Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

All the world's a kabob truck.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New York and Canada  (Read 2279 times)
ruqayyah
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
ruqayyah has no influence :(

« on: Apr 30, 2008 12:27 AM »

Salams...
          Some friends and I are going to be visiting New York and Toronto/Niagra Falls next month...any advice would be welcome as have never been over the pond before! Tongue
Please recommend some good halal places to eat as I can't do without my chicken lol! What to see/not to waste our time on....what's the atmosphere with hijabis these days in NY and Toronto? Not looking forward to hours of time spent trying to cross the border into the US!

Thanks

wasalams
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2008 01:00 AM »

Salam,

Where in NY are you visiting? NYC, Buffalo? There's a big difference!! If it's just across the border of Niagara Falls I wouldn't bother! The Canadian side is nicer I hear anyway. It's like a huge hassle to cross the border especially if you're not a citizen of either country. As for hijabis I'd recommend wearing skirts/pants instead of jilbabs it's less noticeable/harrassable, but if you're a jilbabi stick to jilbabs. And if there's brothers traveling with you so much the better. Although nothing really happens it tends to just keep weirdos away from you.
ruqayyah
Sis

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2008 01:06 AM »

Hey salams....

We're doing Toronto, then Niagra Falls (Canadian side), then crossing the border to catch a flight from Buffalo into JFK...then staying near Times Square...only there for about 4.5 days (the half counts!) so wanna cram in as much as possible - no bros travelling with us and you know us girls love our shopping so plan on doing plenty of that! Kinda getting worried that we'll miss our flight if they take too long at the border as our flight is at 8am!!!

Are there asian 'areas' in NYC?

Thanks

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2008 01:10 AM »

ws,

we once had a 'muslim guide for nyc' let me see if i can dig it up...

ahhh here it is from the archives.. some of the things might be a little outdated like prices but most of it is still good:

http://www.jannah.org/madina/archives/year2001/3671.shtml
ruqayyah
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2008 01:39 AM »

Cheers, that's fab....what's the deal with zahiba and halal food in the US? I dont want zahiba  oldshaykh, i want halal halal!
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008 05:47 PM »

www.zabihah.com
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008 05:59 PM »

Cheers, that's fab....what's the deal with zahiba and halal food in the US? I dont want zahiba  oldshaykh, i want halal halal!

People use Zabihah and Halal interchangeably sometimes and they mean different things by it. In general though here in the US/NY Zabihah refers to "slaughtered by a Muslim". Halal just means "permissible" and this could mean anything. If you eat only 'slaughtered by muslim meat' I suggest you ask that up front in any restaurants you go to. Don't ask "what is halal?" cuz they'll say everything or even the ole'...'say bismillah sister everything is halal'! So just ask specifically, is this meat zabihah meaning from Muslims? and you'll be set.

Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008 06:07 PM »

Assalam alaykum,

If you're visiting Niagara falls in Canada, a good stop is a nearby town called Niagara
 on the lake. It's such a cute little historical town completely decked with flowers,
 seriously, there are flowers blooming in the road medians, gorgeous backyards and it has
 farms, vineyards, orchards. On the way to the falls, stop by at the Botanical gardens..it has
 a butterfly conservatory too http://www.travelniagara.org/d-npc-botany.html
http://www.travelniagara.org/d-att-butterfly.html

At Niagara falls, the cable car (Aero car) and the boat ride (Maid of the Mist) are
 worthwhile. These two attractions are really far apart though and in general, attractions at
 Niagara are really spaced out. Walking the entire path will leave you pretty beat so take
 advantage of the shuttle buses. If you have a car, it's a huge advantage.

Another great place to go near Niagara falls is Marine Land - dolphins, belugas,
 seals,... http://www.marinelandcanada.com/ You can't squeeze in both Niagara and marine land in
 one day though..there's just so much to see.

Buffalo is probably a better place to shop in terms of deals and selection. they have
 huge outlet malls. Many Canadians drive down to Buffalo over the long weekends to take
 advantage of the shopping there Smiley

Enjoy your trip!

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: