Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

To biryani, or not to biryani.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: It's snowing!!!  (Read 1483 times)
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« on: Aug 07, 2012 01:10 PM »

Salam alaikum

Wish I could find all the cute snowmen smileys!  It is officially snowing here, and I have not seen snow like this *ever* in this city (it did snow really hard once way back in 1981 or something)...there was enough fluffy soft snow to have a snowball fight and everything!! malaysis

Alhamdulillah, most people here have never seen snow, so everyone was really excited!  madinaflag

So for all of you in summer, thought I'd share our little bit of christmas  Cheesy in Ramadaan  Wink

Slm
S.

not my pic, something I found...my office is just near that tower! 
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2012 07:48 PM »

really, seriously? we've just only got over the cold weather here, I alternate between turning the heating on and off during the week!

No more snow threads till at least december, I refuse ot click on them till then.....we've not even had much of a summer this year, we're currently experiencing a slight monsoon season interpesed with grey muggy sweaty days......ah ingerland how to describe how annoying your weather is, how difficult it is to dress in the morning as guranteed the weather will be the opposite come mid afternoon!!!!!!

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2012 09:42 PM »

salam

Masha'Allah Shahida, this is awesome! Take pictures and keep them in a scrap book - you may be witnessing history in the making!

I like it after the first snowfall. Not sure if the roads or homes in Jo'burg are built for snow though.  Are they?

Keep warm with a hot cocoa after iftar or at suhoor time. With lots of halal marshmallows of course.

The weather here has been balmy and a bit on the dry side.  Nothing to complain about alhamdulillah.

take care
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2012 01:57 AM »

It snows in Africa? Unbelievable

we've not even had much of a summer this year, we're currently experiencing a slight monsoon season interpesed with grey muggy sweaty days......ah ingerland how to describe how annoying your weather is, how difficult it is to dress in the morning as guranteed the weather will be the opposite come mid afternoon!!!!!!
That's one crazy country to be in lol
lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2012 03:00 PM »

Wow, this is awesomee..although I echo sis Fozia..I rather not see this - kind of enjoying teh warm summer weather right now....Winter is sooooo close it's frightening lol. Glad you guys are enjoying the snowball snow though...wow
Shahida
Sis

Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2012 09:40 AM »

hehehe

I suppose I should add that it *only* snowed for like a couple of hours, let us have some fun, and then the sun came out again!  temps are not really up there, but the sun is shining as I write this.  SO to make it worse, my winter is probably better than most summers anywhere, too.  Wink

slm
s.
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2012 10:08 AM »

I remember when I was in South Africa once - Pretoria - a South African colleague mentioned that once upon a time, it snowed in South Africa! The rest of us - coming from Eastern Africa (Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Tanzania and Uganda) and Southern Africa (Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Magadscar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe) were like: "Really?" We just couldn't imagine it. Now I believe her.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2012 06:57 AM »

Woke up to some beautiful snow here in London this morning!!   snowflake snowflake Sux for commuters tho!! snow Stay warm ppls!!
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2012 08:37 AM »

Yes it's snowing & I stoooopidly left my snowboots at work.

Anyone got a tropical island they'd like to lend me for the next four months or so?
I'll pay you in cakes & biscuits

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Shahida
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2012 09:40 AM »

you need snowboots?  What are snowboots?

Oh God, I need to mentally (nevermind physically) prepare for winters...

Keep warm guys
Salam
S.
peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2012 11:48 AM »

I can

Anyone got a tropical island they'd like to lend me for the next four months or so?
I'll pay you in cakes & biscuits

I don't have a tropical island but i can invite you to my city where we are still running the fan on full speed and covering ourselves with cotton sheets!!
missing the winters of last time at a differnt place and the pleasure it adds to chai and chicken  Smiley
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2012 12:12 PM »

Snowboots have thermal lining, are water proof, and have rubber soles which cover about three inches all round the edge of the foot part of the shoe as well. They keep your tootsies warm and dry & prevent you from falling over and slipping.

I really feel the cold tho.

The snow will have gone by February I suppose. It's not properly snowed everywhere yet so we won't know how severe/light it's going to be.

Sis Peace, your invitation sounds enticing. Everyone give generously to the get Foz & her girls to nicer climes for winter fund - I thank you.

Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2012 01:13 PM »

i'm still waiting for our full snow to come we didn't have enough to stick and it is sunny and bright..... i love going out to play in the first snow fall.... making snow men and having snow ball fights... followed by a walk to the local mcdonalds for icecream... then a walk home for hot chocolate and snuggle on the sofa under a duvet with a book ...mmmm wonderful.....
Shahida
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2012 06:43 PM »

slm

just googled snowboots, thanks Fozia, now know what you're talking about!  they're expensive!!!! but you need them to make it through your winters, gosh I don't know how you guys don't get all depressed and gloomy.

we're having a wet summer, so no real heatwave (which is good, but I would have liked to see more sunshine). alhamdulillah:-) for everything.

So whats the weather like in London in March?  And how do you dress? Cuz suppose everything is all warm inside, but freezing outside?  We have not discovered central heating, so if it is cold outside, chances are it is cold inside also :-P

enough of me and the cold weather questions
Salam
S.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2012 07:29 PM »

March is crazy, I had Fatima during March and I remember well how hot it was, no coats type weather. It can however be biting cold, I think we did have snow one March (it's England, weather is the only thing we talk about).

During most of the year tho, I wake up thinking its going to be really cold and it will be icy in the morning then by afternoon it will be sweltering,  I hate that, I can't very well walk around with a change of clothes in my handbag during eight months of the year!

Homes are generally made to retain heat (hah as if it works), so when we go indoors we remove coats, snow boots, woolly hats, mittens and woolly scraves, and walk around in our normal clothes, I take a change of shoes to wear (actually thats a lie, I leave selection of shoes at work to change into and wear sensible walking shoes to work).

So in answer to your question we never know how to dress for English weather, you look out of the window and make a guess (I once found it so unbearable hot I went and bought an entire outfit at lunchtime...... my manager asked as we were going home, 'were you wearing that this morning?' Undecided  Cheesy )

Shahida
Sis

« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2012 02:37 PM »

mmm, thansk Sr Fozia, bu that's no help at all Wink  Small suitcase here!!!  InshaAllah, I think I will be ok as long as it does not snow...! 

geez louizzze...I sure am glad alhamdulillah to live here:-)  We're blessed alhamdulillah with amazing weather.

thats a not so small hint for all of you who have been promising to visit for years and ages, to finally DO IT!
Wslm
S.
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2013 02:46 PM »

Yup, it is. In London today April 4th!!
Shahida
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2013 05:49 PM »

hehe, just read my post above .. turns out I was *fine* alhamdulillah, even in the snow in London!

Glad to be back home though, with no snow forecast for another decade:-) I hope...

The weather is really topsy-turvy...may Allah help us! April is supposed to be spring, but its snowing all over?!

Button up, stay home, warm n cozy.
Slm
S.
islamicsocks

Reputation Power: 10
islamicsocks has no influence :(

[Banned]

« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2013 07:28 PM »

Yes,
You know what happened.
This morning I wasn't expecting snow. So when I was walking towards my car and I saw flakes coming towards me, I thought a man that walked past me had really bad dandruff.
It took me a whole to realise it was snow.
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #19 on: Apr 05, 2013 11:32 AM »

Aww I've just come back from Up North and I cannot believe it, but it's warmer there than the south in UK. Yes I was shocked! Shocked I tell you to see snow in London yesterday. I'm now sick too, cos of the cold. Sad

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
Shahida
Sis

« Reply #20 on: Apr 05, 2013 02:56 PM »

Aww Cinders! Keep warm and get better soon inshaAllah...

(was just reading your post,and it was like I could hear you talking mashaAllah! hope to meet again soon:-))

Everyone take care out there...even the poor storks in Norway are confused by the cold, shame poor things..
Slm
S.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2013 12:20 PM »

salam,

Anyone seen those incredible pictures of the historic snow in the middle east! They are pretty amazing. I'll attach some below. (U have to login to see pics)

My hometown in NY is getting clobbered with snow this weekend. Everyone's having a great time (except anyone that has to go to work!), posting pics of their 'winter wonderland' and snow angels.

It hasn't snowed yet here in London, which I guess is normal for over here. (Alhamdulillah!) Last year was pretty crazy! But I do miss that cozy feeling of preparing for a big storm, watching the beautiful silent snow and waking up to a white world. Getting allll bundled up and going out to have a great time and then coming home to biryani and brownies Wink

snow snow snow
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2013 01:06 PM »

It snowed even in Saudi, in Tabuk! There's a beautiful picture of camels walking in the snow.

BARQ NEWS..SNOW FALL IN TABUK SAUDI ARABIA ON FRIDAY 13TH DEC 2013
Halima
Sis

Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2013 03:58 PM »

Wow! Those are beautiful pics. Wonders never cease.

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2013 04:10 PM »

Here is Minneapolis - the front of the building where I work, December 4. It snowed for 24 hours non stop beginning evening of December 3! Minnesota Winters are the pits!!!

The Almighty Allah says,

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: