Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Apr 17, 2014 07:43 AM

News:

A rakah a rakah! My kingdom for a rakah!'

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Recommend me some kindle books please  (Read 815 times)
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« on: Dec 19, 2012 07:49 PM »

salam

Title says it all, I've got a kindle I need books now, I'd prefer Islamic books but other book recommnedations are also welcome (providing they have happy endings, I don't do sad endings).

Jazakallah

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 79
Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2012 09:08 PM »

Wheeee lovely! Mubarak, I'm planning to buy my mom a kindle as a present!

I have the app on my computer - try going to the "Free Collections" and downloading the classics.

I just finished "Northanger Abbey". There's all the Austens, you can get a couple of Agatha Christie, there's the full Sherlock Holmes collection, all the "What Katy Did" books...take a scroll through and I'm sure you'll pick up a good few!

http://www.amazon.com/s/?node=2245146011
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2012 09:37 PM »

oh wow jazakallah sis.

We're going to my mums over the winter break, my girls now have no reason to tell me they are bored! lol

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2012 02:28 AM »

We're going to my mums over the winter break, my girls now have no reason to tell me they are bored! lol

What happened to good ol soap operas?
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2012 07:05 AM »

I watched shehr e zaat, that is my quota for this decade filled.

I don't really watch soap operas, I do not have the patience.

Don't really watch movies either far too long to be sitting still for that length of time.

Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2012 01:50 PM »

salaams going to watch this over the christmas break.....

mmm kindle books... i have comfort books like the classics Austin / Bronte's / Georgette Heyer and then I really like anything that isn't realistic at all as i use it as an escape from the real world so Sci Fi or Fantasy ( Anne McCaffrey - Dragon series or Terry Pratchett)...

the first court-room drama i read was John Grisham's the Rainmaker also v good

the other think i would do is if you go to kindle store and just have a glance through the free books all sorted by category so you can pick something that will interest you.

xxx
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2012 05:59 PM »

I've found lots of children's books.

I've downloaded the Quran in English

Jane Austen

Sherlock Holmes complete collection

I'm going to keep looking.

This is fun!

I highly recommend a kindle for travelling with your entire library. But I still prefer real books.

Nature
Sis

Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2012 06:33 PM »

There's lots of poetry collections if you're into that - Robert Frost, Walt Whitman, Coleridge....

Children's books that rock - Anne of Green Gables, Tom Sawyer, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, the Swiss Family Robinson, Treasure Island, What Katy Did and What Katy Did at School, the Silver Skates, Black Beauty, Heidi, the Secret Garden, A Little Princess, Little Lord Fauntleroy, Five Children and It (ANYTHING by E Nesbit) , the Wonderful Wizard of Oz (in fact the entire Oz series is brilliant), Pollyanna, the Story of Doctor Dolittle (and the sequels, by Hugh Lofting).

Just look through this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_children's_classic_books

Not sure how old your girls are but I loved "Little Women" when I was about 12.

Sorry if I got over-involved, lots of memories for me in reading these titles again!
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2012 09:17 PM »

But little women is sad. I remember being utterly traumatised. And Jo doesn't marry who I wanted her to marry.... :'(

Nature
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2012 09:39 PM »

But little women is sad. I remember being utterly traumatised. And Jo doesn't marry who I wanted her to marry.... :'(

Really??? I remember now that I cried at one point but it was good tears! And I was so happy that Jo didn't marry Laurie! (Didn't that happen in the later books though? I'm talking about the very first book, that ends with Meg's engagement. I didn't really like the other three.)

You probly haven't read American children's books, I accidentally began reading "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" when I was seven and I remain traumatized years later!
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2012 09:48 PM »

we studied roll of thunder hear my cry at school.... I remember it far too well..........yep still traumatised also

Beth dies, I'm not reading it again.... not sure I can allow my girls too either. My youngest cried watching 'the little princess' the BBC version was so beautifully made and true to the book.

Nature
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2012 09:57 PM »

we studied roll of thunder hear my cry at school.... I remember it far too well..........yep still traumatised also

Beth dies, I'm not reading it again.... not sure I can allow my girls too either. My youngest cried watching 'the little princess' the BBC version was so beautifully made and true to the book.

Yeah, Beth didn't die in the first book - that's the one I liked, it ends with everything happy and hunky-dory and a warm feeling in your heart as you leave the family sitting together round the fire, reunited with Father.

"A Little Princess" was my entire childhood! I watched and wept over the cartoon dub in Arabic, and I still have the book.

I don't mind death in a book, but I mind graphic descriptions of violence/beatings etc. I can't stomach them, it's horrible.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2012 11:57 AM »

My library in NY has online kindle books that you can "borrow". It's great, you just login with your library card and you can "take out" all kinds of ebooks that you want to read and then it just automatically returns them. I did notice that a number of them are in KINDLE format so check it out at your library iA!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: