Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 25, 2014 06:14 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: What's in a name? That which we call a zahra. By any other name would smell as shariah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The God of Marriage  (Read 1470 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Sep 10, 2012 09:07 AM »

This is such a great article for all the ladies  we are indeed more similar than we are different!!  -- j

-----////

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/06/the-god-of-marriage/

After a month in San Francisco, Townies returns to New York City.

Townies is a series about life in New York, and occasionally other cities.
TAGS:

MARRIAGE, NEW YORK CITY

I admit that I often eavesdrop in crowded coffee shops. If my school paper is still a collection of half-disjointed claims, if I’ve got a barrage of e-mails screaming to be answered, if my date is boring me with stories about his mother’s cooking — the conversation at the next table often provides welcome relief.

But one afternoon a few weeks ago, at a Starbucks on the Upper East Side, I told myself I had to focus. I had chosen to write my British literature term paper on the notion of marriage in Virginia Woolf’s “Mrs. Dalloway,” despite the Orthodox Jewish Girl stereotypes that decision sent buzzing in my head. (You religious girls in your 20s. One-track minds, the lot of you.) I set my iced coffee down and turn to Woolf.

“There’s nothing in the world so bad for some women as marriage,” Peter Walsh thinks to himself, watching a poised Mrs. Dalloway mend a party dress. Yet before I can even jot down the page number, the next table’s conversation drifts over:

“The point is, she’s married now. I don’t talk to her. ’Cause she’s married now, you know?”

I sigh and think, all women are the same. This envy, so thinly disguised — just like the conversations I have with my own girlfriends, all of us rushing to add the obligatory “but I’m so happy for her.”

“Yeah, no one talks to married friends. They fall off the face of the earth.” I smile: It’s the perpetual complaint of the single girl — until she herself is no longer single, and becomes busy with wedding registries and guest lists and then a kitchen and then diapers.

“I barely spoke to her at the bridal shower, there were so many girls there … And even at the wedding, she was on the men’s side the whole time!”

On the men’s side. Of course. Fellow Orthodox Jews. Probably from Flatbush, judging from the accents. I bet that if I look up from my book, I’ll take one glance at their outfits and be able to guess which high school and seminary they each went to. I suppress the urge.

“Sometimes I wonder, how it is that those girls get married, and we don’t?”

I can already chart out the rest of the conversation — the young women recounting to each other their wonderful qualities: good daughters, bright students, community activists, not bad-looking domestic creatures with a flair for business and a willingness to support a scholarly husband. They just haven’t found the right one yet.

“I don’t know, maybe I’m not religious enough. You know, my brother was just set up with this great girl, and he called it off. He said she’s not religious enough for him. He wears a beard now, you know.”

I knew boys like this. Perhaps he had felt that the girl wasn’t fit to marry a scholar from a family as illustrious as his. Perhaps he had discovered her Facebook profile, found her tagged in pictures with unrelated young men. Perhaps he heard that she listens to secular music, that she likes to go to the movies in Sheepshead Bay. Or perhaps he was just scared of something restless in her eyes, worried she’d be too complicated a wife, too outspoken at times and at other times too mysterious.

When I finally look up, expecting to see mirror images of myself in pleated skirts and cardigans, I am speechless. The two young women sitting next to me are in hijabs and colorful long robes, with only their faces exposed. They’re leaning toward each other, iced lattes by their wrists. One wears Marc Jacobs glasses, the other bright lipstick. And it feels like hearing my native language in a foreign country.

Rutu Modan
There we are. Me, in a high-necked, long-sleeved blouse, knee-length pencil skirt, in the midst of a heat wave. And these girls, also covered in the name of God or something, while the city’s bright-eyed interns run about with bare shoulders and flip-flops.

It is easy to imagine them reciting silent prayers on the subway, like me, barely moving their lips so the other passengers don’t notice. I wonder if they also profess to be career-oriented and yet sometimes wish to be home, pouring tea, singing softly in a child’s bedroom. If at moments they, too, feel that their bodies are political battlefields, no longer their own, and then, at other times, love the rush of fabric, the swish of long skirts, the mystery of secret skin. I wonder if they check the engagement announcements online and go on dates with the same excitement and weariness, and avert their eyes because that’s how they were taught, or because it’s the modest thing to do, or because they’re afraid of the power of one penetrating look. And marriage, that girlhood dream, yet also sometimes — how does Virginia Woolf put it? — “They spoke of marriage always as a catastrophe.”

I glance at the clock. I have about 20 minutes to find a quiet place to recite mincha, the afternoon prayer. Something in me wishes to turn to the next table, and invite my neighbors to join me.
imaazh
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 17
imaazh has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2012 10:22 AM »

peace be upon you

I really enjoyed this article  Smiley

It reminds me of a 2007 independant film entitled "Arranged" about two young first year teachers who start their careers on the same day at a School in New York.  One is Muslim and the other Orthodox Jewish. The film explores the trials that these women go through in their pursuit of a suitable potential spouse. 

I have loved this movie ever since I first saw it.  Not just because it's about teachers  Wink but also because it highlights just how much common ground we have as people of faith.  Has anyone else seen it? 
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2012 11:21 AM »

Ohhh it was on Hulu and se7en was raving about it but unfortunately never got around to see it. Ia I'll try to find it again when I'm in the us to watch it.
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2012 12:41 AM »

Saw Arranged, got it on Amazon for our Masjid library-Loved it!

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2012 09:28 AM »

I watched arranged as well (last night), it was cute and whimsical... I loved how Rachel told off the headteacher lol

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
imaazh
Ramadan Diaries

imaazh has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2012 08:57 AM »

it was cute and whimsical... I loved how Rachel told off the headteacher lol

Agreed  Smiley Smiley Smiley  It was whimsical, if only everyone in real life could find common ground like those two characters did.

I also loved the part where Rachel stands up for herself.  It was like  madauntie and in a way, that scene represented the struggle that all women of faith go through in order to be taken seriously. 
JustOne
Sis

JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2012 05:16 AM »

Nice article.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: