Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

A rakah a rakah! My kingdom for a rakah!'

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Olympics Thread!  (Read 5038 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jun 10, 2012 05:47 AM »

Salams,

So who's excited!! what events u guys looking forward to? any muslims going to win anything??

Apparently, Londoners, not so excited :p

http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/culture-comment/this-londoner-finds-little-to-be-joyful-about-the-olympics
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2012 10:31 AM »

I'm amongst the not excited. The venue is slap bang in the middle of my commute. I'm so not excited its beyond unfunny.

I've also seen the ugly flame carrier thing they've built for the olympic flame, I hope it rains....sideways... Hard.

Whose stupid idea was it to hold the Olympics in England anyway?

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2012 01:24 PM »

Walaiykum Salam,

I'm not excited either. The Olympic flame 'thingy' is designed by one of my favourite artists Anish Kapoor, however I don't think it's one his best! (for a long time, I thought it was associated with the swimming events! Cheesy ).
I think as I live on the route going into Central London, I am not impressed. Everything around the station seems chaotic & cannot wait till the Olympics is over. I am NOT going to watch on TV either & the only good thing might be that I will be housebound during the month of Ramadan. Therefore I'll have no option but to focus on
Ibadaat. Also, during initial chaos, I may go away several hundred miles away to visit relatives instead of being in the probable chaotic London.
We just want our city back. Olympics hurry up & go away!

My tuppence worth.
Cinders

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2012 03:52 PM »

I cant wait! I love the opening ceremony, and the gymnastics! so elegant!!!

Here in australia, swimming is a huge deal, but I just find it too tedious to watch...

When do the Olympics start?
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2012 05:40 PM »

Interesting video:

Peculiar Security: UK hires human rights abusers to protect Olympics

http://youtu.be/QBA9dlhlcyg

Sorry....can't figure out how to embed...  Sad
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2012 07:58 PM »

A lot of tourists think its a swimming event thing. It is truly and utterly hideous, I hope they take it down after.

I am so not looking forward to it, it will be Ramadan, my commute will be flooded with a massive influx of extra tourists, the trains and tubes are already operating to capacity, apparently some stations are expected to have waiting times just to enter the flipping platforms!!! AND it will be HOT (and raining) so we'll either be dying of heatstroke or drowning because everything has flooded.

I am praying I will get leave to work from home for the duration, I can't handle the thought of it, it's not going to be fun in our neck of the woods...

I hope people dont try and talk to me on the trains, that would just push me over the edge!!

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2012 08:48 PM »

I do sympathize with Sr's Fozia and Cinders, it is never fun for the locals I think....

That being said, I am a HUGE Olympics fan in general...love the history invovled. I even bought that coffee table book on the Olympics that was published at the time of the Athens Games in 2004.

I love the swimming events - which are in the first week...another sign I'm a dork about this stuff...got the Michael Phelps DVD that NBC produced after he broke Mark Spitz's record in Beijing....laugh all you want lol

Again, I'll be studying for this second part of the board exams, so don't think I'll be able to watch in all honesty....will probably just check highlights and with the time difference, it's rarely live unless you're up early, so that's the bummer, but even when I knew the results I would still watch or of course, just not go online or at least look away but that's hard with almost any site covering it to an extent.

Anyways, greetings from Houston, Texas! Too hot.... 30 + everyday. UGH

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2012 10:59 PM »

London Mosques Host Olympics Iftar

onIslam & News Agencies
Tuesday, 12 June 2012 00:00

LONDON – As preparations are in full swing for next month’s Olympic Games in London, mosques in the British capital are getting ready to host iftar for thousands of athletes and visitors during the tournament, which coincides with the holy fasting month of Ramadan.

“The fact that you will never have a Ramadan, and Olympics, in London, at the same time, ever again,” British hockey star Darren Cheesman, a Muslim convert, told ABS-CBN news on Tuesday, June 12.

“It's a great way to use something that the whole country is going to be focused on, and saying: 'Hold on, there's another big event going on this month – Ramadan.”
2012 Olympics: Ramadan Challenges & Opportunities

Ramadan, the holiest month in Islamic calendar, is expected to start on July 20 through August.

It will coincide with the London Olympics, which is scheduled to start on July 27 to August 12.

The iftar program, organized by London's Islamic Cultural Center and London mosques, features hosting thousands of athletes and visitors who will flood the British capital for the sporting event.

Participating mosques will serve Iftars to break the fast to visitors, welcome athletes to their premises and celebrate the event with non-Muslims.

“There's a load of Muslims in this country who are all there and let's use it as a chance to open our doors and build community links and start to show each other what we are really about,” Cheesman said.

Haafizah Ahmed, another scout, was yearning to the experience of fasting Ramadan during the Olympics.

"It's good because we learn new skills and we haven't played with a real Olympic champion before," Ahmed said.

In Ramadan, adult Muslims abstain from food, drink, smoking and sex between dawn and sunset.

The sick and those traveling are exempt from fasting especially if it poses health risks.

Muslims dedicate their time during the holy month to be closer to Allah through prayers, self-restraint and good deeds.

Multicultural Mix

The iftar initiative won plaudits from British officials who hail the experience for celebrating the Muslim faith as well as Britain's multicultural mix.

"I think Iftar 2012 is a fantastic initiative to bring communities in the UK together and to really celebrate Islam,” British Home Office minister James Brokenshire said.

“The Olympics and Ramadan are taking place at the same time over the course of the summer and we want this to be an inclusive Olympic and Iftar 2012 will help achieve that as well as celebrating the culture that we have in this country -- reflecting the country we are and we want to be.”

Facing the hard task of hosting thousands of visitors every day, London mosques were ready for the challenge.

"The logistics program we have on a yearly basis is quite magnanimous,” said Omar Saddique, the visits officer at London's Islamic Cultural Center.

Organizers have said more than eight million tickets have been sold for the Games.

“So we have this team set up who provide the food to facilitate the welcoming of visitors and worshippers who come here,” Saddique said.

“We have this team set up on a regular basis, in fact, not only with the accompaniment of Iftar 2012 but over the years, the logistics of it has been very smooth.”

Britain is home to a sizable Muslim minority, estimated at nearly 2.5 million.
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2012 11:39 PM »

That's awesome... Olympic iftaars - what an idea Smiley

And I think you Londoners will start to enjoy it once it starts. You'll even enjoy guessing The accents of all the tourists. Keep the cameras handy!
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2012 01:32 AM »

olympics iftaar !!!!! love it !

cant wait for the opening ceremony and the gymnastics --- and ill have to watch swimming to be a good patriot of australia haha
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2012 03:21 AM »

From the official Olympics Facebook page from yesterday:

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2012 06:03 AM »

awesome picture wcoastbaba!! london looks like the place to be this summer!! despite all the londonista naysayers Wink
rahma
Sis

rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #12 on: Jun 25, 2012 04:15 PM »

Sorry, Jannah...

I think London IS NOT the place to be this summer:

Exclusive: Undercover Reporter Infiltrates Security Firm to Expose London Olympics -- BCFM 22.06.12
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #13 on: Jun 25, 2012 09:44 PM »

RIYADH (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia will enter women athletes in the Olympics for the first time ever in London this summer, the Islamic kingdom's London embassy said on Sunday.
Human rights groups had called on the International Olympic Committee to bar Saudi Arabia from competing in London, citing its failure ever to send a woman athlete to a Games and its ban on sports in girls' state schools.
Powerful Muslim clerics in the ultra-conservative state have repeatedly spoken out against the participation of girls and women in sports.
[Related: Olympics coverage on Yahoo! Sports]
In Saudi Arabia women hold a lower legal status to men, are banned from driving and need a male guardian's permission to work, travel or open a bank account.
Under King Abdullah, however, the government has pushed for them to have better education and work opportunities and allowed them to vote in future municipal elections, the only public polls held in the kingdom.
"The kingdom of Saudi Arabia is looking forward to its complete participation in the London 2012 Olympic Games through the Saudi Arabian Olympic Committee, which will oversee the participation of women athletes who can qualify for the games," said a statement published on the embassy website.
In April the head of the kingdom's General Presidency of Youth Welfare, the body that regulates sports in Saudi Arabia, said it would not prevent women from competing but that they would not have official government endorsement.
The IOC said on Monday that talks with the Saudis were "ongoing" and that "we are working to ensure the participation of Saudi women at the Games in London."
[Related: Saudi Arabia considers allowing women sports clubs]
The head of the kingdom's Olympic mission, Khalid al-Dakheel, told Reuters on Sunday evening however he was unaware of any developments allowing women to participate.
Top Saudi clerics, who hold government positions and have always constituted an important support base for the ruling al-Saud royal family, have spoken against female participation in sports.
In 2009 a senior cleric said girls risked losing their virginity by tearing their hymens if they took part in energetic sport.
Perhaps the most likely woman candidate to compete under the Saudi flag in London, equestrian Dalma Malhas, represented the kingdom at the junior Olympics in Singapore in 2010, but without official support or recognition.
Physical education is banned in girls' state schools in the kingdom, but Saudi Arabia's only female deputy minister, Noura al-Fayez, has written to Human Rights Watch saying there is a plan to introduce it.
(Reporting by Angus McDowall and Asma Alsharif; editing by Andrew Roche)

http://news.yahoo.com/saudi-arabia-enter-women-london-olympics-100953392--oly.html

** sis j, can you move it to Olympics thread? sorry

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Jun 26, 2012 01:58 AM »

Jannah! That comment is so funny now! heeeeheeeeee! Didn't watch that video, but LONDONISTAN is the def the place!!

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #15 on: Jun 26, 2012 05:30 AM »

Saudi Arabia is not sending any women officially i.e you won't see them with the Saudi contingent on the opening day. They just said that Saudi women can go on their own if they want to.
rahma
Sis

« Reply #16 on: Jul 02, 2012 03:51 PM »

More on my previous post:

http://12160.info/profiles/blogs/olympics-whistleblower-fears-for-safety-reveals-identity?xg_source=activity

“I’m now afraid that I might be in physical danger”
Paul Joseph Watson
Prison Planet.com
Monday, July 2, 2012

The undercover journalist who blew the whistle on G4S, the security company responsible for the 2012 Olympics, along with shocking plans for an evacuation of London, has revealed his identity following fears for his safety.
‘Lee Hazledean’ – the whistleblower who exposed how he had infiltrated G4S as an employee and uncovered how security preparations for the Olympics were so poor that they were inviting a terrorist attack, has revealed himself to be Ben Fellows, an acclaimed director who has worked with Stanley Kubrick. Fellows has also appeared in numerous popular television and theatre shows.
Fellows made the decision to reveal his identity, after having gone under a pseudonym for the purposes of radio interviews conducted over the last week, because of fears over his safety.
“With all sincerity I’m now afraid that I might be in physical danger from G4S,” Fellows told Infowars, adding that he feared the mainstream media was about to launch a character assassination campaign. “My only protection is to go public…. I have done nothing wrong and I stand by everything that I have said,” added Fellows.
Fellows also revealed that Andy Davies, Channel 4 News Home Affairs Correspondent, demanded that he retract statements made during a radio interview with BCFM’s Friday Drivetime in which Fellows said of Davies, “I sent him an email, I called, he wasn’t interested and he said there’s a media blackout on this kind of story, that nobody would be interested in running it.”
In a telephone conversation provided to Infowars, Davies claims that he never read Fellows’ original email and that the two never had a conversation about the issue.
“I emailed Andy Davies on the 13th of June and pitched the story to him, he then called me back and we talked,” claims Fellows, who is now going public to offset his concern that his name may have been privately passed to G4S.
Fellows’ revelations about how he infiltrated G4S and what he discovered were nothing less than astounding. However, the mainstream media chose to run a whitewash, focusing instead on relatively tame security lapses and ignoring Fellows’ story altogether, despite the fact that it had already gone viral in the alternative media.
During his time working for G4S over the past several months, Fellows learned of numerous disturbing developments.
- Fellows was able to get the job of a security officer via a simple application process. No background checks were carried out and his personal references were not checked.
- Fellows was successful in taking guns, knives and explosives through both metal detectors and body scanners on numerous occasions during dummy runs.
- Fellows was told that metal detectors and body scanners would be deactivated at peak times in order to get crowds into the Olympic venue quicker.
- Fellows was also informed that 200,000 casket linings that can hold four dead bodies each have been shipped into London in preparation for the Games.
- Thousands of foreign troops under the auspices of the United Nations have also been brought into London.
- Plans for an evacuation of London in the aftermath of a deadly terrorist attack have been discussed at great length. G4S employees were briefed on the evacuation plan to a greater extent than the time spent on training them to conduct security screening.
- G4S security staff have been caught doing drug deals while in training with no retribution. Uniforms have also been handed out to unauthorized personnel as well as uniforms being stolen. G4S staff have also been caught taking photographs on their cellphones of secure locations.
- Fellows was told that Predator drones of the type used in Afghanistan and Yemen would be circling London during the Olympics.
- Fellows believes G4S security staff are so poorly trained and the security operation as a whole is so lax that terrorists could quite easily stage a “massacre” during the Games.
rahma
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Jul 08, 2012 04:11 PM »

DON'T GO TO THE OLYMPICS!

DON'T GO NEAR ANYONE WHO COMES BACK FROM THEM!

WATCH:

Nightmare Scenario (Michael Rivero)

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #18 on: Jul 08, 2012 06:48 PM »

This is what London looks like right now, those pictures are nothing like the real thing...also it's currently raining and has been for just about forever!

The first pictures are taken from a train tho, and that grotesque spiral thing is where the flame will be

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #19 on: Jul 08, 2012 06:50 PM »

arrgghhh someone resize the pics please

rahma
Sis

« Reply #20 on: Jul 11, 2012 11:33 PM »

Insane...

http://leaksource.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/uk-judge-oks-apartment-rooftop-missiles-for-london-olympics/#comments

UK Judge OK's Apartment Rooftop Missiles for London Olympics

UK Judge OK’s Apartment Rooftop Missiles for London Olympics

BBC:

Residents have lost their High Court battle to prevent surface-to-air missiles being stationed on the roof of their tower block during the Olympics.

They had said having them on Fred Wigg Tower in Leytonstone, east London, would make them a terrorist target.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has said the missile deployment is legitimate and proportionate.

A judge said residents were “under something of a misapprehension” regarding the equipment and risks.

Lawyer David Enright, who represents the residents, said the ruling had wide-ranging implications.

Justice Haddon-Cave said the MoD had no duty to consult, had not promised to and no “conspicuous unfairness” was caused by not consulting.

He added: “The law and the facts militate against the claim for judicial review.

“In my judgment the MoD’s voluntary engagement with the community and residents in this matter were immaculate”.

On Monday, Mr Willers, said their block could become the “focus of a terrorist attack” to make an “evil statement”.

The defence secretary was accused by the local residents’ association of breaching Article 8 and Article 1 of Protocol 1 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

These protect an individual’s right to a private life and peaceful enjoyment of their home.

The MoD was also accused of failing to carry out an equality impact assessment to take into account the needs of disabled residents.

Mr Forsdick said the decision over where to position the missiles was taken at the “highest levels after rigorous scrutiny”.

He said it was signed off by the prime minister, deputy prime minister, home secretary and defence secretary in “defence of the realm”.

The 15-storey tower block is one of six locations selected for missiles to be stationed.
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #21 on: Jul 13, 2012 07:55 PM »

Cool pics Sis Fozia....yeah I heard the flame holder was getting bad reviews...now I know why lol....I have a photo I took of the stadium back in Feb 2010, as I used to frequent the Stratford station when I made outings from my khala's house. It was cool seeing East London take shape back then as this summer approached....

Enjoy the chaos.

BABA
 desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #22 on: Jul 13, 2012 08:44 PM »

UK enforces Olympic flight restrictions

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #23 on: Jul 13, 2012 11:17 PM »

It's all coming together quite nicely now, altho the flame thing is still fugly and my seven year old would have done a better job for less money!!!!

I'll try and take a picture of how it looks now.

However all this rubbish about terrorists etc is really seriously ticking me off, one gets the feeling the governement wants a terorrist attack they're practically putting out step by step guidelines of how to carry out a security breach....I hope sincerely that the trains are over crowded, the stadiums remain half empty and it rains right up to a week after the sodding games end. And that NOTHING of interest happens whatsoever!!!

That'll flipping teach them!!!!

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #24 on: Jul 14, 2012 12:37 PM »

It's all coming together quite nicely now, altho the flame thing is still fugly and my seven year old would have done a better job for less money!!!!

I'll try and take a picture of how it looks now.

However all this rubbish about terrorists etc is really seriously ticking me off, one gets the feeling the governement wants a terorrist attack they're practically putting out step by step guidelines of how to carry out a security breach....I hope sincerely that the trains are over crowded, the stadiums remain half empty and it rains right up to a week after the sodding games end. And that NOTHING of interest happens whatsoever!!!

That'll flipping teach them!!!!
Cheesy Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: