// Aamir On The Olympic Torch, Tibet , China, Palestine , Iraq And The Kashmiri Pun
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: True devotion is to loose the faculty of being conscious of your devotion; for someone who identifies devotion in his devotion is a person whose devotion is in need of devotion. - as Sousi
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aamir On The Olympic Torch, Tibet , China, Palestine , Iraq And The Kashmiri Pun  (Read 2114 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Apr 03, 2008 02:21 PM »

So what does Aamir Khan have to say on the matter? Well, we bring to you his latest comments from his blog Embarrassed

" Over the last few days I have received several requests not to participate in the Olympic Torch Relay. Requests through members of my family, personal friends, people who are associated with the Tibetan struggle, and my blog. I have gone through and read each and every letter, message and post pertaining to this issue.

I would like to state that I have the highest regard and respect for the struggle that the people of Tibet are going through. I completely empathize with them. Similarly, I have the highest respect and regard for the struggle that the people of Iraq, Kashmiri Pundits who have been displaced, Kashmiris in general, and the people of Palestine, are going through. I have named above just a few instances of human rights violations. Across the world, and indeed within our own country too, there are several instances and examples of atrocities and human rights violation, which are still continuing. I categorically state that I am absolutely against any form of violence, and certainly I am deeply upset whenever the basic rights of human beings are violated anywhere in the world.

However, I feel that the Olympic Games do not belong to China.

In fact if we were to try and find on this planet a place to hold the Olympic Games where the government of that place has not been responsible for human rights violations (in one way or the other), then I suspect that we would be left with very few options, if any at all. If I am not mistaken almost all societies have been responsible for human rights violation either directly or indirectly, sometimes in seen ways and sometimes in unseen ways, sometimes physically, sometimes economically.

The Olympic Games represent for me the coming together of different people across the world despite their differences and difficulties. It is an opportunity for sportsmen and women across the world to showcase their talent, to challenge themselves and others, and for others to watch and marvel at the achievements of the human body, mind and soul.

Are human rights violations continuing across the globe while all this is happening. I’m afraid so. And I hope and pray for the day that we can one day live in absolute peace and harmony, where human suffering is done away with.

I am no one to tell any group of people how they should conduct their struggle. I am not part of it and am not going through what they are going through. But my heart goes out to them.

I request those of you who have asked me to stay away from the Olympic Torch Relay to understand that when I do run with the torch on the 17th of April it is not in support of China. In fact it will be with a prayer in my heart for the people of Tibet, and indeed for all people across the world who are victims of human rights violations. "

I agree with him.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2008 10:38 PM »

salam

I hope success doesn't spoil him.

Very well put I thought, and so glad he did speak out.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2008 12:27 AM »

Assalamualaikum,

I agree with you, extremely well put, although the sceptic in me wonders how much of that he actually wrote himself Smiley

In fact if we were to try and find on this planet a place to hold the Olympic Games where the government of that place has not been responsible for human rights violations (in one way or the other), then I suspect that we would be left with very few options, if any at all. If I am not mistaken almost all societies have been responsible for human rights violation either directly or indirectly, sometimes in seen ways and sometimes in unseen ways, sometimes physically, sometimes economically.

Sadly, very true.

I hope success doesn't spoil him.

This coming from Aamir Khan the actor, success doesn't seem to have spoiled him as a human being. I don't have anything against him personally, but why has he been chosen for the Olympic Torch Relay anyway? Isn't a former sports-person more appropriate?

Wassalam,

a_desert_rose

ps. I was reading the comments on the blog, this one is unbelievable:

So Islamic Jihadism is rewarded with statehood in Palestinian and "highest respect" in Jammy & Kashmir. Similarly Chinese imperialism is legitimized tacitly by coolly ignoring its presence behind the Olympics. And what about Tibetan pacifism? It is penalized by putting it in the same category as blood-thirsty religious fanaticism of the semitic kind. Aamir, you identify more with your Muslim brethren rather than your Hindu heritage regardless of how 'moderate' or 'modern' you may claim to be. That is the condition of any convert, including yourself. However, why indulge in such nakedly unfair moral relativism when it comes to Tibetans? Also how can you place Kashmiri Pandits in the same category as Kashmiri Jihadists? Either you are out of your mind or nakedly traitorous. In my opinion you are both.

What Hindu heritage?
Halima
Sis

Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2008 09:01 AM »

So Islamic Jihadism is rewarded with statehood in Palestinian and "highest respect" in Jammy & Kashmir. Similarly Chinese imperialism is legitimized tacitly by coolly ignoring its presence behind the Olympics. And what about Tibetan pacifism? It is penalized by putting it in the same category as blood-thirsty religious fanaticism of the semitic kind. Aamir, you identify more with your Muslim brethren rather than your Hindu heritage regardless of how 'moderate' or 'modern' you may claim to be. That is the condition of any convert, including yourself. However, why indulge in such nakedly unfair moral relativism when it comes to Tibetans? Also how can you place Kashmiri Pandits in the same category as Kashmiri Jihadists? Either you are out of your mind or nakedly traitorous. In my opinion you are both.

What Hindu heritage?

Give to people to find a connection between your faith and your opinions and then twist them.

Does he if even practice his religion?  Does anybody really care whether he does or not?  But because he is a Muslim by religion and has opinion about Palestine and Kashir among others, then he is game for attack.  If a Hindu has said the same, then story would have been different.

I think is carrying the torch courtesy of Coca Cola because is a brand ambassador for Coca Cola.

The Almighty Allah says,

ume bilal
Sis

Reputation Power: 9
ume bilal has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2008 11:33 PM »

Assalamo Ailkum.

With respect to all views and comments...

It is not for us to judge Aamir Khan as regards to whether he is a good Muslim or not..Allah is the ultimate judge.....

So what if he did not write the statement, he must have agreed to the content. It sends an important message to the west....The struggle for Palestine etc...is a real as for the Tibetans...

The more Muslims are given high profile roles the better...it gives a voice for all of us...

Let us not judge him, but be thankful that he has also used this opportunity to show that we do not accept the abuse of human rights for all humans..
No offence to anyone.
Salaams.
JJ
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2008 03:30 PM »

salaam

Im sorry but this just seems an excuse to go to the Olympics.  President Bush made a very similar speech when he was pressured not to go to the Olympics by saying he doesn not agree with the human rights scandal and he is only going to 'pray' and to show that 'it is not right'
I think that if you truly dont agree with what china is doing you should make the 'sacrifice' and not go. If many do not go then that will be the only way to pressure china to stop what they are doing
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2008 12:29 AM »

As salaamu alaikum

What I don't get if if the global struggle is for human rights, and China is guilty of human rights violations, how did the country make it through the selection process to even host the games and further why is any nation even going?  Now of course I am painfully aware of at least a partial answer; it's all about money.  China is a trading ally (despite the current problems with products coming from there), the corporate sponsors would lose millions and the athletes would lose millions in endorsement deals.

No price should ever be placed on human life nor human rights.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2008 08:49 AM »

salam

I'm sorry, but the thought of Mr Bush being concerned about human rights....that's the funniest thing I have ever read in my life.................

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Halima
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2008 02:47 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

What I don't get if if the global struggle is for human rights, and China is guilty of human rights violations, how did the country make it through the selection process to even host the games and further why is any nation even going?  Now of course I am painfully aware of at least a partial answer; it's all about money.  China is a trading ally (despite the current problems with products coming from there), the corporate sponsors would lose millions and the athletes would lose millions in endorsement deals.

No price should ever be placed on human life nor human rights.

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah

Well said sis Faizah!  Didn't Tibet and its issues exist when China was being selected?  Talk of double standards!

salam

I'm sorry, but the thought of Mr Bush being concerned about human rights....that's the funniest thing I have ever read in my life.................

Wassalaam

Yeah right!  This is exactly what Aamir was saying.  If we are to judge any country or learder by Human Rights standards, then there will be a few places to hold such games, if any.

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2008 10:55 AM »

Another Khan shrugging off the controversy!  I wonder if you will be accused of being a Muslim even after giving his reason.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Saif: the torch bearer
It's good that the Tibet cause is highlighted: Saif Ali Khan

Indo-Asian News Service
New Delhi, April 17, 2008

Shrugging off controversy over being part of the Olympic torch rally as brand ambassador for the Lenovo group, Bollywood star Saif Ali Khan says while he favours the Tibetan cause, the world of sports and politics should ideally be kept apart.

"My reasons for running are to honour my commitments as brand ambassador for the Lenovo group, one of the sponsors of the Olympics," said Saif, who is among those carrying the torch on Thursday in the capital.

"Maybe I'm being idealistic. But we have issues with Pakistan over Kashmir, and we still play cricket with them. It's good that the cause of Tibet is highlighted, but in a perfect world sport and politics would remain separate. The Dalai Lama himself has said he is supporting the Olympics."

A number of the country's celebrities from sports and films, including Saif's sister Soha Ali Khan, have pulled out of the Indian leg of the globe trotting ritual.

"It's a personal issue. My sister, for example, is not supporting this and I respect her decision."

After last year's health scare when Saif was admitted to hospital with chest pains, the performer is making an effort to stay fit.

"It was almost a heart attack, caused by exertion from dancing," Saif asserted. "I used to smoke a lot, but then quit," added the actor who impressed in his recent release Race.

He also puts down his newfound healthy living to "a bit of Kareena Kapoor's influence".

And how has the "Race" star been staying in shape before the relay?

"I did about 45 minutes on the treadmill, running between 6 and 9 km an hour."

With two thumbs up, the actor signs off by giving his support to the Indian competitors at the 2008 Summer Olympics, "I'd like to wish all of our sports stars all the best."

(Steven Baker is the Editor of Indian Cinema International. He can be contacted at stevenbaker@hotmail.com)

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Redir.aspx?ID=e9b47725-75ac-4776-ba7a-5c1870769628

The Almighty Allah says,

a_desert_rose
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
a_desert_rose has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2008 08:45 AM »

Sorry, but from my view of things the worlds of politics and sport are not apart in India vs Pakistan cricket matches.

Wassalam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: