// Food Preservatives
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Knowledge is not what is memorised. Knowledge is what benefits. - Imam Shafi'
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Food Preservatives  (Read 748 times)
Chaajo
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Chaajo has no influence :(

« on: Oct 23, 2012 10:00 PM »

Salam alaikum. Smiley
Hey everyone.
I need to know something and it's important: what do you do with foods that are preserved with alcohol?
And sometimes I have no clue what alcohol they might be using especially in Japanese products.
If such foods can't be included in the halal list, is it possible to get rid of the alcohol without spoiling the food then? Sad

The secret for harvesting from existence the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment is — to live dangerously!
~ Friedrich Nietzsche ~
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2012 05:35 AM »

Wsalam,

Can you give us an example of a food like that? Trying to think what is preserved in alcohol? Surely there's an alternative?
Chaajo
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Chaajo has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2012 02:27 PM »

Miso soup for instant.

The secret for harvesting from existence the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment is — to live dangerously!
~ Friedrich Nietzsche ~
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2012 04:30 AM »

Hmm from what I understand Miso soup is made with alcohol. It's one of the main ingredients! Not sure what you mean by "preserved by"? If you're making Miso soup yourself you might examine the ingredients and try to find a replacement for the alcohol like apple vinegar or something!
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2012 10:19 AM »

I've seen lots of different recipes for miso soup, some have a tbs of rice wine, you could skip it altogether or substitute it for vinegar or something.

I had a list of all the halal substitutes for cooking wines, I'll go find it and post it.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2012 10:21 AM »

found it. A food blog I read linked to it;

http://www.theartofhalalfood.com/2009/11/hi-all-brothers-and-sisters-this-is-our.html

Amaretto - Almond extract. (Substitute 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon almond extract for 2 tablespoons Amaretto)

Anisette - Anise Italian soda syrup or fennel.

Beer - Chicken broth, beef broth, mushroom broth, white grape juice, ginger ale.

Bourbon - 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of non-alcoholic vanilla extract.

Brandy - Water, white grape juice, apple cider or apple juice, diluted peach or apricot syrups. (Substitute equal amounts of liquid)

Champagne - Ginger ale, sparkling apple cider, sparkling cranberry juice, or sparkling white grape juice.

Cointreau - Orange juice or frozen orange juice concentrate.

Coffee Liqueur - To replace 2 tablespoons of liqueur, use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of chocolate extract mixed with 1 teaspoon of instant coffee, which has been mixed in 2 tablespoons of water. Can also substitute expresso, non-alcoholic coffee extract or coffee syrup.

Cognac - Juice from peaches, apricots, or pears.

Creme de menthe - Spearmint extract or oil of spearmint diluted with a little water or grapefruit juice.

Grand Marnier or Orange-Flavored Liqueur - Unsweetened orange juice concentrate or orange juice. (Substitute 2 tablespoons unsweetened orange juice concentrate or 2 tablespoons orange juice and 1/2 teaspoon orange extract for 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier)

Kahlua - Coffee or chocolate-flavored liqueur. (Substitute 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chocolate extract or substitute 1/2 to 1 teaspoon instant coffee in 2 tablespoons water for 2 tablespoons Kahlua)

Kirsch - Syrup or juices from cherries, raspberries, boysenberries, currants, or cider. (Substitute equal amounts of liquid.

Peppermint Schnapps - Non-alcoholic mint or peppermint extract, mint Italian soda syrup, or mint leaves.

Port Wine, Sweet Sherry, or Fruit-Flavored Liqueur) - Orange juice or apple juice. (Substitute equal amount of liquid.

Rum (light or dark) - Water, white grape juice, pineapple juice, apple juice or apple cider, or syrup flavored with almond extract. (Substitute equal amounts of liquid)

Sake - Rice vinegar.

Sherry or Bourbon - Orange or pineapple juices, peach syrup, or non-alcoholic vanilla extract. (Substitute equal amount of liquid 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)

Southern Comfort - Peach flavored nectar combined with a small amount of cider vinegar.

Tequila - Cactus juice or nectar.

Triple Sec - Orange juice concentrate, orange juice, orange zest or orange marmalade.

Vermouth, Dry - White grape juice, white wine vinegar, or non-alcoholic white wine.

Vermouth, Sweet - Apple juice, grape juice, balsamic vinegar, non-alcoholic sweet wine, or water with lemon juice.

Whiskey - If a small amount is called for, it can be eliminated.

Vodka - White grape juice or apple cider combined with lime juice or use plain water in place of the vodka.

Mirin: Lemon juice diluted with water

Substituent for wines:

Gewurztraminer - White grape juice combined with lemon juice.

Grappa - Grape juice.

Port Wine - Concord grape juice with some lime zest added, cranberry juice with some lemon juice added, or grape juice concentrate. Substitute orange juice or apple juice for lighter ports

Red Wine - Red grape juice, cranberry juice, chicken broth, beef broth, vegetable broth, clam juice, fruit juices, flavored vinegar. (Substitute equal amount of liquid)

White Wine - Water, chicken broth, vegetable broth, white grape juice, ginger ale, white grape juice.

Sweet White Wine - White grape juice plus 1 tablespoons corn syrup. (Substitute equal amount of liquid)

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2012 04:03 PM »

I'm looking at the miso that they sell on Amazon.  There is no alcohol listed in the ingredients.   Huh?
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2012 04:26 PM »

I think the instant stuff has dfferent ingredients in it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: