// Good home made chicken soup recipes?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” Martin Luther King, Jr. quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good home made chicken soup recipes?  (Read 244 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jan 18, 2013 01:26 PM »

Salam,

Looking for a good chicken soup recipe, something home made which is tried and true!! and desi-ish like mom would make!! I tried asking her but as usual she doesn't know how she makes it lol, she uses whatevers in the house with a dash of this and a dash of that!! ack

k ws Smiley
imaazh
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 17
imaazh has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2013 09:23 AM »

salam

This is a tough one, cos most good chicken soup recipes are either closely guarded family secrets or as your mum makes them - spontaneous concoctions. 

I'm more of a spontaneous chicken soup maker myself, but no matter how you make your soup or what recipe you use, a teaspoon (or more) of cumin seeds always makes your soup taste sweeter and flavoursome.  A couple of tablespoons of chopped parsley never goes astray either. 

My usual procedure to make chicken soup goes something like this:

Ingredients - The stock
1kg chicken curry pieces OR 1 whole small chicken (whatever you happen to have in the freezer)
1 medium sized onion quartered
A couple of bay leaves
1 dried chilli (if you like it spicy)
Cumin seeds 1-2 teaspoons
(Thyme is also good if you have it)
Water to cover

Method - the stock
Put all stock ingredients in a pot
Add enough water to cover the chicken
Bring to the boil
Reduce heat, cover the pot with a lid and simmer on low heat for at least 45 min to an hour (the longer the better)

When you are happy with the flavour - take it off heat and strain the liquid. This will be your stock.
With the chicken - if its already chopped up you can keep it that way or you can remove the bones and just add chopped up meat to your soup later.  This is a matter of  personal preference - some like their soup to have bones in it, some don't. 

Now you're ready to make the soup.

Ingredients - soup
1 tab butter
1tab olive oil
1 onion sliced
Vegetables of your choice - carrot, celery, beans, potato - whatever takes your fancy
A couple of tablespoons of parsley
Chicken stock + meat

Method - Fry up your onions until soft
Add all your vegetables
Cover with stock
Bring to the boil
Add the meat
Simmer for 10 15 min - or until you think the vegies are ready.  (Some like their vegies crunchy)
Season with salt/ pepper/chilli to taste

Serve with crusty bread or rice. 

This is only one of the ways I make chicken soup.  It varies from time to time depending on the reason for making it.  One time my sister needed chicken soup and she'd been to the dentist, so I pureed the meat and stock and added a bit of milk and cream to it.  Chicken soup for fevers I believe needs to be a clear soupy broth with vegies.

Other times I just throw all the ingredients into the pot, simmer the stock and add the vegies at the end.  It just depends. 

I hope that all made sense. 

Wassalaams and Good Luck!

imaazh

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2013 11:48 AM »

Jazaks Imaazh that sounds really good tho a little complicated! I wonder if I can just buy some halal maggi chicken stock and go from there?
imaazh
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 17
imaazh has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2013 02:17 PM »

Salaams,

You can absolutely use store bought stock cubes.  I use them all the time, especially when I'm short of time or just couldn't be bothered making my own.  Its quick and easy and tastes just as good.

As I said before, the recipe above is just one way to make chicken soup.  Sorry if it sounds complicated.  It doesn't need to be.  I think, I've just gotten into the habit of taking the longest route, when it comes to cooking.  Plus its summer and I'm on holidays so I'm spending more time in the kitchen.  

At present I'm going through a jelly making phase, like jelly from scratch with fruit juice and halal gelatine. Still haven't gotten it right yet.  But school is about to start  for the year and so I'll have to start cooking like a real  and sane person again - all the crazy experimenting must be put to rest.  

Hope your soup turns out the way you want it to.

take care
imaazh  

se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2013 06:37 PM »

salaam,

I found this recipe that has a nice pic if all the ingredients you'd need (pretty similar to what imaazh said, but it's nice to have a visual too and seems less daunting)

http://freckleschick.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-02-01T07%3A34%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=7

se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2013 07:05 AM »

As salaamu alaykum,

One of my friends on FB posted this recipe for Brazilian Chicken Soup. It's originally meant to be with shrimp, but you can replace the shrimp with chicken breast pieces and she said it was really good.  Sounds yummy from the ingredients! I think I'll try making it one of these days... (I think I'll use chicken stock instead of plain water as one of the comments suggested.)

Link: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/brazilian-shrimp-soup

Brazilian Shrimp Soup

SERVINGS: 4

Coconut milk's rich flavor will keep you coming back for more of this substantial soup. A true Brazilian version would include slices of okra, but ours is already so satisfyingly thick that we left it out.

2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup long-grain rice
1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree (from one 15-ounce can)
5 cups water
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, shelled and cut in half horizontally
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro

In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 10 minutes.
Add the rice, red-pepper flakes, salt, tomatoes, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until the rice is almost tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir the coconut milk into the soup. Bring back to a simmer and then stir in the shrimp. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are just done, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the black pepper, lemon juice, and parsley.

NOTES Variation Instead of the shrimp, use one pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about three), cut crosswise into quarter-inch strips. Cook for the same amount of time.

blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2013 06:50 PM »

AA

Be careful with the store brought soup packages. They usually have MSG which is dangerous for health!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: