// why is gold and silk haraam on men
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Intelligence is the shadow of objective truth. How can the shadow vie with sunshine? - Jalaluddin al-Rumi
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why is gold and silk haraam on men  (Read 777 times)
peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« on: May 30, 2012 05:40 AM »

My young cousin is obsessed with this question since October. Now she has made it her fb status so that she gets answer. If anyone knows the precise logic behind gold and silk being kept haraam on men please share so that I can convey it to my cousin iA.
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012 11:45 AM »

Gold used to be used as currency.  Women treasured gold ornaments because it represented their net wealth. 

Ask yourself: in such an environment why would a man wear gold jewelry?

Possible reasons are:

1) he is flaunting his wealth; he is showing off he is rich
2) he is stupid. someone may steal his gold necklace or ring, and slice his finger off just for the ring. (I know a woman who this has happened to.)
3) he really like the sight of gold. its a pretty color to him.  in this case wouldn't it be much cheaper and less scary to just get imitation gold jewelery? 
4) he wears a gold necklace, in case he is stranded somewhere, and needs some money.  however, this prudent guy, wouldn't flaunt his necklace.  he'd wear it under his shirt.

The reasons for silk, are probably similar.  While nowadays, wearing silk, such as silk ties, isn't considered to be being effiminate -- in the past, silk was prob very expensive, and was a commodity. it was traded for money. 

In general guys walking around in the real world, where thugs and ruffians live, shouldn't make themselves stand out by dressing themselves in the local currency and expensive commodities.  not only is it financially senseless, it just looks bad! it makes you look like a total DB!
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012 03:10 PM »

walaikum salam,

good points bro lucid! of course we can't say the *exact* reason why Allah legislated something unless it's mentioned, but so true the way men would show they're wealthy and show off is probably by wearing gold and silk1!! just watch those music videos on tv they're flashing around major pounds of gold and probably wearing silk shirts?? and nowadays flashy cars etc. also men are not allowed to drag their thobes on the ground in arrogance as that part will be in the Hellfire. perhaps Allah teaching us to be modest and not show off. also gold and silk and things are considered adornments for women. do guys really want to look so girly? Wink

Here be some hadiths:

Ali reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) took some silk in his right hand and some gold in his left, declaring, "These two are haram for the males among my followers." (Reported by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, an-Nasa'i, Ibn Hayyan, and Ibn Majah, who reports the additional phrase, "but halal for the females.") `Umar reported that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) say, "Do not wear silk, for those who wear it in this life shall not wear it in the Hereafter." (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim) On another occasion, referring to a silken garment, he said, "This is the dress of a man who has no character.'' (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) once saw a gold ring on a man's hand. He immediately took it from him and threw it down saying, "Does a person pick up a piece of burning coal and hold it in his hand?" After the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) had left the place, someone asked the man, "Why do you not pick it up and benefit from it?" He replied, "No, by Allah! I shall not pick it up after the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) has thrown it away." (Reported by Muslim)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: