// Mango season has begun!!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mango season has begun!!  (Read 1685 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jun 04, 2012 09:54 PM »

Mango season has begun!!!  loveshower  very interesting!!

==================

100 Days of Madness as the ‘King of Fruits’ Is Celebrated Again

NYTimes

MUMBAI, India — Inside his tiny office near the entrance of Crawford Market, Arvind Morde is a bit harried. It is mango season, after all. His telephone rings. A client wants to ship a box of mangoes to Germany, a gift for the Indian-born conductor Zubin Mehta. Another caller wants to send a box to Switzerland; still another, to Singapore.

Mr. Morde, 66, takes down each order on a small pad, scribbling the names and addresses. For 92 years, his family has sold fruit from the same prime location beneath the stone arches of Crawford Market, and Mr. Morde has learned that Indians, wherever they may be, enjoy a good mango, widely known here as the King of Fruits.

“It is the only fruit appreciated by everyone,” Mr. Morde says with understated simplicity.

India arguably has only two seasons: monsoon season and mango season.
Monsoon season replenishes India’s soil. Mango season, more than a few literary types have suggested, helps replenish India’s soul.

Mangoes are objects of envy, love and rivalry as well as a new status symbol for India’s new rich. Mangoes have even been tools of diplomacy. The allure is foremost about the taste but also about anticipation and uncertainty: Mango season in the region lasts only about 100 days, traditionally from late March through June; is vulnerable to weather; and usually brings some sort of mango crisis, real or imagined.

In Mumbai, India’s financial capital, this season’s trouble involves the Alphonso, the variety of mango grown along the western Konkan coast. Prices have spiked. Cold weather interfered with the growing season, producing fewer (and smaller) Alphonsos, the sort of shortfall that might ordinarily be eased by importing different mango varieties produced in different mango-producing regions of India.

Except that India’s mango economy adheres to forces other than simply supply and demand. In Mumbai, many people insist on eating Alphonsos and might even be offended by the suggestion that any alternative could suffice. In New Delhi, on the other hand, many residents belittle the Alphonso and favor the varieties grown in northern India. Almost every state has its own mango jingoism; if love of mangoes is nearly universal in India, so is disagreement over which variety is best.

“People are fiercely parochial about mangoes,” said Vikram Doctor, a food writer and mango connoisseur who lives in Mumbai.

Devyani Ghosh, who moved a year ago to Mumbai from New Delhi, is still adjusting, mango-wise. Last month, Ms. Ghosh, 37, knelt over mangoes stacked on the cement floor of Crawford Market, picking them off the stack, squeezing them gently, testing their ripeness, pressing them to the tip of her nose, sniffing, never quite satisfied. Finally, the seller carved a succulent, yellow slice. She took a nibble.

“They are good,” she admitted, “but not as good as in Delhi.”

Beyond parochialism, mangoes also have become yet another totem for the new Indian rich to keep score. Once, the Alphonso and other varieties did not begin appearing in markets until late March or early April. Now some growers are producing mangoes in February at prices that can approach $30 a dozen, compared with $9 a dozen or less at the height of the season.

“There are different types of eaters,” Mr. Morde said. “The early eaters are the nouveaux riche. It is about prestige.”

Mr. Morde’s father founded the family fruit business in 1920, when Mumbai was known as Bombay and the British controlled India. Today Mr. Morde handles sales while his brother, Ram, oversees procurement. Mr. Morde said the family would sell about 10 million rupees’ worth (roughly $200,000) of mangoes this year, many bought by corporate clients, so selecting the right mangoes is paramount.

“It is like buying diamonds,” Mr. Morde said. “You segregate them, sort them out, as per the quality.”

Mr. Morde’s international business has steadily expanded over the years, partly tracing the arc of the Indian diaspora around the world. India annually produces about 15 million tons of mangoes, roughly 40 percent of global production. Between 40 and 60 varieties are sold commercially, according to the Central Institute of Subtropical Horticulture, which serves as a sort of mango think tank. Some government research institutes keep samples of different mango varieties to protect against extinction.

Mango exporters now do a thriving trade with several Persian Gulf countries, where more than six million Indians are working, and some domestic mango eaters suspect the best mangoes are now shipped out of India for higher prices abroad.

“My suspicion is that the bigger Alphonsos are being exported,” said Mr. Doctor, the food writer, noting that the most serious Alphonso eaters will cultivate their own sources in the growing region. And sure enough, several passengers on a recent ferry from the coast to Mumbai were carrying boxes of mangoes.

The media watch for this year’s mango crop actually began last year. In late December, newspapers carried worried accounts about the impact of Cyclone Thane on mango season in southern India. Mango-related weather articles are fairly common, and often alarmist — hailstorms kill mango trees! Cold weather kills mangoes!

Mangoes appear in movies, including a 2010 Marathi-language drama titled “Haapus,” or “Mango.” Mangoes are such a common literary device that the author Rana Dasgupta declared that Indian fiction needed to move away from the “sari-and-mango novels.”

Yet the allure and nostalgia of mango season is undeniable. Some Indians living abroad fly home for a visit during mango season. Generations of Indians can still recall their mothers warning that eating too many mangoes can bring outbreaks of pimples. Last month, a Mumbai radio host invited a guru, or spiritual adviser, to field questions. The first: How can a person safely gorge on mangoes without breaking out in pimples?

Eat the mangoes, the guru advised, but make certain to take deep breaths, eat “cooling” foods and drink plenty of water.

Perhaps the only force capable of resisting the Indian mango has been the American government. For decades, Indian mangoes were banned, for one reason or another (Indians suspect trade protectionism). Mr. Doctor noted that the United States Department of Agriculture allowed Alphonsos to be imported and served when India’s first prime minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, attended a state dinner in Washington with President John F. Kennedy. But the Americans insisted that seeds were later burned.

When India and the United States consummated a landmark civilian nuclear agreement in 2008, one sweetener was an agreement to allow Indian mangoes to be imported, the “nukes for mangoes” provision. Yet imports remain limited, largely because of American requirements on irradiation and other issues.

Which means that Mr. Morde cannot brighten the mango season of at least one person: his son.

He lives in Massachusetts.

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2012 03:39 AM »

It began more than a month ago, now its ending Tongue you're late to the party!
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2012 05:58 PM »

It began more than a month ago, now its ending Tongue you're late to the party!

vhattt new york times said it started yesterday!! yeah mangoes are still really expensive here like $1/mango !! waiting for the price to go down... also they said they'll be selling pakistani mangoes this year but haven't seen any except the south american ones...

btw if anyone loves mangoes... mango chobani (greek yogurt) is like AMAZING  hungry
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2012 06:21 PM »

It starts around mid march and ends with the monsoon which has already hit kerala and will reach hyderabad in another 4-5 days. But you can get mangoes till july, they stock up. But Hyderabad/Andhra Pradesh produces a quarter of the world's supply so maybe we get them longer.
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2012 07:04 PM »

But Hyderabad/Andhra Pradesh produces a quarter of the world's supply so maybe we get them longer.

Yeyyyyy!!!! woohoo
akhan
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2012 07:17 PM »

But Hyderabad/Andhra Pradesh produces a quarter of the world's supply so maybe we get them longer.

Yeyyyyy!!!! woohoo
nai malum tha?
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2012 10:45 PM »

yummmm i miss mangos !!
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2012 07:20 AM »

Paki mangoes zindabaad...

And we get 1-KG in one $

B.u.r.n.!!

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
akhan
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2012 10:04 AM »

And we get 1-KG in one $
B.u.r.n.!!
Hah! We get 'em for free. I pick them from the tree in our backyard Grin Me and my brother were eating 3-4 every day for a month until he left for jeddah 10 days ago. Then I had his share too for a week till my sisters returned on sunday. Now I have to go back to sharing Angry
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #9 on: Jun 06, 2012 02:58 PM »

Then I had his share too for a week till my sisters returned on sunday. Now I have to go back to sharing Angry

You are in trouble now.Where is my share???
akhan
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2012 04:17 AM »

You should've asked before, everything's finished now Grin I'll take a look tomorrow, there's probably going to be enough on the tree for another month.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2012 11:35 AM »

A.A.

And we get 1-KG in one $
B.u.r.n.!!

Hah! We get 'em for free. I pick them from the tree in our backyard Grin Me and my brother were eating 3-4 every day for a month until he left for jeddah 10 days ago. Then I had his share too for a week till my sisters returned on sunday. Now I have to go back to sharing Angry

What a coincidence! We also have a Mango tree in our backyard. And guess what, mangoes just fall from our tree in the garden. So we dont have to pick them from the tree... know what I mean? "They just fall..."

BURN x2

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2012 08:55 PM »

Yeah mango season is over for us too...had some nice ones though and we get the ones from Mexico obviously...

Sis J - omA, I eat Chobani yogurt too!!! I haven't had the mango one though!!! They have it here in Houston too, so I've been eating them here as well,  so I will look, but Amma never brought them..wonder if not a big selection back home maybe...

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2012 01:13 AM »

people of the world: chobani is like AMAZINGGG i hearttttttt. i love strawberry and mango which i alternate. i did try pineapple the other day and it wasn't bad. i hated raspberry and strawberrybanana!
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2012 03:15 AM »

ahhahahhahah! Strawberry and raspberry are my favs. Peach is good too. Pineapple yeah, that isn't too bad either. No mango one though here :-(

BABA
 desibro

austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #15 on: Jun 12, 2012 09:02 AM »

what a disappointment !!! its winter here in australia and not too many yummy fruits around mainly bananas while i truly dislike Sad

apples are year round but now im in a mango mood !!!
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #16 on: Jun 13, 2012 07:43 PM »

OMA - Sis Aust, you don't like bananas!!??? I have one every morning....anyways, to each their own... Smiley

As for mangoes, checked them out today here in Texas and nothing special. There were tons,and still in that grocery arrangement, so not selling me thinks and didn't detect that nice smell from any of them.

As I said above, we had our mango season already, so I'm satisfied for the year.

BABA desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #17 on: Jun 17, 2012 03:30 AM »

AAM = Hindi/Urdu word for Mango  Smiley

ruhee
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
ruhee has no influence :(

« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2012 08:42 AM »

All of you who have access to Indian subcontinent mangoes are really lucky - suppose you guys do deserve it for surving the heat  Roll Eyes. We mainly get them from Aus or Peru (which have no smell) and it's not mango season in Aus yet  Sad. Its a good reminder for me to book my flights to Aus for some quality mango eating vacation time though Grin
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #19 on: Jun 17, 2012 12:10 PM »

We get them here...I'm in the UK.  But you're right that one afternoon of a temperature of 19 C was an edurance test...I completely deserve the Kesar mangoes I've been eating.

We've still got quite a lot of mangoes coming in.

I also love the small green mangoes you can eat dusted with salt and chillie powder.....

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #20 on: Jun 17, 2012 02:11 PM »

But you're right that one afternoon of a temperature of 19 C was an edurance test

Huh?  Isn't that only like 66 degrees?  Huh?

Is that too hot or too cold for you?   Grin
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #21 on: Jun 17, 2012 10:20 PM »

lol, I'm getting mangoes with the greatest of ease Cheesy

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2012 05:59 AM »

lol, I'm getting mangoes with the greatest of ease Cheesy

My parents keep buying those little Mexican one's cuz they're so cute and little. NOT enough mango for me!! Sad
ruhee
Sis

« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2012 08:39 AM »

We get them here...I'm in the UK.  But you're right that one afternoon of a temperature of 19 C was an edurance test...

We are sitting at 18 C here- but I don't see any mangoes (Not counting Peru ones)  Angry
ruhee
Sis

« Reply #24 on: Jun 18, 2012 08:40 AM »

Yeyyyyy!!!! woohoo

Cheesy you're adorable sis.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: