Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Double, double toil and tazkiyah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Poetry and Reading  (Read 687 times)
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« on: Oct 12, 2012 04:43 PM »

Assalamualaikum!

So I used to be a huge bookworm, you never caught me with my nose out of a book! But in the past few years my reading went down astonishingly as I kicked my antisocial habits and started having friends/talking with people. But I still love reading, and define myself through this hobby. So when I got to my new school....WOW. People here are so well read I feel almost embarrassed!

I would like to find time for reading again, especially if I could try some poetry. I've always wanted to explore and understand poetry more, but I never had the chance. Do any of you guys have any recommendations?

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2012 06:05 AM »

Wsalam,

I'd recommend just heading over to your library or bookstore and browsing the poetry section. See what interests you and what you like.

Honestly I will say it is very hard to understand poetry (and that does definitely include myself most of the time!) It takes a lot of reading not just of the poems themselves but of the backgrounds of the authors, their life biographies, themes and a study of the different genres of poetry itself.

I'd suggest maybe getting an anthology first of a type of poetry you like... ie American poetry, modern poetry, Spanish poetry, English poets etc some will have commentaries that will help in understanding the poems as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: