Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

A rakah a rakah! My kingdom for a rakah!'

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Olympics Thread!  (Read 4982 times)
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #50 on: Aug 05, 2012 10:46 AM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

Wow team GB did brilliantly y'day! Smiley

It was lovely to see Mo (Mohammad) Farah do sujood after his sensational win!

The Olympics in London has been far better than I thought. I didn't think I'd like it, but I'm glad that sport can not only unite a nation but also that the world.

I'm really supporting team GB! It's been years since I've watched any sport. It must be that unique feeling, knowing that I'm experiencing history by having the Olympics right on my doorstep.

The atmosphere in London right now is jubilation, euphoric..

Ma'Salam,
Cinders

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #51 on: Aug 05, 2012 04:15 PM »

It's funny how so many of you Brits weren't happy about the Olympics - but once they arrive, total change of tune haha. I would be ecstatic - yes, the traffic and congestion suck, but I'm sure Londoners are used to that.

My cousin there too, was not looking forward to it, but the last few days before the start, his patriotism was really high, he was saying it was gong to be the best Games ever etc etc. It's like some sort of syndrome. 

Yes, Cinders, what a day by team GB, the BBC last night (on the radio) was saying that it could be just about the greatest day in British sporting history and it was the most successful day Olympics-wise in over 100 years (104 to be exact).

BG shot up to 3rd in the medal standings after being quite low on the list! As you said, the euphoria must be incredible.

Really happy for you guys.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #52 on: Aug 05, 2012 04:21 PM »

The traffic/public transport and people arent as bad as I anticipated.

The government has moved mega fast to ensure everything runs very smoothly, the volunteers are doing an amazing job mashallah as is the army and the police.

The atmosphere is so celebratory and it really helps that the tourists are actually really really lovely Alhumdulillah....  I was followed by a camera wielding american family a couple of days ago  'ooooh look look...' they said and proceeded to try and film me walking down the tube platform!!!! Roll Eyes Cheesy

On the other hand perhaps it doesn't seem that different as we've had the royal wedding, the Queens jubilee and now the Olympics, it's been a couple of years of celebrations straight which has bought in a lot of tourists....

But you're right it's difficult not to get swept away in the euphoria of it all, each time there's a heat where team GB is participating everyone downs tools and crowds around the TV's and yells support,  I don't pariticpate as there's a very real danger of being grabbed and hugged at the end!!!! <bleurrrgghghg>

I'm still looking forward to it quietening down tho.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #53 on: Aug 05, 2012 04:24 PM »

OMA, Andy Murray just won the Gold medal in tennis over the best player in the world!!!

Way to go GB...again!

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #54 on: Aug 05, 2012 04:28 PM »

LOOOOOOOL, sorry didn't see your reply before posting just a bit ago...that is a funny story about the Americans haha. Why, were they fascinated seeing a hijabi or something??? That is very possible....

Yeah British can get very rowdy...and huggy etc lol

Argh, so jealous!  Smiley

BABA
 desibro

Cinders
Sis

« Reply #55 on: Aug 12, 2012 12:05 AM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

ok I've been advised via facebook by a certain someone that I should post on here  Wink.

How brilliantly did Mohamed Farah do? Double Olympic champion in 5000 & 10000 metres. Incredible! The guy is charitable and has come through so much to achieve what he has.

This is the most beautiful picture of the whole Olympics in my humble opinion.
Enjoy!  Smiley

Cinders

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #56 on: Aug 12, 2012 05:41 AM »

omAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - I know I already mentioned how Mo Farah and the American runner Galen Rupp trained here just before the Olympics but they just showed an interview of them both on the Nike campus (which I drive by every time I go to the masjid - which is just over 10 min away) and I was going crazy!!! Just to actually see it was kinda cool.  If I only had access...I did have a family member who worked there some years ago and I got to see Manchester United practice there (just after Becks left).

Anwyays, they are showing the 5000m race right now, as it's a primetime event and on TV now (though it was only online live)

Just had to share that....

BABA
 desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #57 on: Aug 12, 2012 05:58 AM »

omA, Mo Farah wasn't the only one to do sajdah after the 5000 m race...another racer, not sure if he got a medal or not, was just beyond him and dong sajdah too...and they showed it on our coverage here...didn't' hide it or anything....love it!!!!

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #58 on: Aug 12, 2012 07:16 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

In a middle distance race, it is usually quite rare for the winner to lead from the front with a lap to go because he usually provides a target for others to aim at and run down.

One of the incredible hallmarks of Mohamed Farah's success is his ability to lead from the front and to never allow anyone to pass him.

His face when running is a picture perfect representation of grit, determination and a absolute desire to never give up.

Behind all this, however, are many months of hard graft, sweat (and no doubt tears) in preparation for this one moment.

I need not allude to the analogy any further but suffice to say that our own moments will come in our lives and inshaAllah we will have done the work in advance and can show an equal amount of resolve!

What a fantastic race, what a fantastic individual and incredible that probably the star of Team GB will be a Muslim.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #59 on: Aug 12, 2012 09:42 AM »

Walaiykum Salam!

Br Khalid I couldn't agree more, you summed it up beautifully Smiley . As a former ahem 'athlete' Cheesy during my school days running the middle distance and leading from the front is definitely a feat in itself. It's really hard to do. I think the whole nation of GB was just willing him on.

This 5000metre win in my opinion was absolutely remarkable. Br WCoastbaba, I saw the other (I think African) guy do sujood too.. But this picture is actually from his first 10000 metre win race.

I was a complete sceptic before these Olympics, however by having it in our home country, literally on our doorstep has been amazing. Everybody from the volunteers, the athletes, the police, the army.. They've done a great job. I think one of the most remarkable things about these Olympics is that if one only could rewind this time last year & the social chaos that was happening in London with the riots, the Olympics have united a broken Britain to definitely a 'Great' Britain. I'm not saying that one individual can fix the problems of a nation, but Mohammed Farah has definitely become the face of the Games (probably even more so than the heptathlete Jessica Ennis). Also a young man Luke Campbell and a young lady called Nicola Adams won GB Boxing Gold medals also. This is a very important sport especially as there definitely isn't any 'elitism' involved attached with the sport. Boxing rings are apparent in every town in UK. The fact that both these athletes said Mohammed Ali was their hero was brilliant and shows how strength can be channelled in a positive manner. As an aside some Athletes from all over the World (including British)are backing humanitarian and famine appeals for Africa as highlighted in the following article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19230427

Mohammed Farah for me is optimises the spirit of the Olympic games, especially for Team GB.

Ma'Salam,
Cinders

rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #60 on: Aug 15, 2012 01:12 AM »

This says it all...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: