// 4 Reasons Why Muslims Should not Celebrate New Year’s
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Nature: The Prophet said: 'If a Muslim plants a seedling or cultivates a field, whenever a bird a human or an animal eats of it, it will be counted as a charity for him.' (Sahîh Muslim)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 Reasons Why Muslims Should not Celebrate New Year’s  (Read 595 times)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« on: Dec 31, 2012 11:42 AM »

A.A.

Thoughts?

"
Every year, a large number of Muslims get into the festive spirit and celebrate New Year's day. Whether it's Facebook status updates, Twitter messages or even holding New Years eve parties – many Muslims (especially, but not exclusively in the West) go the whole 9 yards when it comes to ringing in the New Year. But is this a harmless innovation or the first step on a slippery slope?

I believe that it is the latter. Here are 4 reasons why Muslims should NOT celebrate New Years:

4. It is technically inaccurate – & pagan
More here:
http://muslimmatters.org/2012/12/28/4-reasons-why-muslims-should-not-celebrate-new-years/

3. What exactly is there to celebrate?

2. It usually involves un-Islamic practices

1. It is against the spirit of Islam
"

http://muslimmatters.org/2012/12/28/4-reasons-why-muslims-should-not-celebrate-new-years/

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2012 11:53 PM »

Ws,

I seriously feel like there are more important things facing the ummah and generally the world right now.
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 78
Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2013 02:51 AM »

Here was a pretty good comment at the end which I think sums things up:

"Saying New Year’s is wrong to celebrate is like saying birthdays or anniversaries are haram. It’s such a controversial and argued topic, you’re just opening a can of worms. I think both arguments are valid and it’s just making a big deal out of nothing… we have more important issues to discuss, or learn from."
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2013 07:36 AM »

A.A

Ws,

I seriously feel like there are more important things facing the ummah and generally the world right now.

True. And this was one of his points actually - When there are bigger issues at hand, then whats there to celebrate...

I take birthdays and anniversaries as worldly acts, not part of religion. But the Gregorian new year has an obvious religious significance to it.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2013 02:22 PM »

I don't know many muslims who actively celebrate new years day.

However if someone tells me happy new year, it is polite to say it back, saying 'happy holidays' does not work as there's no holiday.

I don't sweat it, I reply back and never instigate it.

I can't live in the UK and go all hysterical when wished a happy new year. Life would be untenable and Muslims would appear nuts (and we got enough of that without my help).

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2013 04:52 PM »

True. And this was one of his points actually - When there are bigger issues at hand, then whats there to celebrate...

I take birthdays and anniversaries as worldly acts, not part of religion. But the Gregorian new year has an obvious religious significance to it.

You know what the major problem in the ummah is... it's that people care more about other people's islam than their own. Ppl need to fix their own selves first, before they start setting fire to McDs in Karachi.
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2013 03:32 AM »

You know what the major problem in the ummah is... it's that people care more about other people's islam than their own.

You are little off the point here sister Jannah. The topic may not be necessary but you shouldn't have generalize. Yes the best Jihad is that of oneself and it's the primary, but we can't wait until we are pure before reminding others.

Wassalam

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2013 08:46 AM »

Ws,

We don't have to be pure or perfect ourselves before reminding others bro, u are right. But this an opinion piece, not written by an Islamic scholar nor in a scholarly way. We don't even know what he's saying is wrong here. He says of course not outright things. So If not drinking and going to parties then what exactly? Saying happy new year? Watching the ball drop?  Where's ones's evidence when there are big fatwas allowing us to wish others happy holidays and the giving of gifts. It's just not good naseeha or dawah.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2013 09:48 AM »

Of course! There is nothing wrong in greeting back with Happy holidays or even praying for others to have a happy and prosperous new year.

The point was the celebration of New Year in itself. And its also not about worrying about other's islam only, as its not mutually exclusive to worrying about our own deen/self.

Its simply Amr' bil ma'roof wa nahi un al munkir ? Or simply sharing what you think is good or asking your fellows to avoid bad. But the analogy of burning down buildings is a little off here, don't you think...

sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2013 01:04 PM »

The good news is we are all in agreement on not partaking in the innovative events that occur during these festivities. Debating other minor things are not necessary. Lets remain one community  madinans drinking  bebzi together.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013 04:11 PM »

wsalam,

People do not know any of the conditions or responsibilities "Amr' bil ma'roof wa nahi un al munkir" nor what it means. See actions of people in present day Pakistan & other places...
Militants Gun Down 7 Aid Workers in Pakistan http://nyti.ms/10JguOY

It's actually an important conversation our scholars should be having with the lay ppl.

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2013 04:21 PM »

There've been lots of discussion about this going on f/b via the muslim speakers page and the Dr Bilal Philips page. I will not pretend to understand the intricacies of it.

I take it as I do not participate in worship during the new years festivities (on the other hand who does frankly!).

I will reciprocate wishes for the new year if someone offers them to me first, because that is polite.

Frankly I could have done without the mad fireworks and new years messages at midnight as I had a migraine!

It's a marker, as in yeay, I got thro that year and didnt kill anyone Roll Eyes

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2013 07:51 PM »

A.A.

Sis J, it really beats me how we can not discuss things of minor to medium importance when there are major issues facing us.

Yes, there are major problems at hand. Lack of Education, Lack of Wisdom, Lack of Tolerance, Lack of Compassion, Lack of Honesty and so on... But why can't we worry about them while also worrying about other medium to minor category issues. I mean its like discouraging a person for following Sunnah if s/he is skipping some Fard.

When you say "Militants Gun Down 7 Aid Workers in Pakistan" just after saying "People do not know any of the conditions or responsibilities "Amr' bil ma'roof wa nahi un al munkir" nor what it means" - Then you seem to be equating all people with militants and with those who burn down buildings. And it's tantamount to saying there aren't 'any' people who know How To's of Amr' bil ma'roof wa nahi un al munkir.

This logic is way above me. What I do get however, is that you are trying to highlight bigger issues, which I do acknowledge as major problems that must be addressed. And commoners like us can address those issues by spreading awareness and education. It's up to law enforcement agencies to 'act' as in stopping people from burning stuff and killing. Or, if there were an online forum that these dumbos frequented, I would so go there and give them some uppercut advice.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: