// Study pours cold water on drinking eight glasses a day
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Moderation: The Prophet said: 'The religion (of Islam) is easy. No one ever made it difficult without it becoming too much for him. So avoid extremes and strike a balance, do the best you can and be cheerful, and seek Allah's help (through prayer) in the morning, and evening, and part of the night.' (Sahîh Bukhârî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Study pours cold water on drinking eight glasses a day  (Read 857 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Apr 04, 2008 07:21 AM »

WASHINGTON (AFP) - - Drinking enough to quench your thirst is sufficient for the body's needs, and there is no evidence to support the common advice to drink eight glasses of water a day, according to a new study.

"Just drink when you are thirsty," was the advice from a study published Thursday in the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology.

Doctors from the University of Pennsylvania said "there is simply a lack of evidence in general" that everyone should drink the recommended 1.5 litres of water a day.

Researchers Dan Negoianu and Stanley Goldfarb had examined the theory that drinking more water helped the kidneys flush more toxins from the body.

"So the question is does drinking more water increase these normal important functions of the kidneys. And the answer is no," Goldfarb told NPR radio.

"In fact, drinking large amounts of water, actually and surprisingly, tends to reduce the ability of the kidney to function as a filter."

Water has also been touted as an ideal aid to those who want to lose weight. But while drinking more helps dieters feel full, no clinical study has proved that it will help keep the weight off.

"There were some studies that suggested that in fact, calorie intake was reduced when individuals were given water prior to eating. Other studies suggested that it wasn't," Goldfarb added.

Increased water intake was only really justified in extreme cases, such as for athletes, people living in hot, dry climates and those suffering from particular illnesses.

http://malaysia.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080404/tts-health-us-water-972e412.html

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2008 11:12 AM »

Assalamualaikum,

I remember this was quite a big issue about two years ago when a woman died of "water intoxication", when her brain swelled due to too much water.  I think it's become a fad in recent years, especially for women, to lug around huge bottles of evian or whatever brand of bottled water they prefer in the summer and to finish it in as little time as possible. What people don't realise is that the eight glasses a day includes the water you get from your food, fruits and beverages like tea and coffee.

Wassalam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: