// Make Me a Muslim on BBC3
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: I wonder where Bart is, his dinner's getting all cold... and eaten. - Homer
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Make Me a Muslim on BBC3  (Read 648 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jan 31, 2013 08:25 AM »

Salam,

Did anyone watch this last night?! What did you think of it?

I thought it was such a great program that showed a really interesting cross-section of English Muslim women converts. Real Dawah. Sometimes the beauty of Islam is shown by less practicing Muslims which is something we should always remember.

It's on iplayer for 7 days so make sure to catch it!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qfqz5

Growing numbers of young British women are converting to Islam. Shanna Bukhari, a 26-year-old Muslim from Manchester, sets out to find out why girls are giving up partying, drinking and wearing whatever they want for a religion some people associate with the oppression of women.

This warm documentary follows the highs and lows of five girls as they embrace their new faith. From adapting to a religion that allows a man to marry up to four wives to the acceptance of friends and family, it isn't always easy.
islamicsocks

Reputation Power: 10
islamicsocks has no influence :(

[Banned]

« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2013 12:42 PM »

You know I thought it was going to be rubbish. You know the "I'm a Muslim, I dress like this, so there for dressing like this is Islamic". But it wasn't. I was surprised.

I quite liked it.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2013 10:06 PM »

You know what was lovely about this, that the kindness shown by the revert sister went a long ways to pointing the presenter to the right path. alhumdulillah.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013 12:55 PM »

I liked this programme too.  It gave an interesting insight into the lives of converts and I liked the different stories of each woman.  I think there's a lot to be said for watching people pray.  Shanna, the model presenter, was moved by it.  People see that peace and tranquillity and want it. 

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2013 02:03 PM »

I found it funny, really really funny Cheesy

The part where the muslim guy was trying to find the gay guy a wife was the funniest Cheesy
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2013 02:11 PM »

akhan

Are we talking about the same program here?

I don't remember seeing any guys let alone a gay guy that wanted a male Muslim wife?
I'm sure I would have remembered that if I had seen it?
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2013 02:25 PM »

hmmm...BBC iplayer isn't available in India so I watched it on youtube. Don't know if it's the same thing.

Make Me A Muslim Part 3 of 5
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2013 03:15 PM »

Nahh completely different program.
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2013 03:19 PM »

This one was of a British born Pakistani model. Who went about asking white converts why they practice Islam while she doesn't.
In the end she sort of realises she hasn't been a good Muslim. And even though she will continue to model she said she wont do do stuff that is too revealing stuff like swimware any more.
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2013 06:25 PM »

Can you watch this link?

BBC iPlayer Make Me a Muslim 1

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2013 06:42 PM »

yup..thanks auntie Smiley
akhan
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2013 07:40 PM »

I'll watch the whole thing tomorrow but one comment - somebody needs to teach the British how to speak english lol Sophia's father was totally incomprehensible and the second convert was almost there too Tongue
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2013 08:01 PM »

They're Welsh and Glaswegian repectively. Not English, they have different languages entirely (which the scottish sis might not speak but the welsh sis almost certainly speaks welsh).

I have the worst time talking to the tax people, all tax matters regarding london are dealt with in cumbernauld, they have very broad accents, I live in constant fear of upsetting them and being slapped with a massive fine in return!

islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2013 09:01 PM »

They all spoke perfect English.
The reason why you could not understand them is you are not used to some of the accents we have here.
Welsh is another language. But no one here was speaking Welsh.
Welsh is a form of Celtic, which is the language people spoke in the British Isle before the Germans invaded and imposed English, a form of German on everybody.
You didn;t hear Welsh, what you heard was English being spoken in a Welsh accent.
I have never found that hard to understand.
But I do find some Irish accents hard to understand.
akhan
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2013 06:08 AM »

Welsh is a form of Celtic, which is the language people spoke in the British Isle before the Germans invaded and imposed English, a form of German on everybody.
English is a form of German??? And the Germans invaded Britain??? I thought colonizing was largely a British monopoly Tongue
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2013 11:22 AM »

Sophia's father was totally incomprehensible and the second convert was almost there too Tongue

Lol totally agree with you there. That's the first accent that was completely incomprehensible to me in the UK lol!!

I thought the documentary was excellent, they showed how things were and all the different women's emotions and why they converted which people desperately needed to know. Great Dawah!!
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2013 01:21 PM »

They came when the romans left.
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2013 03:36 PM »

Nice video.

But Welsh, Scottish, whatever... I need subtitles for all you Brits!   Cheesy

Seriously, when I watch a British TV show, I have to turn on the subtitles!
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2013 04:58 PM »

We all speak English. You should try learning it.
Smiley
akhan
Bro

« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2013 07:19 PM »

Can you people understand this?

If you think your English is bad, watch this video!!!
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2013 07:56 AM »

Can you watch this link?

"THIS VIDEO IS PRIVATE," it says.. Huh?

Having plenty fruits of trees? I understood only that part. Do you have them too bro Akhan? Wink

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
akhan
Bro

« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2013 08:26 AM »

Can you watch this link?

"THIS VIDEO IS PRIVATE," it says.. Huh?

tsk tsk...you should've watched it when it wasn't private Grin

I didn't find it unusual. That's what happens all the time, right? Born muslims stray away and later in life due to whatever reasons they pay more attention to the deen. And there are others who don't do it at all.

Having plenty fruits of trees? I understood only that part. Do you have them too bro Akhan? Wink

I only have a mango tree Tongue
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2013 12:19 PM »

And you know what? I saw the link the time sis Fozia posted it but it was late in the night so decided to watch in the following morning which I forgot.

Mango is nice fruit especially if transformed to juice. You can earn a lot of $$$ from it..  Wink

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2013 03:14 PM »

I don't like Mango.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2013 04:56 PM »

ok another link;

Make Me a Muslim | young British women are converting to Islam BBC full movie Documentary 2013

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: