// Debate last night? aka Voting US Election 2012
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Debate last night? aka Voting US Election 2012  (Read 4572 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Oct 04, 2012 04:36 PM »

Anyone watch the debate last night? What'd u guys think? I really don't know who to vote for, I'm thinking no one.   erm

=========================================

http://www.onislam.net/english/politics/americas/459319-us-muslims-for-civil-liberties-not-obama-romney.html
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2012 06:47 PM »

I really don't know who to vote for, I'm thinking no one.   erm
Although I'm not american, I share the same sentiment with regards to politicians in any country. Every single one of them is pretty much worthless. I'm sure my garbage collector would do a better job than a politician. puke
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2012 07:27 PM »

Anyone watch the debate last night? What'd u guys think? I really don't know who to vote for, I'm thinking no one.   erm

=========================================

http://www.onislam.net/english/politics/americas/459319-us-muslims-for-civil-liberties-not-obama-romney.html

how can you not want to vote for obama?  

i didn't watch the debate.  i mean what's the point?  voting republican is not even an option.

you really have no idea how bad politicians can be.  i mean in bangladesh they shut down google services so that my google mail doesn't work (attachements problem) and my website doesn't work, so i had to waste 4 hours today to go somewhere, because i couldn't cancel because google sites dont work.

and i haven't even begun to start talking about the real stuff -- like the people who killed a village of buddhists last week in bangladesh.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2012 08:22 PM »

noooooooo VOTE always VOTE, it's our hard won right and the only thing that gives us power to change our own lives.

Vote and get friends and family to vote too.....

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
lucid
Bro

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2012 08:58 PM »

I really don't know who to vote for, I'm thinking no one.   erm
Although I'm not american, I share the same sentiment with regards to politicians in any country. Every single one of them is pretty much worthless. I'm sure my garbage collector would do a better job than a politician. puke

is it true that sonia gandhi is worth $18B?

somebody told me this recently, and my jaw dropped.  (i haven't managed to pick it up yet).
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2012 10:01 PM »

I watched with Amma as I worked out (Amma wanted to watch it more). Aunty, don't get mad, but I think you said the same to me, but I had decided not to vote after the NDAA passed (the detention act). There has been this strongly-worded article circulating: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/09/why-i-refuse-to-vote-for-barack-obama/262861/

I've gotten a bit of flack from two American Muslim women that I respect and am "buddies" with on Twitter, CAIR-San Francisco rep Zahra Billoo and liberal Iranian American, Fatemeh Fakhraie (who is based here in Oregon). Sr. Zahra is voting for a 3rd party (green party) and Fatemeh said that while she respects my decision not to vote, she doesn't agree with it. The two party system is the problem. Not that I know how to solve it. Also, there is the lesser of two evils argument, but I know most both Muslims and non-Muslim alike are turned off by the drones and other issues that have crossed the line and I think we've discussed about how Obama has gone even further than Bush, and that's saying something when it comes to FP.

Yet, I do think Obama is better for America, again, only two options. Obama didn't do well at all during the debate and most analysts are saying Romney won it outright but it's the voting that counts. My Abba once also did protest vote thing and voted for Ralph Nader (he got 5% of the total vote and probably damaged the Democrats chances in some states).

Anyways, I'll be leaving home next week for 3 months and am not bothered to get a absentee ballot, though I'll still be in the country.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2012 10:55 PM »

A wise person once told me, if you dont vote, don't complain with what you end up with.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2012 11:24 PM »

Lucid I won't be surprised if it turns out she's worth $180B! That's the only thing politicians can do - plunder!
Riat8883
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 25
Riat8883 barely matters :(Riat8883 barely matters :(

« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2012 04:31 PM »

I've never vote(presidential polls) in my life and am not planning to do so in the near future. You vote for someone and all they think is how they will live their lives when they are no longer in power. If you feel voting is a right you want to exercise go for it sister. But me, nope!
Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 23
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2012 06:18 PM »

I'm definitely voting for Obama, in the debate he didn't even mention the 47 percent comment because he's gentleman. It was his 20th anniversary by the way.

To not vote is not only detrimental to that individual, but also to the society at large. So vote people even if you have to vote for the lesser of the two evil insha'Allah.

"Do not treat people with contempt, nor walk insolently on the earth. Allah does not love the arrogant or the self-conceited boaster. Be modest in your bearing and subdue your voice, for the most unpleasant of voices is the braying of the ass." [The Holy Qur'an, Surah Luqman - 31:18-19]
akhan
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2012 06:31 PM »

Auntyji, in India we get the same thing regardless of whether we vote or not. But last time and even in future, I took and will take the "lesser of the two evils" route, because the major opposition to the current ruling party is extreme right wing. And hindus with swords implies dead muslims. Although, I might give up voting if all the major parties decide to become radically anti muslim all of a sudden.
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2012 08:25 PM »

I don't know if any country can surpass the level of corruption associated with the entire voting process that we have in India.Few contesting parties in our country go to the length of bribing poor people (who are many in number) with meager amount of money to lure them into voting for them.And there are instances of goons controlling polling stations, forcing people to vote for a particular party, eliciting violence and tampering with  ballot boxes.

But people of  bigger cities and places with stringent security and discipline (thankfully many) do have a fair opportunity to vote that is truly valued.
And  yes,there is always this "voting for lesser of the two evils" that has to be done.
lucid
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2012 09:12 AM »

I've never vote(presidential polls) in my life and am not planning to do so in the near future. You vote for someone and all they think is how they will live their lives when they are no longer in power. If you feel voting is a right you want to exercise go for it sister. But me, nope!

That's silly.  People in Syria are being massacred simply because of their desire to vote. 

Voting will not lead to honest people in power but it sets a maximum limit of devilishness in the people running government.  In autocracies the amount of devilishness is unbounded.
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2012 10:34 AM »

We should vote. I was moving house & I didn't vote during last general election in UK. Thankfully I didn't, cos I was against Labour & Tories.. Their manifestos seemed the same to me, but if I had voted at the time, I would've voted Liberal Democrats. Alhamdulillah, blessing in disguise I wasn't able to vote & The Tories & Lib Dems set up a coalition government. If HAD voted Lib Dem, I would've been seething at the thought of them joining ranks with the Tories.

Now, when next election comes round.. I think I will be voting lesser of the 2 evils or the Greeen Party. Probably.

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2012 03:24 PM »

In the last UK general election, none of my family voted because my dad ticked some boxes on a form by mistake which meant we weren't registered.  It was such an odd feeling not voting.  Like I definitely felt the absence of it, of not getting my say in who should be in government. 

I think it's important to vote especially in America.  Whoever runs the country effects the whole world in terms of foreign policy so pls get it right exercise your right to vote!

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2012 03:52 AM »

I think Obama redeemed himself a little in tonight's debate. People remember why they voted for him I think. Although I felt like he was really on the defense more in the beginning then turned up the offense, could be a good strategy....

orangetree good point.... although Obama's foreign policy hasn't been great ie drones, gitmo, wars etc, but at least he hasn't started more wars??

as an aside this went up almost immediately. lol http://bindersfullofwomen.tumblr.com/
Hard2Hit
Bro

Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2012 01:02 PM »

A.A.

You know what makes these debates suck ? Its the things they "do not" debate about...

These debates are just tricks if you ask me - tricks to give people an illusion of choice while they have none in fact! There you have two guys debating over what 10% of their differences? And obviously no talk about 90% of the things they would agree on because thats what the "establishment" would do regardless of who wins from the two. But people watch it like a match, rooting for their candidates.

I wonder why don't American Muslims vote for Ron Paul ? Just because they "think" that every vote for Ron means one less vote for Obama, and hence would get Romney in lead. So what? Just do the right thing regardless of the result. Voting is a right and should be exercised, but doing the sort of math people are doing is pointless. Remember the story of Abrahim, when a Sparrow tried to put out the fire by carrying drops of water in her beak? It teaches us to do the right thing no matter what chances of success there might be... If everyone who in principle agrees with Ron Paul, actually votes for him, this would make Ron stronger and Obama and Romney all the more weaker. And if not in this election, Ron could be successful in the next... who knows!

In Pakistan we have hope in Imran Khan and PTI. We have a real choice now after 15 years of struggle. The Muslim League and People's Party, as the only two big parties have been involved in corruption and working against the interest of Pakistanis. It took 15 years for another big party to emerge and challenge the corrupt system. So people like Ron Paul can also get in power if Americans keep backing them.

-me

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2012 05:15 PM »

I wonder why don't American Muslims vote for Ron Paul ? Just because they "think" that every vote for Ron means one less vote for Obama, and hence would get Romney in lead. So what? Just do the right thing regardless of the result. Voting is a right and should be exercised, but doing the sort of math people are doing is pointless. Remember the story of Abrahim, when a Sparrow tried to put out the fire by carrying drops of water in her beak? It teaches us to do the right thing no matter what chances of success are there... If everyone who in principle agrees with Ron Paul, actually votes for him, this would make Ron stronger and Obama and Romney all the more weaker. And if not in this election, Ron could be successful in the next... who knows!

Preach it, Brother! Grin

Keep in mind it's not just Obama supporters that want to vote for Ron Paul.  There are a LOT of Republicans that are fed up with the Republican party!  Unfortunately, Ron Paul isn't running.  I've heard that many people want to write his name in.  But the state I'm in doesn't allow write-ins. 

But if you're an American who is fed up with the two party system and the two *ahem* gentlemen that represent it,
THEN PLEASE VOTE THIRD PARTY!!

It doesn't matter whether they win or not.  You'd be sending a message.  You'd be voting your conscience. 
For those who are interested, Gary Johnson is apparently on the ballot in all 50 states.  He's on the Libertarian Ticket.  His views are very similar to Ron Paul's.

Of course with Romney's family buying many of the voting machines (http://news.yahoo.com/romney-family-investment-ties-voting-machine-company-could-003209723.html), you gotta wonder if our votes count at all...

Welcome to the Banana Republic of the United States of America... Sad
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2012 01:20 AM »

It is always wise to vote rather than not vote. Every single vote counts. Rather than sit on the fence, choose one and vote.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2012 01:56 AM »

I heard the third party are a good alternative-we're seeing the Green Party debate tonight live.
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2012 05:50 PM »

There are other options besides Tweedledum and Tweedledee:

US Third Party Presidential Debate (Moderated by Larry King)
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2012 10:09 PM »

I watched the final debate - Obama again outperformed Romeny and I also have to update from what I said above - before I left home for Georgia (where I am currently, Romeny country of course - hello Bible belt for the second time this year for me), I picked up a ballot....AND.....I voted.....for my fellow DOCTOR - Jill Stein. Yup. I did. Go ahead and get angry lool, but though Oregon has a lot of conservatives, Dems usually end up carrying the state, and it's not one of the swing states, though it could be closer this year, not sure.

So yeah, I voted 3rd party. You should vote Sis J - i didn't want to as I said, but one does feel left out as has been stated above.

Anyways, that is it from me.

Peace out y'all!  doctor
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2012 04:15 AM »

Salam,

I'd like to vote, but in the process of moving countries so really busy!! I dunno if I'm registered even. Last time I voted: 4 years ago!!!

I overheard a looot of people talking about the debates while traveling recently. These train conductor/window guys were having like a HUGE riotious discussion about it. It was very fascinating. And views are definitely not made up!! I have a feeling a lot of people will be in the voting booth deciding then and there!!
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #23 on: Oct 26, 2012 03:09 AM »

That's understandable Sis J - you've been busy with personal stuff and the moving.  yeah, seems like there a lot of undecided voters even now.

BABA
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2012 05:38 PM »

I can't just not vote people!! It's giving me the itchies... going out in a lil while!! It is FREEZING here hope there are no lines!! I noticed they closed the closer polling station to me Sad Sad
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: