Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

To biryani, or not to biryani.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Loss of Identity  (Read 1275 times)
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 79
Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« on: Sep 30, 2012 05:39 PM »

Salam,

http://www.alhabibali.com/infocus_details/ln/en/infocusid/7

I found this extremely interesting, especially as I am alone for the first time in a massively diverse environment with people of all kinds of different beliefs. How do you interact with others who you may admire greatly, without losing yourself or changing your beliefs?

Any past experiences or comments you'd like to share?
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2012 04:49 PM »

Wsalam,

I think anyone living in a diverse environment needs to be open and friendly, but it has to be a give and take. You share your beliefs and they share theirs, but each respects the others' choices. And then you just have to limit your interaction with those you find negative towards you and your beliefs. If you find yourself hanging out with certain people (muslim or non-muslim) that makes your iman go down you need to stop.

I find the difference between Muslims in different countries very interesting. Some interact a lot and have best friends that are non-Muslims, inter-marry, even going so far as to some end up changing their names and doing everything everyone else does, losing their Islam etc. (ie US, France) And in some places Muslims totally live their own lives in their own minority circle (ie India, UK). So I think there needs to be a balance between these two extremes.

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2012 08:25 PM »

I don't think the UK we spend our lives in our own little circles.

A lot of my closest friends are non muslim, nobody has ever said anything negative to me about my religion, we rub along well.

My best friends tho are Muslim, I need the anchor and the reminders and the good company.

I dont give people who think I should behave in a manner they feel is correct much time. I know whats right and whats wrong and go from there.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
austmuslimah
Sis

Reputation Power: 10
austmuslimah has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2012 06:47 AM »

As a girl who has spent 5 years in university and now 2 years working, I can say for sure that this is a great challenge.  What I find works for me personally, is to maintain a strong sense of who I am and what I believe. The majority of people I work with and interact with are non-muslim. I am good friends with most of them. I find, that no matter what, while dealing with muslims or non muslims, you will find people who are on the same wavelength as you and those who are not. Always assimilate the good, and leave off anything you dont like. No matter what, human beings evolve so its not possible to stay stagnant and not change. Change can be good, so dont try to avoid it.

Most of the colleagues and friends I have know all about praying, fasting, Hajj, both Eids, and a lot of them attempt to fast along with me, and make sure that we always have vegetarian during staff meetings and that alcohol is not brought to work dinners.

I think you will be just fine, as long as you stay close to your imaan and pray for guidance. Dont be afraid of losing youself, all of life's experiences add up to mould us into who we are.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: