Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do ppl lose weight in Ramadan??  (Read 5633 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2778

I heart the Madina

« on: Jul 07, 2012 06:48 PM »

Salam,

Ok just wondering if anyone has actually lost weight in Ramadan and how they went about it? Or even just *not gained weight*!! lol which is my goal. Just seems so impossible even if I eat nothing it's like I gain weight??!!

Cinders
Sis

Reps: 254

« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2012 07:33 PM »

Assalamu Alaiykum,

Maybe you can make intention (secondary of course to Ibadaa) that you want to lose weight during Ramadan?

I think you'll naturally stay the way you are OR lose weight.

Ma'Salama
Cinders

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)

Barr
Sis

Reps: 89

« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2012 08:53 PM »

Waalaikumussalam warahmatullah,

I did lose weight or at least not gain any. But since you still do, even with lower calorie intake, you might want to increase physical activity.

I heard good results with Insanity. Some sisters in Ottawa had amazing results with it. Its a 2 month program, but people say they feel a difference with it in weeks. If you start now, I think you could lose some before Ramadan started. It is a bit of a commitment though. 6x per week, 40 minutes each time.

Good luck!
Wassalamualaikum

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1245

« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2012 09:35 PM »

Never try to lose weight by not eating at all, your body thinks your starving so starts to store the fats for survival the next time you give it food...you don't want that. It also leads to a whole host of other problems and you want to be fit and healthy.

Avoid too much fried stuff, eat loads of fruit and drink lots of liquids. And remain active.

Also it's Ramadan, make duas!

I eat loads of fried stuff especially if I'm at my mums so I've never in my life lost weight in Ramadan!

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

peace
Sis

Reps: 214

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2012 09:06 AM »

i gained so much weight since my daughter came that now when I stand up after sitting for a while my legs hurt. In a desperation to lose weight I came upon a website that gurantee a diet plan to lose 10kg in 13 days!!!! Shocked Shocked. its about breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ramzan time it can be suhoor, iftaar and dinner. It goes like this

Day 1
• – Breakfast: 1 cup of coffee + 1 sugar cube
• – Lunch: 2 boiled eggs + 400 g spinach + 1 tomato
• – Dinner: 200g beef steak + 1 fresh green salad with oil and lemon juice
Day 2
• – Lunch: 250 g ham + 1 natural yogurt
• – Dinner: 200g beef steak + 1 salad with oil and lemon juice
 Day 3
• – Breakfast: 1 cup of coffee + 1 sugar cube  + 1 toast slice
• – Lunch: 2 boiled eggs + 1 slice of ham + 1 fresh salad with lemon juice
• – dinner: boiled celery + 1 tomato + 1 fresh fruit (apple, pear, orange)
Day 4
• – Lunch: 200 ml orange juice + 1 natural yogurt
• – Dinner: 1 boiled egg + 1 carrot + 250 g cheese
 Day 5
• – Breakfast: 1 large carrot
• – Lunch: 200 g boiled cod with lemon juice + 1 butter teaspoon
• – Dinner: 200g beef steak + 1 sliced celery
Day 6
• – Breakfast: 1 cup of coffee + 1 cube sugar + 1 toast slice
• – Lunch: 2 boiled eggs + 1 large carrot
• – Dinner: 1 / 2 oven baked chicken + 1 salad with oil and lemon juice

Day 7
• – Breakfast: 1 cup of tea without sugar
• – Lunch: nothing (drink lots of water, it will help!)
• – Dinner: 200 g lamb chops + 1 apple
 Day 8
• – Dinner: 200g beef  steak + 1 salad with oil and lemon juice
Day 9
• – Dinner: 250 g roasted beef + 1 salad with oil and lemon juice
Day 10
• – Breakfast: 1 cup of coffee + 1 sugar cube + 1 toast slice
• – Lunch: 2 boiled eggs + 1 slice of ham + 1 salad
• – Dinner: 1 boiled celery + 1 tomato + 1 fresh fruit (apple, pear, orange)
Day 11
• – Dinner: 1 hard boiled egg + 1 carrot + 250 g  cheese
 Day 12
• – Breakfast: 1 large sliced carrot
• – Dinner: 250 g roasted beef + 1 sliced celery

Day 13
• – Dinner: 250 g chicken + salad with oil and juice of 1 lemon

I keep thinking of trying this but perhaps at the end of thirteen days people will just have an easy time carrying my janaza! 

akhan
Bro

Reps: 1076

« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2012 09:39 AM »

i gained so much weight since my daughter came that now when I stand up after sitting for a while my legs hurt. In a desperation to lose weight I came upon a website that gurantee a diet plan to lose 10kg in 13 days!!!! Shocked Shocked. its about breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ramzan time it can be suhoor, iftaar and dinner. It goes like this

Day 1
• – Dinner: 200g beef steak + 1 fresh green salad with oil and lemon juice
Day 2
• – Dinner: 200g beef steak + 1 salad with oil and lemon juice
 Day 3
• – Lunch: 2 boiled eggs + 1 slice of ham + 1 fresh salad with lemon juice
• – dinner: boiled celery + 1 tomato + 1 fresh fruit (apple, pear, orange)
Day 4
• – Dinner: 1 boiled egg + 1 carrot + 250 g cheese
 Day 5
• – Breakfast: 1 large carrot
• – Dinner: 200g beef steak + 1 sliced celery
Day 6
• – Breakfast: 1 cup of coffee + 1 cube sugar + 1 toast slice
• – Dinner: 1 / 2 oven baked chicken + 1 salad with oil and lemon juice

Day 7
• – Breakfast: 1 cup of tea without sugar
• – Lunch: nothing (drink lots of water, it will help!)
• – Dinner: 200 g lamb chops + 1 apple
 Day 8
• – Dinner: 200g beef  steak + 1 salad with oil and lemon juice
Day 9
• – Dinner: 250 g roasted beef + 1 salad with oil and lemon juice
Day 10
• – Lunch: 2 boiled eggs + 1 slice of ham + 1 salad
• – Dinner: 1 boiled celery + 1 tomato + 1 fresh fruit (apple, pear, orange)
Day 11
• – Dinner: 1 hard boiled egg + 1 carrot + 250 g  cheese
 Day 12
• – Breakfast: 1 large sliced carrot
• – Dinner: 250 g roasted beef + 1 sliced celery

Day 13
• – Dinner: 250 g chicken + salad with oil and juice of 1 lemon

I keep thinking of trying this but perhaps at the end of thirteen days people will just have an easy time carrying my janaza! 

This looks like the GM diet, is it?

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2012 10:40 AM »

thats a horrendous diet, one cup of coffee with a sugar cube for breakfast?  Don't do it. you'll keel over, theres not enough nutrition in there for a child let alone an adult who has to run around after two children!

The best thing is to have a big breakfast and really small dinner early in the evening say 7pm and then not eat the weight actually does drop off this way, and obviously have a decent lunch in between.

And this wont work during Ramadan.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

Mubaraka
Sis

Reps: 412

« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2012 12:46 PM »

Losing 10 kgs in 13days is extremely unhealthy.
Not only does it harm your body clock and metabolism,but also leads to   body disfigurement by causing  loose  and flappy skin.After all u are losing weight for  better health and better looks right?Unfortunately ur plan does not help this purpose.
Make sure u mix body toning exercises along with the diet.And slow and steady always wins the race. Smiley

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2012 04:45 AM »

I heard good results with Insanity.

Well I know I'm pretty crazy, but didn't realize that would help me lose weight Wink But definitely some good tips ladies!! When I'm stressed out or nervous I eat everything in the house instead of the opposite lol. I'll keep trying to eat healthy during Ramadan and avoid the fried stuff and hope that helps.  How many calories in a Medjool date btw? I think it helps when I stick to just one when breaking the fast!!

ws

Riat8883
Ramadan Diaries

Reps: 253

« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2012 06:33 AM »

Eat alot of fruits and vegetables. Drink lots of water especially sehri time. Avoid fast food eat home made food as much as you can. Fill your stomach and leave space for air do not overfeed yourself.
 I used to loose weight long ago in Ramadhan but now adays nope it doesnt happen. But Alihamdulilah I didnt fast last year and I've been paying back my debt I've lost 4kgs in 28 days maybe its also because am breastfeeding.

Baji
Sis

Reps: 332

« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2012 02:04 PM »

Salaams,

I did this diet known as the danish hospital diet i think.... the first time i did it before getting married i lost just under 2 stones in 2 weeks however i was also at this stage a gym freak every day at least an hour and on saturdays 2 hours (step followed by body-pump)... but when you go back to normal healthy food if you stop or even reduce the gym it comes back on really fast.....

when i did it again about 2 years ago i hardly lost 1/2 a stone in the 2 weeks which i am aware is a healthier weight loss however at this stage due to various medical tests etc for unexplained infertility i was told that this diet was NOT good and it was better to eat healthy and maintain the gym even if it is only for 40 mins a day....

As for Ramadan i did loose weight last year Alhamdulillah... probably because of timings.... our day hear in the UK is v long about 2.40am till about 9.20pm i think so at Iftar time you have time for a date some milk / fruit then we used to have dinner straight after maghrib and leave for the mosque for Tarawih... by the time you get home its 12/1230 so nearly time for suhur but because i only ate a few hours ago I found that cereal or yogurt is enough.. the one thing i do have to do is drink lots of water i usually have a big bottle with me at the masjid which i sip between each set of Tarawih and if during the day i felt v v drained or tired i add some fruit squash (no added sugars) to the water...

Baji xx

ruhee
Sis

Reps: 118

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2012 07:29 AM »

Yes, you can loose weight. Eat food which slowly releases energy at suhur, avoid rice or flat breads (like rotis/paranthas) containing generous amounts of butter/ghee (just avoid ghee Sis Jannah), go easy on the Iftaar (moderation is key-spring rolls, fried prawn, samosas and those mouth watering innocent looking dhai vade are not your friends), eat a proper healthy dinner -avoid oily curries - but don't go to bed or in a resting state straight after. Dinner becomes the new lunch so you must be active for it to work. I would eat the same quantity that you would normally eat but make healthier choices- if your body thinks you're starving, even if your intake is low, it will start converting energy into fat. That's why they for a good diet you must eat a small quantity of food at regular intervals.

But unfortunately, this is very hard for indians  Sad (I actually don't know if you are indian but I think long back (when you had flying butterflies on the homepage) I had read that you were) -especially when you have so many iftaar parties and it seems very rude to refuse food...especially when confronted with haleem and dhai vades... shy

akhan
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11, 2012 11:29 AM »

Yes, you can loose weight. Eat food which slowly releases energy at suhur, avoid rice or flat breads (like rotis/paranthas)
So no rice and no roti? Then what am I supposed to eat? Grass?

But unfortunately, this is very hard for indians  Sad (I actually don't know if you are indian but I think long back (when you had flying butterflies on the homepage) I had read that you were) -especially when you have so many iftaar parties and it seems very rude to refuse food...especially when confronted with haleem and dhai vades... shy
Very hard? Hell no! It's impossible! Grin

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Jul 11, 2012 02:46 PM »

Akhan go ahead  eat grass & let us know if it helps stave off hunger whilst helping weight loss.

We await your result with interest!

um aboodi
Sis

Reps: 268

« Reply #14 on: Jul 11, 2012 03:01 PM »

salam

I like what ruhee has said. It is true, when you go without eating for long periods of time, your body goes into starvation mode and this increases the rate  of lipogenesis (fat making) when you eat.  Coupled with the fact that we tend to be less active in Ramadan because we are so tired, our rate of metabolism goes down, and the body just packs fat from all the extra stuff we eat!!

Avoid traditional Ramadan foods that are especially unhealthy like fried goodies,  buttery snacks and those high in carbs or very  sweet.

Healthy eating habits during Ramadan will keep your body nourished and prevent unhealthy weight gain.  

Suhoor ideas:
 -Oat meal with a little bit of cinnamon and maybe raisens + some plain yogurt on the side
 -fava beans (fool) with some pita bread (quarter of a portion) + some rasberries/strawberries
 - 1 or 2 boiled eggs + pita bread + some vegetable slices (e.g. tomato, cucumber)  
 - feta cheese or hallomi cheese on multi grain bread + sweet red pepper slices + fruit cup on the side

Iftar ideas:
 - yellow lentil soup + green salad
 - deli sandwich + spinach salad
 - roasted eggplant slices seasoned with evoo, lemon, garlic + pita crisps + tabooleh
 - a couple of pieces of spinach fatayer (the middle eastern pastry triangles) + salad + soup du jour

Dinner ideas:
- roasted chicken breast + rice + steamed broccoli
- 2 slices of roast beef + baked potato + sting beans
- poached salmon +  quinoa +  roasted shallots
- grilled tofu slices + stir fried baby bak choy

Drink lots of water from iftar to suhoor.  To destress, take someone with you and go for a 1/2 hour walk after praying maghrib and eating a light iftar.   Also, be vigilant about your vitamins, especially D, B6, B12 and iron.

Just say NO to the food that will make you gain weight!!  

insha'Allah this helps.

take care  

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #15 on: Jul 11, 2012 03:23 PM »

We desis eat a ton of carbs!! Like u know how much rice is in one serving?!! a fistful!!! yup and u know how much rice we eat?? its usually a plateful or more lol and bread! we don't even eat bread... we eat naans and rotis and we even fry them and put fat stuff in them!! and don't get me started on desi desserts!! but yeah i like some good fat once in awhile but as a lifestyle we need to change incorporate more of our vegetarian-ness culture perhaps!

Nafs
« Reply #16 on: Jul 11, 2012 07:00 PM »

Um Aboodi, thanks for the good ideas!

I always thought Iftar and Dinner were the same thing ...OR Iftar = date and a cup of water/juice something like that (or the unhealthy thing which would be some sort of fried food)...and then you'd have "dinner." Right after Mahgrib or along with the "breaking" of the fast.

um aboodi
Sis

Reps: 268

« Reply #17 on: Jul 11, 2012 07:50 PM »

salam

you are welcome Nafs!!

you're right, usually iftar describes a massive meal and this is what my family has done in the past.  but I know some other families that just break their fast with dates, juice, soup and maybe salad, pray maghrib, isha and taraweeh then have their dinner after taraweeh.

splitting the meal this way allows you to moderate the shock to your system.  eating a big meal at iftar time may actually make you faint from eating too much and you won't have the energy to pray taraweeh.

are you a chef by the way Nafs??

ruhee
Sis

« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2012 08:56 AM »

We desis eat a ton of carbs!! Like u know how much rice is in one serving?!! a fistful!!! yup and u know how much rice we eat?? its usually a plateful or more lol and bread! we don't even eat bread... we eat naans and rotis and we even fry them and put fat stuff in them!! and don't get me started on desi desserts!! but yeah i like some good fat once in awhile but as a lifestyle we need to change incorporate more of our vegetarian-ness culture perhaps!

"we desis" I got my answer!  Cheesy

Sis jannah, indian muslims = categorically non-vegetarians -lets face it, we know our pulses, carbs and proteins. Vegetables- only a few- the odd stranger you see on your plate once in a while -unless disguised in fatty foods.

ruhee
Sis

« Reply #19 on: Jul 13, 2012 08:59 AM »

salam

I like what ruhee has said. It is true, when you go without eating for long periods of time, your body goes into starvation mode and this increases the rate  of lipogenesis (fat making) when you eat.  Coupled with the fact that we tend to be less active in Ramadan because we are so tired, our rate of metabolism goes down, and the body just packs fat from all the extra stuff we eat!!

Thank you sis, but you have described it more eloquently  Wink

ruhee
Sis

« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2012 09:42 AM »

Yes, you can loose weight. Eat food which slowly releases energy at suhur, avoid rice or flat breads (like rotis/paranthas)
So no rice and no roti? Then what am I supposed to eat? Grass?

Very hard? Hell no! It's impossible! Grin

I never said grass, I did suggest a certain seaweed dish which you kindly went and a tried a version without the seaweed and than complained about the taste  karate

And hey, even "impossible" spells i-m-possible.

akhan
Bro

« Reply #21 on: Jul 13, 2012 06:53 PM »

I'm sure it would've been equally horrible even with the seaweed.

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #22 on: Jul 13, 2012 07:05 PM »

Seaweed is really nice

akhan
Bro

« Reply #23 on: Jul 13, 2012 08:51 PM »

Seaweed is really nice
It is grass anyway, so no thank you Cheesy

ruhee
Sis

« Reply #24 on: Jul 14, 2012 12:25 AM »

So you have never ate or liked china grass? You know that's made from dehydrated seaweed?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: