Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 20, 2014 02:33 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Alas, poor imam.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oprah goes to Brooklyn  (Read 3400 times)
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« on: Jun 29, 2012 03:00 PM »

salam

Oprah interviewed a Chassidic Jewish family in Brooklyn and not sure when this was aired.  Some parts are just too hilarious!! Our TV is hijacked by my 5 yr old who watches the cartoon channel, so I don't get to see anything.  But a friend sent these to me, and now I am thinking of cancelling cable all together!!!  

Part 1
Oprah's Next Chapter Americas Hidden Culture Part 1 - Hasidic Jews

Part 2
Oprah's Next Chapter Americas Hidden Culture Part 2 - Hasidic Jews

wassalam
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2012 04:13 PM »

Salam alaikum

Sis, thanks for posting this... I never get to watch Oprah anymore.

I watched the second video (the first was blocked, something about copyright in my country...) and it was excellent to hear those women talk.  there are many similarities between how we would explain things and how they did.  I would have liked to have seen more about their children.  If the kids dont watch TV and are not constantly on the internet...I find that amazing, and would have liked them to show more about that.

If these jewish women are able to stay true to their faith, raise their children with their spiritual values, lead responsible and religious lives... then I dont see how we cannot do the same, if not better!  we have all we need to guide us in Islam. 

I think the harmony of their community makes things easier...and they dont have to face the problems of diversity (which is something that is normal and great about our communities, dont get me wrong, but does add a dimension, which may make things more difficult for us to follow what we think is right and true with the support of the entire community).

Its good to see that they can do as they please and lead the lives they want to, and nobody judges them for it.  I wonder how ppl would react to an entirely religious muslim community of 250000 people, with women in hijaab and men with beards and thobes running around...

thanks again for posting.
Salam
S
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2012 06:23 PM »

salam

They talk about not *having* TV or internet or wii or xbox in the first video. Oprah got to sit with the kids and they never heard of mickey mouse, beyonce and other pop culture icons. Only the mom has a cell phone.  The mom and dad have never heard of Oprah herself and never watched her show!!!  It is truly an amazing and a dedicated way to live. The kids are encouraged to read, play piano/violin, help in the house and learn their tradition/religion.  They know their mission and role in life and don't waste time on figuring things out or being immersed in worldly pleasures. 

If it shows anything, this video shows that it *is* possible to live a meaningful life on your terms without having to apologize for your choices.

I am glad you liked the videos!

take care

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: