// Are you a fan ?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Life is short, time is precious, death near, and the distance to travel great, while the moment of standing before God to account for everything, however insignificant, is daunting and hard," - Imam al-Haddad
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you a fan ?  (Read 6743 times)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« on: Mar 26, 2008 10:16 AM »

Salaams,

May be i've a huge ego or something but I hate the idea of becoming 'fans' of 'actors' or actresses. One can like their acting and all but becoming fans ?! ... of actors ?!  Huh?

I like keeping a distance even if I find myself close to any stars. Even though I like the super cool, super deeni cricketers, like Inzaman, Yusuf, Mushtaq, Saqlain but i've had times when they were sitting in the next row in masjid but I didn't like the idea of everyone flocking around them even. And inzi has a house next to my office, I have walked past him like 2 or 3 times, wanted to shake hands but then thought its the common people like us who become one ingredient in making many of these stars rude like they are.

Now i'm rambling, soo... okay bye!

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2008 05:25 PM »

well I think a 'fan' means you just like how they are doing their field..

I think its annoying when girls become fans of sami yusuf and baba ali.. I think its annoying when they become fans and start oogling them and stuff and its specially annoying because they do the work for deen, and I would like them to mention (if they havent already) that they dont like it and they are doing this for Allah swt and they would prefer that girls dont go all crazy on them
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2008 10:58 PM »

ws,

I think there's nothing wrong with being a fan of someone. There's many people in the world I admire for their attributes and talents.

blackrose: how do you know he's married? and if he was maybe he should put it, but it's really up to him. why blame him for the ogling girls! that's like blaming a girl for all the guys ogling her!
nuh
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2008 02:08 AM »

As salaam alaikum.

I am not a fan of anyone. I think that's the safest way to play out this lifetime.

Allahu alam,
nuh
 bro
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2008 02:43 AM »

blackrose: how do you know he's married? and if he was maybe he should put it, but it's really up to him. why blame him for the ogling girls! that's like blaming a girl for all the guys ogling her!
haha well ofcourse Im not blaming him , everyone is responsible for their self.. but Im just saying that I dont understand why he doesnt write that hes married (desertrose mentioned that he was) on relationship status when he knows girls are all over him. .. I just think as a person who is doing 'Islamic videos' he would not want girls to do that and so if he wrote married it might stop some from doing it

neway I thought it about it and i feel like im backbiting bout nother muslim so went bak and changed my post

by the way welcome back brother Nuh

asalmaulaikum
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2008 11:16 AM »

Salaams,

So we are discussing three different categories here:

1] Hollywood/ Bollywood / Lollywood and Pollywood Actors and Actresses.

2] Muslim sports stars

3] People who are doing something for the deen, Nasheed singers, dawah workers be it serious lectures or fun dawah.

For first category I fail to see why would anyone become a fan of say Kajol or Katrina Kaif, or Anglina Jolie. If you really like them in a role then you can say that their specific performance was good. But dying to meet them, watching their stage/talk shows, trying hard to shake their hand is really downplaying ourselves, IMO.

Same for Muslim sport stars.

And i'm in two minds for the last category. I've heard that we shouldn't run after personalities rather after the good naseeha that comes through them. We must respect them and ask for taufeeq of Allah swt to be used for our deen like they are being used, but at the same time we shouldn't become such that we take everything that comes from them without questionaing its validity.

Just some more random thoughts about the topic.

Wasalam.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2008 01:06 PM »

Assalamualaikum,

According to the OED:
fan = A fanatic; in mod.E. (orig. U.S.): a keen and regular spectator of a (professional) sport, orig. of baseball; a regular supporter of a (professional) sports team; hence, a keen follower of a specified hobby or amusement, and gen. an enthusiast for a particular person or thing.

I guess it depends on the degree of enthusiasm.

I've seen photos of girls posing with Muslim boy bands like 786, with Baba Ali, with sheikhs like Amr Khaled, girls screaming for autographs and pictures with Sami Yusuf. Also, girls at a Sami Yusuf performance swaying to the music and singing along  Shocked. I mean, appreciate their work and all that, but get a grip! Don't forget your haya as soon as you see a "celebrity". 

Wassalam,
a_desert_rose

ps: Baba Ali IS married to my knowledge. I don't recall the exact reference but he is, and the little girl in the Distractions during Salah video is his daughter. Someone correct me if you know otherwise!
ETA: some evidence (of sorts):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TjVGwqQFbg&feature=related

At 2:27 he's talking about a friend and says "He used to be my roommate before I got married..." not relevant to the topic but it was bugging me.
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2008 03:32 PM »

yah he is married.. I personally asked giving the excuse that it is not mentioned on his facebook profile.
Also, girls at a Sami Yusuf performance swaying to the music and singing along  . I mean, appreciate their work and all that, but get a grip! Don't forget your haya as soon as you see a "celebrity". 

really? that is really disturbing considering he sings for Islam and what the girls are doing and what he is allowing them to do is totally against Islam:( I mean ok to a point i do blame them more (not the girls) just because they are the role model and they are allowing it to happen
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2008 06:42 PM »

wsalam,

you guys seem like those "crazed fans" you're talking about going to those depths to find out if he's married! Smiley again who cares if he is or isn't. it's no relevance to us. and perhaps he is divorced/separated or something or for whatever reason he doesn't want personal information about his wife and family to get out. people would only start criticizing his wife if they knew who she was -- oh she doesn't wear hijab/ she doesn't wear niqab, oh she's a convert this or that. i can totally understand him wanting to keep his private life separate. it has nothing to do with what he's trying to do. also, remember that these people get a lot of criticism for nothing, just look at everything that is written against sami yusuf yet he DOES NOTHING to encourage this behavior. what is he going to do? get a taliban like security police to go drag girls out of his concerts?  anyways i think we should all stop criticizing people who are trying to do creative work for islam. if you don't like it fine go do something else. the amount of dawah they do is wayyy more than those ppl who sit on their couches cluck-clucking in criticism while they watch ZTV, MTV or LBS.
Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 23
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Ahla Haya

« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2008 08:17 PM »

Well, perhaps he's looking for a second wife Lips Sealed

"Do not treat people with contempt, nor walk insolently on the earth. Allah does not love the arrogant or the self-conceited boaster. Be modest in your bearing and subdue your voice, for the most unpleasant of voices is the braying of the ass." [The Holy Qur'an, Surah Luqman - 31:18-19]
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2008 11:20 PM »

you guys seem like those "crazed fans" you're talking about going to those depths to find out if he's married! Smiley again who cares if he is or isn't. it's no relevance to us.

Well, I'd mentioned it before in another thread and I was wondering how where I'd heard it myself etc etc and I came across this vid  Smiley

anyways i think we should all stop criticizing people who are trying to do creative work for islam. if you don't like it fine go do something else. the amount of dawah they do is wayyy more than those ppl who sit on their couches cluck-clucking in criticism while they watch ZTV, MTV or LBS.

I don't know if that was for me or blackrose, but I'm not for one minute suggesting that Muslim celebrities like Sami Yusuf etc are culpable for what some crazy female fans do.

Wassalam
blackrose
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2008 03:07 AM »

am not a crazed fan of anyone not even sharukh khan Grin hmm or even george clooney..or even brad pitt and the last goes on and on...but hmm maybe of Rasulilah, how about that..now that is a question to ask, can we be a fan of the prophet pbuh?

salaamz
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2008 09:07 AM »

Salaams,

but hmm maybe of Rasulilah, how about that..now that is a question to ask, can we be a fan of the prophet pbuh?

salaamz

By.

All.

Means.

Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2008 09:21 PM »

A Letter to the Editor,

Dear Editor

I am upset at the 'dissining'  Mr. Baba Ali got at the hands of some of your readers.No,
 I cannot verify nor deny he is married, for I really dont know if he is.

well baba ali has many girls oogling over him and i hate that fact that he doesnt
 'say hes married in his facebook profile while there is an open place for relationship
 status and he has ignored tha tpart but filled some other stuff:(  that really makes me
 wonder.. will it hurt the business or something if you mention you are married?! And that
 is something a muslim should not be worried about and definately mention if he is married
 if he is being ooglled by so many girls.. the oogling may not stop but it may improve and
 he would have atleast tried

SubhanAllah !

everyone is responsible for their self.. but Im just saying that I dont
 understand why he doesnt write that hes married (desertrose mentioned that he was)

Wow all this reprimand based on 'he said she said'/heresay ? I wonder what the tone of
 the poster be if she had known for a fact that Baba Ali was married Wink

Sr desertrose please publicly spill the beans on BabaAli Tongue

Truly

A distressed but non ogling, non whirring Baba Ali fan Wink

Sorry Bro Nuh and hope this dosent hit you hard "Hard 2 Hit" that BabaAli has a fan
 following on this site

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
a_desert_rose
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2008 03:50 PM »

Bottom line is that girls shouldn't be ogling him regardless of whether he is married or unmarried. The 'lower your gaze' thing is not only for guys! AND...obviously its not at all his fault if they do.

I'd like to think I'm a fan of Baba Ali but people have different interpretations of what it means to be a fan.

Wassalam,

a_desert_rose
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2008 05:53 PM »

Can't one be a fun without wanting to meet the 'actor' or 'actress'? 

I am a fun and I have no desire to meet any of my favourite actors or actress.  I admire them, I don't scream or fawn over them.  Neither do I follow their every move.   Only their films because of their acting skills.  And I am sure there many people like me who are sane and reasonable and can distinguish between being a crazy over the top fan and just a fan.  There is a difference, mind you.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2008 07:19 AM »

Salaams,

Can't one be a fun without wanting to meet the 'actor' or 'actress'? 

I am a fun and I have no desire to meet any of my favourite actors or actress. 

You mis-spelled fan twice, you obviously aren't a true fan :-p

Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2008 07:35 AM »

Oh yeah!  That goes to show you how a great a fun sorry fan, I am.
Old people are wonderful funs, oops, fans!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: