// Make Bradford ''British''
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "The word "shams" (sun) is feminine, and "qamar" (moon) is masculine. The sun burns itself out to give light and life to everything around, and the moon is muneer, meaning it reflects the light. Within itself it has no light; it radiates the brilliance of the sun. So when we shine as men, the implication is that we are reflecting the glorious light of our women. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'aala be pleased with them."  - Shaykh Abdullah Adhami
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Make Bradford ''British''  (Read 1074 times)
Israaeel
Bro

Reputation Power: 11
Israaeel has no influence :(

« on: Mar 19, 2012 01:01 AM »

Salaam

This might be a good topic, even though its a bit old now...

Make Bradford British was a programme to promote integration, but as Muslims we remain Muslims no matter where we go. We do not integrate, rather we encourage others to integrate into Islaam.
And anyway, no one in the programme [or elsewhere] actually defined what it means to be british.... so what exactly are we mean to integrate to?

Check this video for a brief feedback given by a brother, forward if you find it beneficial:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV-tjZjGYJU&list=UU5F8uVYleswpdRzYf5S3i6g&index=1&feature=plcp
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2012 05:27 AM »

Wsalam,

Ok permit an American to speak on this... I only watched 2 mins of your youtube video so can't comment on it. Are you the brother speaking in it btw??

The program from what I understand was about making two different people each other's buddies, like a muslim guy and a xtian guy and then they have to spend time with each other and go to each other's houses or something and learn about the other's culture?? Not sure if this is the same show? Seemed like a very normal inter-faith-culture type thing to me. One of the xtian ppl was like i've lived in bradford all my life and never "met" anyone except "my kind" even though I see them all the time in the street and at stores!! etc.

Anyways I think your definition of "integration" is the problem here. Integration doesn't mean not being Muslim or not practicing anymore. It doesn't mean not praying and compromising our faith or whatever else people think. It means being a citizen of one's country and contributing to it by working there, living there, raising one's children, being part of the society, voting, volunteering, paying taxes, having friends that are not of your own culture, inviting them to dinner etc etc. It means  NOT living only in Muslim ghettos and ONLY socializing with Muslims one's entire life. And it means NOT having the mentality that everyone else in your country is the "OTHER" and one's enemy.

I think British Muslims because of their socio-history have a difficult time with this. They feel more victimized and feel like they are the "other" and need to band together because of all the perceived and real racism and hate.

Until recently the Muslims in the USA were very different. In our socio-history most of the Muslims who came here were professionals and academics and wanted to be part of the society and integrate. They worked hard to to be a part of American society on purpose, sent their kids to public schools and to islamic schools on the weekend. They never felt like they were the "other" or "victimized" because  the US is a nation of immigrants. They never moved into ghettos. Instead they spread out across suburbs and across the entire US including the midwest and non-big cities. American Muslims never felt alienated or disenfranchised then. Thus they were never perceived so negatively by the larger society (until 9/11 and the extremely sharp rise of islamophobia the last couple years of course, which has changed things).

Anyway it's an interesting thing to explore the history of Muslims in Britain versus the US. I think we can learn a lot from each other.

Ok wsalam

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2012 08:20 AM »

PS not saying American Muslims are perfect or anything, faaar from it lol we have major problems and could learn a lot from what British Muslims have established via organizations, schools, programs and resources, politics and how they are going about solving their problems being a generation ahead of us etc!!
mujaahid
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
mujaahid has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2012 01:34 PM »

Asa

From what I have gathered over the years, American Muslims tend to come across very liberal and ignorant of American policy towards others outside of the USA. The major difference for me between UK Muslims and American Muslims, is we in the UK are not so concerned about being accepted and fitting in. Our concerns are primarily deen, and the Ummah as a whole. We see the suffering of Muslims around the world at the hands of British Armed forces and british foreign policy and we therefore act and speak out against it, regardless if it makes us disliked.

Whereas the American Muslims seem more concerned with fitting in with American life and culture, and being accepted by the masses. American Muslims seem to want to be American first, Muslim second. Whereas British Muslims want to be Muslim first, British second. This to me is the major difference.

As a British Muslim, I'm not proud to be British or proud of what britain does around the world. I was born and raised here and therefore by default i'm British. However I AM proud of being Muslim and my deen.

I am slightly surprised that American Muslims so rarely speak out against what America does abroad, in particualr towards Muslims. Much of the turmoil in the muslim world over the last few decades has been caused, or influenced by the USA, yet Muslims seem silent on this, as they dont want to appear to be unpatriotic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: