 on: Jul 03, 2012 01:24 AM »

I actually forgot when I last stopped at a red light Grin Hyderabadi rules are only on paper Wink

Oh, Man! Same goes for Kenya. And during rash hour where driving sometimes comes to a halt and the traffic police try to direct it, the "Matatu's" - a form of public transport - don't give a damn. They drive to on the pavement (known as sidewalk here in the US). Pedestrians run for their life. See here pics of the Matatu's which are very colourful, have weird names with music blaring inside that you can hear it five blocks away. Inside the matatu, you would swear that the music is beating in heart. Its insane!!!

http://www.google.com/search?q=kenyan+matatu&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=653&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rTfyT5GoPIjNqgH_wOSOAg&ved=0CE4QsAQ

The Almighty Allah says,

akhan
Bro

« Reply #24 on: Jul 03, 2012 08:15 AM »

oh wow..even I drive on sidewalks when the traffic is too intense Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: