// Why aren't there more Hafiz in the Arab world?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.” Martin Luther King, Jr. quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why aren't there more Hafiz in the Arab world?  (Read 1450 times)
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« on: Sep 20, 2012 07:39 PM »

Ok this is a dumb question to native arabic speakers.

Why haven't most older Arabs memorized the whole of the Quran?

When I was high school I was so massively jealous of Arabs because memorization of the quran was so easy for them.  It still bothers me, as I still have a long, long way to go. 

It seems like the most basic thing in Arabic schooling, so why?  The language is not a problem, so memorizing half or at least a 1/3 should be like child's play.

What am  I missing?
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2012 10:06 PM »

Many Arabs have memorized the whole Quran!! In most families you will always find at least one Hafiz. And usually if a father is a Hafiz, the son is as well. And among desis believe it or not you will find Huffaz. They just don't go around telling people.

Memorization might be easier when you know Arabic but it's still difficult and definitely an accomplishment. I will say that for Arabs memorization of Quran is very important, and they don't go by Surahs but by Juzz!! Their kids haven't made a start until they've memorized the first Juzz you know Smiley
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2012 10:20 PM »

I somehow doubt that. Or maybe you are thinking each family has like 20 people.

My experience has always been that there are far more Asian people who are hafiz and then Arab because it's a bigger deal to Asians. 

Barr
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2012 05:02 PM »

Assalamualaikum,

I am assuming Asian means people from the sub-continent?

I don't think there are necessarily more huffaz from that region reasons being:

- The Arab world expands from the north Africa (maghribi region + Libya + Egypt + Sudan) to the Shams ( Syrian, Lebanon, Palestine etc), the Arab peninsula. Just by that size alone, there would be more people who have memorised the Quran.

- From what I was told by a fellow Libyan friend, about 1 in 5 people in Libya is a hafiz.

- There would be more who only have memorised 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 of the Quran. Having 3 juz memorised is quite common. Allahualam.

Barr
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
Barr has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2012 05:10 PM »

An afterthought:

The Quran is a miracle from Allah and it resides in hearts that are pure. Just because one does not understand Arabic, and hence theoretically it would be harder for him to memorise the Quran, but if one has a will, Allah would make a way for him and I believe, the more one practises to memorise the Quran, the easier it would get, even with a non-Arabic tounge. Allahualam.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: