Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

A dua on both your houses.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Makar Sankranti. Uttarayana  (Read 584 times)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« on: Sep 19, 2012 09:17 PM »

Do Muslims of India also celebrate this festival. Is this of any religious significance or just something cultural? Is it celebrated in Muslim majority areas like Hyderabad too ?

The kite flying festival was banned in Pakistan few years back, due to deaths caused by unsafe practices. If celebrated with caution it was a very fun event!

Date and significance
Sankranti is the Sanskrit word in Hindu Astrology which refers to the transmigration of the Sun from one Rāshi (sign of the zodiac) to another. Hence there are 12 such sankrantis in all. However, the Sankranti festival usually refers to Makara Sankaranti, or the transition of the Sun from Dhanu rashi (Sagittarius) to Makara rashi (Capricorn).

For this purpose, the signs and houses of the zodiac are calculated using sidereal time, not tropical. As such it does not account for the Earth's precession. The festival therefore takes place around 21 days after the winter solstice (between December 20 and 23) that marks the starting of the phenomenon of 'northward apparent migration of the sun' or Uttarayana, literally meaning northward journey of Sun.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2012 12:08 AM »

Yea it is celebrated here. Btw, hyderabad is not muslim majority, it used to be 50-50, but now I guess its more like 30-70, in the minority. Mostly coz people from other parts of India are moving here to find jobs in IT. They come here, they take our jobs.... Cheesy
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2012 08:49 AM »

Next one would be in January 2013 right? Any specific dates announced yet, or you guys already have it on calendar...

And I guess like Pakistan, you guys also use Manja and Sheesha to cut other kites ?

Seems like i'm going to India this winter Wink

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2012 10:33 AM »

Its always on the 13th,14th and 15th of January, every year. Its tied to the harvest season, so basically they celebrate it after they're done harvesting the crop.

It used to be simple manja, but now they have more advanced versions of it, like plastic wire coated with glass and God knows what else.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2012 01:22 PM »

Yeah the plastic string with manja and sheesha is what got it banned in Pakistan.

In the old days I used to celebrate the Kite Flying Festival (Basant) as if it was my Walima.

There is no fun left in life except for driving fast, visiting northern areas once or twice a year, and occasional flood light cricket. I really need to celebrate one Basant Festival before I die!!

akhan
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2012 02:27 PM »

Its a hindu festival so no matter what, it won't get banned here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: