Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Alas, poor imam.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Olympics Thread!  (Read 5035 times)
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #25 on: Jul 16, 2012 03:58 AM »

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL Sis Fozia, love the passion!

Yeah, it does seem like they want something to happen....fear tactics yet again.....ugh.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #26 on: Jul 18, 2012 06:51 PM »

Anybody notice one of the Olympic logos...!?!?!?

Look:
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #27 on: Jul 21, 2012 06:07 AM »

How to Compete in the Olympics While Fasting for Ramadan
The Islamic holiday of Ramadan, which requires no food or drink pass a person's lips from sun up to sundown, will present challenges for the 3500 Muslim athletes

When an estimated 3,500 Muslim athletes come to the London Olympics this summer, the pinnacle of their athletic careers will directly coincide with one of the most important periods in their spiritual calendar. This year, all 17 days of athletic competition take place during the holy month of Ramadan, when Muslims are required to fast and refrain from drinking water from sunrise to sunset. The overlap of Ramadan and the Olympics may prove a physical and spiritual challenge to many of the observant athletes–but in many ways the Olympic spirit and the holy month share a core essence that makes the overlap somehow appropriate and harmonious: sacrificing the self and practicing self-control in the bid to achieve perfection.

At its core, Islam is a very practical and flexible religion, one that has historically accommodated difficult circumstances. Many Muslim athletes at the Games this year will avail themselves of that flexibility, others, particularly observant women, have found ways to compete while adhering to traditional interpretations of Islamic law that require them to cover their bodies. Top ranked U.S. sabre fencer Ibtihaj Muhammad   will be the first American woman to compete in hijab, following in the footsteps of Bahrain’s Ruqaya Al Ghasara a sprinter who, in 2004, was the first athlete to compete in a specially designed athletic head-to-toe covering. This year Afghanistan’s boxer Sadaf Rahimi will do the same, even as she defies tribal custom—and the Taliban’s strict interpretation of Islamic law that prohibits blows to the face—by boxing in a room full of men.

(MORE: 50 Olympic Athletes to Watch)

Like many Muslim athletes, both Muhammad and Rahimi will have to answer the religiously fraught question of whether or not they will fast during competition: whether spirituality takes precedence over physical prowess and the tantalizing chance to win a medal for their respective nations. What was once a private affair between an adherent and her God has become a public litmus test of faith. Rahimi has said she will not fast while she is in London, citing an historic exemption for travelers. Ghulam Naseri, an Islamic scholar from her hometown of Kabul, says that the Koran makes allowances for travelers “more than a camel ride away from home.” She will make up those missed days of fasting when she is back in Afghanistan and no longer worried about being at her physical peak.

British rower Moe Sbihi won’t need that option. He consulted with religious leaders (and a Moroccan goalkeeper for Real Mallorca who never fasted during his time playing for Spain’s La Liga), to come up with his own solution: he will donate 1,800 meals to the poor, 60 meals per day of not fasting, to fulfill his spiritual obligations.

To Fawaz A. Gerges, Director of the Middle East Centre at the London School of Economics, the varying approaches to the Ramadan fast are a demonstration of Islam’s inherent dynamism. “The element of practicality and flexibility is really fundamental to how Islamic scholars deal with difficult situations. The Olympics are no different – what we are seeing here is the rule, not the exception,” he says, pointing out that out that most Muslim athletes have said in interviews that they will not fast while in London. “They are finding ways and means to compensate, whether it’s doing charity work, feeding the poor, or postponing their fasts.”

(MORE: Why Women Watch the Olympics–But Tune Out Other Sports)

Not only will this year will mark the highest participation of Muslim athletes, it will also be the first year that every single country is represented by both male and female athletes. For the first time Qatar  and Brunei will be sending women. Even Saudi Arabia, after a long debate, has reluctantly agreed  to send two women— Sarah Attar in the 800 meters and Wodjan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shahrkhani in judo. It’s an historic achievement for both the Olympics, and for Muslim women across the world. What better timing than for this to happen during Ramadan?

Read more: http://olympics.time.com/2012/07/12/how-to-compete-in-the-olympics-while-fasting-for-ramadan/#ixzz21EM2egJm
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #28 on: Jul 21, 2012 10:03 AM »

salam

I missed the opening ceremony, did any of you see it? How was it? 
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #29 on: Jul 23, 2012 10:52 PM »

Opening Ceremony hasn't taken place yet sis - on Friday I believe.

Perosnal connection - my cousin and his mum (see what AI did there, lol, that's for you Brits on the board), who live in East London (as I've mentioned before) where the Olympic venues are - went to the nearby Romford Mall parking lot ( less than 10 min away from their house; it's huge, spread out) to see the TORCH! and he posted video, so I got to see it! It was very hot that day and there were still tons of people. Heard there are special lanes for the arrivals that are maring by the Olympic rings or something like that. Guesing Sr. Fozia and Sr. Cinders know more about that.

Anyways, just wanted to share.

BABA
 desibro doctor

Back to the   student to try and become a proper certified doctor

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #30 on: Jul 24, 2012 03:26 AM »

So that's why east london is lined with little flags of different countries, I was walking up green street yesterday afternoon thinking I'm sure those werent there before!!!

The olympic lanes are a pain in the behind, they've effectively rendered some roads into one lane roads. And public transport spectacularly came to a halt on Monday when someone threw themselves under the busiest tube line during rush hour...you can plan but not for everything. And London is. Just. So. Full of people... wish I had the means to go on holiday Sad

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #31 on: Jul 24, 2012 07:41 PM »

Yeah I don't envy my family or yours Sis Fozia - on the national radio today, they interviewed some American students, as well as a London cabbie (he wasn't too happy), though the students didn't mind their bus couldn't get through after being late just arriving to pick them up.

The thing is with these huge cities, like London or NYC, if one little thing goes wrong, the city comes to a standstill or at least things become difficult to navigate, which was what the cabbie was expressing himself.

As for the Olympics themselves, just saw that the football actually starts tomorrow (Wednesday).

BABA
 desibro

rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #32 on: Jul 26, 2012 04:49 AM »

Now, HERE'S security:
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #33 on: Jul 26, 2012 05:44 AM »

salam

Opening Ceremony hasn't taken place yet sis - on Friday I believe.

thanks bro, i got my dates mixed up and realized after writing that post that the olympics had not started yet!!! 

rahma, what the heck are those?  robots??  TARDISes ??  Cheesy
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #34 on: Jul 26, 2012 06:28 PM »

Pregnant shooter is in London and she’s very pregnant

Malaysia's pregnant shooter, Nur Suryani Mohamed Taibi, has made the trip to London and will compete in next week's 10m rifle event, just one month before she's due to give birth to a baby girl. She's not the first pregnant Olympian in history, but at 34 weeks is believed to be the furthest along.
The 29-year-old qualified for the Games at the Asian Shooting Championships in January, days after finding out she was pregnant. At the time, she had hoped her health would allow her to compete in London. So far so good.

Doctors say Nur Suryani is fine to compete. One of the few concessions she'll make is leaving London soon after her event on the advice of doctors who don't want her flying after 35 weeks.

In a sport that requires precision, calm and concentration, how will Nur Suryani compete with a child moving around her womb? "I will talk to the baby before I compete," she said in April. "[I'll say] no kicking, stay calm for one hour and 15 minutes only please."

She understands that some may criticize her Olympic quest but isn't fazed by it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/pregnant-shooter-london-she-very-pregnant-142357570--oly.html

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #35 on: Jul 26, 2012 08:59 PM »

I remember reading about this pregnant woman earlier - I think it's pretty awesome! Health first of course, and it's not one of the more active events, physically speaking.

Aww, that's so cute about her talking to the baby before the event haha!

I can't watch this time around, but will hope to find news of how she did at some point.

Also, the Olympics 3 weeks this time!  it's been a two week period standard as far as I can remember....interesting.

BABA
 desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #36 on: Jul 26, 2012 09:14 PM »

Judo federation orders Saudi woman to compete without hijab

By Maggie Hendricks

Wojdan Shaherkani, the judoka from Saudi Arabia who is one of the first women to represent her country in the Olympics, has been ordered not to wear the hijab, or head scarf, during competition. The International Judo Federation said she will compete without a head covering.
"The Saudi Arabian athlete will take part in judo and she will fight according to the principle and spirit of judo, so without a hijab," said IJF president Marius Vizer following Thursday's draw.
Any head covering in judo is considered a safety risk. Judo players, or judokas, toss their opponents. Quite often the gi, the judo uniform that is used for other martial arts, is used to grab opponents. The gi is made of a heavy weave cotton, and it is easier to hold on to than the light, slippery fabrics normally used to make hijabs.
[ Related: Saudi Arabia sending two women to Olympics ]
It's not much of a leap to think Shaherkani could be injured if an opponent grabbed her hijab instead of her gi. Even in a different fabric, it could cause injuries as her head and neck would be vulnerable to a throw, instead of just her body.
Saudi Arabia made news this summer by allowing women to participate in the Olympics for the first time. It made this decision contingent on if the women wore the head covering, could be chaperoned by a guardian and didn't mix with men.
Though they don't compete against each other, judokas don't separate by gender for competition. Shaherkani will be competing and preparing near men on Aug. 1.

Thoughts ladies?

orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #37 on: Jul 28, 2012 04:13 PM »

I think the decision on no hijab for judo is a sensible one.  Grabbing the clothing is a part of the competition and they get tossed around by it.  Wearing a hijab would be a major disadvantage and make you very vulnerable. 

Also, did no one watch the opening ceremony?  Or was everyone busy praying their taraweeh and missed it?  lol.   I've caught up with it on BBC iplayer and I really enjoyed it.  The countryside scenes, the mills, the Olympic rings, Bond & the Queen, Mr Bean, the cauldron lighting... I loved all of it.  Very original and witty. 

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 79
Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #38 on: Jul 28, 2012 09:52 PM »

I hate to say it but I think that asking her to compete without hijab is only fair, like orange tree said above. I'm surprised, I would've thought she would have seen a ruling like this coming from early on and would've tried to arrange for it (if she is a hijabi). Perhaps she'll just wear a cap?

What exactly are all the Saudi women competing in? I watched the country march but Saudi only had a quick glimpse with the camera.

Orangetree I only saw the very end and I thought it looked rather silly, but maybe it was an exception? Something about eastenders? Then again after the Chinese opening ceremony everything will seem disappointing.
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #39 on: Jul 28, 2012 10:34 PM »

The people I've spoken to are very divided, they either loved or loathed the opening ceremony. No in between!

Disclaimer Ive not seen it.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #40 on: Jul 29, 2012 03:57 AM »

Yeah I agree with you ladies. After hearing about how the sport works, it is safer for her to not wear it.

I enjoy the Opening ceremony for the most part - MR BEAN  heart heart heart

Some bhangra music for a few seconds, loved the history with the industrial revolution...the butterflies towards the end....the queen's part (won't ruin it for those who haven't seen it) and the disadvantaged children and their participation...lovely.

Skipped most of the parade of nations and can I mention that everyone in the States had to watch it on tape delay because of the primetime advert $$$$

It was worse for me, as my name says, I'm on the WEST COAST so it started 8 hours after it actually had started in London. I had gotten some info from my cousin in East London...the jets flew over the house on their way to the stadium.

Anyways, not planning to watch too much...it's so funny though, NBC (the channel broadcasting it here as well as on their various cable channel affliates as well) is streaming tons of coverage online (as long as you have cable and enter your ID and password), but not on TV...for example, the swimming from today...it was shown live on their website, they tweeted out the results, but the TV coverage starts right now (as I speak) for the swimming that happened already and live online). LAME!!!

BABA
 desibro

Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #41 on: Jul 29, 2012 04:06 AM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,
Even though I said I wouldn't watch it, watched some of opening ceremony. It was much better than I expected. As sr Fozia says, I can understand why ppl loved it or loathed it. Overall I thought it was very good, better than I expected. Some parts rather chaotic at times (in the fact too much going on). Loved the bit where they paid homage to NHS! Also as for artistic director Danny Boyle, think he should get a knighthood! Fireworks were amazing.

Not gonna get into debate about hijab issue personally.

My tuppence worth.

Cinders.

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
Riat8883
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 25
Riat8883 barely matters :(Riat8883 barely matters :(

« Reply #42 on: Jul 29, 2012 07:36 AM »

I was too busy that I even forgot the opening ceremony. I managed to get a glimpse yesterday when we went somewhere after taraweh. It was a repeat on the local channel. Loved the Bond and Queen part not to talk of mr Bean. We laughed with my husband all the way home.
Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #43 on: Jul 29, 2012 07:37 AM »

If the whole planet could unite for sports, they should do the same for peace too.

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #44 on: Jul 31, 2012 04:22 PM »

Olympics judo: Saudi Arabia hijab dispute resolved

Saudi Arabia judoka Wojdan Shaherkani will compete at the Olympics after a dispute over a hijab was resolved.
The International Judo Federation said the 16-year-old must fight without the headscarf for safety reasons, but the Saudis threatened to withdraw Shaherkani.
An International Olympic Committee spokesman said: "The judo federation will allow her to wear something which will not compromise her safety, which I think they use for competitions in Asia."
A Saudi official said earlier this month that the country's two female athletes at London 2012 - Shaherkani and 800m runner Sarah Attar - must obey Islamic dress codes.
But judo officials claimed a headscarf could cause choking, in a sport that involves grabbing and throwing.
Shaherkani will fight Puerto Rico's Melissa Mojica, ranked 13 in the world, in the first round of the +78kg category on Friday.
There is almost no public tradition of women participating in sport in Saudi Arabia, who have it difficult to select athletes for the London Games who met the minimum qualifying standards.

- BBCnews.com

I did catch some on TV yesterday and it is pretty intense and the outfits used are much more appropriate for the grabbing, etc. Anyways, just an update.

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #45 on: Aug 03, 2012 10:46 AM »

salam

Okaaaay so I've had a week of living amongst the Olympics & my verdict.

It ain't half bad to be honest.

Working in the heart of tourist central and commuting thro the Olympic village each and everyday I have to say everyone is making such a massive effort Mashallah.

Trains are running faster and more frequently, the stations are all manned to the hilt with staff & squaddies (I was thinking people were dressing really badly till I realised they were in army fatigues, their uniform in fact!). Everyone is so so so lovely Alhumulillah & happy to help & determined to make life pleasant for one another.

I walked thro Hyde Park yesterday, the place is also set up for Olympics events. Again it was filled with stewards (mostly student volunteers) and police officers directing people & just being really nice & smiley, there were a lot of bros with beards and the exhausted fasting look on their faces as well all stewarding all pitching in and helping out.
It was lovely to see mashallah.

I don't actually think the crowds in central London are any larger than the usual for this time of year.

The Olympics official uniform however, appears to be quite the most ugliest of clothing I have ever had the misfortune to clap eyes on

And the ugly twisted metal structure I posted further up, is in fact a viewing platform, people pay to go atop and take in the breath taking view of the Olympic village Roll Eyes .... I get a similar view from the upper floors of my work building for free (so I shall not be bothering myself). A little old lady on the train was aghast at the twisted metal structure yesterday and when I explained its purpose, she gasped 'Well I certainly hope they've remembered to put a lift in...' I really got the giggles at that point,  I think they do indeed have a lift to take one up to the viewing platform!

The atmosphere here is celebratory and happy and I am actually rather happy to be a part of it, At the beginning of the month our illustrious Mayor (of London) joined in the fun! It's all so British over here. Wink

Boris Johnson caught on zip wire (2012-08-01)

Wassalaam.

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #46 on: Aug 03, 2012 10:56 AM »

Also agree with Br Jaihoon, except peace does not fill the government coffers unfortunately.....

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #47 on: Aug 04, 2012 10:14 AM »

Salaam

Opening ceremony was nice.

I wish the Pakistanis chose another outfit though and I could barely see the women in the middle.

Saudi woman in the back didn't look good.

USA is doing an amazing job. Yayy USA!:)
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #48 on: Aug 05, 2012 05:10 AM »

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Fozia so glad you're enjoying it now (yeah I kept thinking of you when I saw that thing and glad to know there is some decent purpose to it) and probably doesn't hurt that : OMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA TEAM GB today!!!!!! (Saturday).

as you all say, BRILLIANT!!!!

MO FARAH! Ma'sha'allah!!!!

And my little association with it, Mo and Galen (latter got the silver behind Mo and was seen hugging him at the finish line) native to my city) both trained HERE in PORTLAND. I hadn't realized that!

Mayor Boris is sooo funny getting stuck on that zip line! hahhahhahah!

Yeah, those outfits are uuuuuuuuuuuuugly! lol

Our man Phelps ain't bad though, eh? Just the greatest Olympian of all time....I am a big swimming fan, so all done for me.

Won't be watching track and & field.

Enjoy the rest of it Fozia aunty  Wink

BABA
 desibro

Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #49 on: Aug 05, 2012 09:04 AM »

Subhanallah! Watched on TV yesterday the report about the 'Blade Runner'. Hard work and determination are miracles in themselves. How wonderfully Allah gives an extra dose of courage for the handicap that would embarrass even the abled.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: