// Hijab Day
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Efficiency: The Prophet said: 'There are two blessings that many people fail to make the most of: good health and free time.' (Sahîh Bukhârî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hijab Day  (Read 440 times)
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« on: Feb 03, 2013 06:53 AM »

Assalamu alaikum!

So at my school we will be having a 'Hijab Day' inshallah, where all the girls on campus try out wearing Islamic hijab for one day! I am, inshallah, going to take the chance to explain about hijab and the status of women in Islam. It's going to be great inshallah!!!  hijabisis purplehijabisis

However I would also like to emphasize the fact that Islam also prescribes modesty for males and not just women - I'd like to think of an alternative day for the boys, or at least something that also includes them. I was thinking of perhaps getting the boys to try fasting for a day or two? Do you guys have any ideas? Or do you think that Hijab day for me girls is enough?

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2013 01:00 PM »

Awesome mashaAllah. Makes me proud to hear that someone so young is taking such a creative approach to dawa. I'm sure you can't yet grasp this, but it may have far reaching effects that we can't see right now.

Fasting sounds good.
islamicsocks

Reputation Power: 10
islamicsocks has no influence :(

[Banned]

« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2013 02:20 PM »

How about beards?

Boys who can't grow them yet can use their mums eye pencil to draw them on.
Nature
Sis

Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2013 01:06 AM »

Awesome mashaAllah. Makes me proud to hear that someone so young is taking such a creative approach to dawa. I'm sure you can't yet grasp this, but it may have far reaching effects that we can't see right now.

Fasting sounds good.

Thank you JustOne! We're also going to be combining the Hijab Day with a girls-only evening/night that we've been arranging. I think that it will be nice to give a focus on the sisterhood aspect of Islam.
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2013 06:11 AM »

Assalamu alaikum!

So at my school we will be having a 'Hijab Day' inshallah, where all the girls on campus try out wearing Islamic hijab for one day! I am, inshallah, going to take the chance to explain about hijab and the status of women in Islam. It's going to be great inshallah!!!  hijabisis purplehijabisis

However I would also like to emphasize the fact that Islam also prescribes modesty for males and not just women - I'd like to think of an alternative day for the boys, or at least something that also includes them. I was thinking of perhaps getting the boys to try fasting for a day or two? Do you guys have any ideas? Or do you think that Hijab day for me girls is enough?

Walaikumassalaam,

Sounds good mashaAllah.I am glad that you've got opportunities to take such initiatives at your school.I hope you will make the most of this time and I am sure you will succeed in your efforts inshaAllah.

But...not very good ideas I can think of as of now..fasting sounds good to me too...

Nature
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2013 03:35 AM »

Assalamu alaikum!

Please remember me in your duas, I will be presenting before the whole school about hijab day tomorrow!  Shocked

As for the guys thing - I'm basically going to emphasize that I chose to focus on female hijab due to the misconceptions surrounding it, more than male hijab. However, if any guys are interested, I also have info on male hijab ready to send out in a similar email.
Nature
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2013 03:48 AM »

Assalamu alaykum,

Those of you who have been following the board or the Please make dua thread will know of my recent troubles regarding Hijab Day. I need your duas urgently, that I am able to speak eloquently for our beautiful religion and represent it in the best way inshallah. The "Iranian dude" has been spreading around ideas during his 'protest' that hijab is by force, and that Muslim women who think that what they're doing is by choice have been brainwashed. I realized that me being quiet is simply not good enough for this situation - I refuse to engage in some horrible fight with him, but I have an absolute duty to stand up and talk some more about hijab and what it means, and to dispel the lies that this person is spreading.

I feel that I will be able to address their points well inshallah - (I will update you all soon on HOW MUCH I learnt from this day, and about the very fruitful discussions that I had).

However, Madinans, I need your help once again. I need help addressing one concern of their's - what about the Muslim women who are forced to wear hijab? For example in Saudi, in Iran, and even just socially (in schools in Muslim countries, where girls might hate wearing hijab ).

So far how I've replied is that it is wrong to force anyone to do anything - there is no compulsion in religion, and it's fairly pointless to force people to do something that they don't believe in. However, it is wrong to judge Islam, and hijab, by the actions of a few in modern decades - hijab is meant to be like any other tenet of the religion, whether it's praying, fasting, or giving zakat.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2013 09:34 AM »

The middle east does have horrendous human rights, suggest the iranian guy re-direct his energies to lobbying the government and demand they cease all trade with these countries, specifically stop crude oil exports from them till they change. Or how about he lobby the US government for their own human rights atrocities; Guatanamo anyone? Funding and endorsing the illegal terrorist Israeli occupation and open murder of the Palestinians.

Who died and made this dude spokesperson for me? Why is he sane and clear minded in his desire to impose his choices over my own free choice to observe hijab, what qualifications does he have to brand me brain washed for my conscientious and long standing choice to observe hijab?

No one least of all a man has any right whatsoever to tell a woman to take her clothes off. My body is not a comodity or a political tool, my body my hair my choice. And he can keep walking.

I am very educated, I hold a position of authority (over men and women), I oversee a team and command a huge amount of respect within my arena. My skills make me a hugely demanded employee I can pretty much walk into any work place and get the job with the pay packet I want. Alhumdulillah

Why does this little jumped up nobody think he can tell me what to wear. When he would not compare to me in any aspect of life whatsoever?

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2013 01:56 PM »

The "Iranian dude" has been spreading around ideas during his 'protest' that hijab is by force, and that Muslim women who think that what they're doing is by choice have been brainwashed.

I'm always fascinated by this argument...

If women are brainwashed to think that what they wear is their choice, then...

Couldn't that also apply to 'western women'?  That wearing skimpy clothing is their choice when in fact they've been brainwashed?  It goes both ways...    Wink
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2013 04:30 PM »

LOL

You lot have a lot to learn about the Irans recent history and the type of Iranians that left Iran to live in the west.

Iran was ruled by the Shah. He was an absolute ruler. He removed the democratically elected president in a British and American backed coup.
People in Iran were starving while he and his family lived in absolute luxury.
All of Iran's oil wealth went to British and American companies as well as his own family.
Starving the Iranians wasn't enough for him. So he also banned Islamic dress. First for men and then for women. Soldiers ripped off the Hijab off women using bayonets.
Women who wanted to continue to cover themselves as Allah had ordered had to be carried around by their male relatives in sacks.
A revolution happened and the Shah and his people were removed. The ones that hated Islam ran away to America and European countries with as much stolen wealth as they could carry.
So these people didn't abandon Islam when they came to the west. These people never had it. These are the people used as much force as they had to remove Hijab and Islam from the Iranian people.
When force was taken away from them, and they ran away to Christian countries they use slogans like freedom to try and take away Islam and Hijab from people.
Hijab isn't the only part of Islam they demonstrate against. I have seen them in demonstrations against Musjids, people converting to Islam, Palestine. I have even seen them in Nazi demonstrations marching hand in hand with white supremacists.

Best way to deal with people like that is to mock them.
Don't try using the "I wear it by my own free will" argument. Remember when those guys ruled Iran, they used knives at the ends of rifles to cut hijabs off your heads.
Nature
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2013 07:41 AM »

Quick, quick update.

The main reason that I've discovered that both men and women don't like hijab is NOT the concept of covering (many actually admire the principles and modesty and body-image improvement that come with hijab) - but they find it extreeeemely hypocritical that women have to cover when men cover much, much less. I can't tell you the number of people, Muslim and non-Muslim, who told me that they found it completely unfair that a guy can stand around bare-armed and in shorts when women are sweltering from top-to-toe.

How I countered this is attached.

One of my friends here at school frankly said that the reason she lost her religion was because she saw it as being completely unfair that her brother was allowed to go party and dance and was held up to a completely different set of rules than her (whereas her community shunned her because she was on a professional swim team as therapy to her back problems!). She admired the equal treatment in my family very much.

Men in Islam need to realize how crucial their actions are in how non-Muslims perceive Islam!!! And men's responsibilities need to stop being down-sized. Like my mom said, God didn't say, one set of rules for men and another for women, it's the same for both! Even though we may have different roles or responsibilities, affecting our everyday life, we still are held equally before God. Many non-Muslims were very turned off from Islam due to my Muslim male teacher's attitude in his explanations, especially concerning women and hijab. (He is an extremely good and kind man though)
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2013 11:43 AM »

The issue isn't about liking Hijab.
The issue is about believing in Islam.
Muslim women wear Hijab because Allah has ordered it.
It is our spirituality.
People who believe religion is man made will have a problem with this. They will say, why do you order women to do it and not men. Because they believe it is a "you" that has ordered it and not Allah.
There problem is they do not believe in Allah. And that is what we need to fix.

Muslims who leave Islam because of the above reasons have the same problem. They assume Muslims are imposing such laws on them. It is a "you" are telling me to do this, not a Allah is telling me to do this.
We can not change our religion when they blackmail us like that.
If they want Islam they can have it, if they want to reject it they can reject it.
They can do what they want.
And Allah will give them what Allah wants to give them in the next life.
And they can cry all they want about how unfair Hell fire is for the rest of eternity.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2013 02:02 PM »

Modesty is prescribed for both men and women.

Men have their own set of rules to live by and a lot of them do. Boys are all circumcised, men are expected to keep beards, wear their trousers hitched above ankles, they are not allowed to wear silk or gold or red clothing and both men and women are commanded to lower their gaze and guard their chastity.

Women's adherence to their religion is more visible, however a man who follows the rules is also very visible.

Whether one follows the rules is down to oneself, if your friend left the religion it is her own perosnal reasons not the religion itself, but her own insecurities and desires.

The treatment of Men and women is equitable in Islam, we do not have blanket rules for both sexes as are we are not equal either physically or emotionally. That does not make one less than the other, it rather allows us to live to our strengths and covers our weaknesses.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Nature
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2013 03:50 PM »

Modesty is prescribed for both men and women.

Men have their own set of rules to live by and a lot of them do. Boys are all circumcised, men are expected to keep beards, wear their trousers hitched above ankles, they are not allowed to wear silk or gold or red clothing and both men and women are commanded to lower their gaze and guard their chastity.

Women's adherence to their religion is more visible, however a man who follows the rules is also very visible.

Whether one follows the rules is down to oneself, if your friend left the religion it is her own perosnal reasons not the religion itself, but her own insecurities and desires.

The treatment of Men and women is equitable in Islam, we do not have blanket rules for both sexes as are we are not equal either physically or emotionally. That does not make one less than the other, it rather allows us to live to our strengths and covers our weaknesses.

Exactly!

As for my friend, I didn't mean that she left 'because of the religion' - rather I feel that part of what fueled her desire to leave was the fact that Muslims were NOT carrying out the equitable treatment prescribed in the Quran.
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2013 12:23 AM »

Are you sure she was ever in it?
I have met loads of people who said they have left a deen.
And I always do the same test on them.
Ask her if she knows Al Fatiha, or how to do Wadu?
You know, I have never ever met one who can?

So I translate "I have left Islam", to mean "I am from a community that can ethnically be described as Muslim but I have never ever followed any part of the religion but these are my excuses not to".

I don't think she was a nikab wearer who used to pray five times a day and checked out all the E numbers in all the food she bought to make sure they didn't contain any harram ingredients. And one day she thought, wow, so unfair that just because I take off my Nikab and the rest of my clothes to go swimming in front of males, Muslims criticize me while congratulating my brothers on their dance moves when they go clubbing. I know, I'll show them, I'll leave Islam!

Well, only one way to find out. Ask her if she knows Al Fatiha or how to do Wadu?
Nature
Sis

« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2013 05:34 AM »

Are you sure she was ever in it?
I have met loads of people who said they have left a deen.
And I always do the same test on them.
Ask her if she knows Al Fatiha, or how to do Wadu?
You know, I have never ever met one who can?

So I translate "I have left Islam", to mean "I am from a community that can ethnically be described as Muslim but I have never ever followed any part of the religion but these are my excuses not to".

I don't think she was a nikab wearer who used to pray five times a day and checked out all the E numbers in all the food she bought to make sure they didn't contain any harram ingredients. And one day she thought, wow, so unfair that just because I take off my Nikab and the rest of my clothes to go swimming in front of males, Muslims criticize me while congratulating my brothers on their dance moves when they go clubbing. I know, I'll show them, I'll leave Islam!

Well, only one way to find out. Ask her if she knows Al Fatiha or how to do Wadu?

That's true - she was brought up 'culturally Muslim'. She hasn't 'left' Islam - she was just born Muslim to a not-very-practicing family. I'm sorry if it seemed like she was making 'excuses' - she wasn't at all, it was just a point which came up in our conversations. I just meant to make the point that it instills doubt in people's hearts when they think (because of the actions of people around them) that men are not held accountable to God, but women are. (This was a doubt which I've met even in very practicing Muslims).
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2013 12:38 PM »

The mistake a lot of people make when talking to such people is to talk to them as if they were Muslim.
They do this because they assume they once practiced the deen and then lapsed.
And they assume the reasons given, are the true reasons why they have lapsed, instead of just an excuse that has been thought up.
So they say things like, "Oh those people who criticize you for not following Islam are so wrong", or "they are right, you should obey this verse and that verse and the other verse because they are all part of Islam".
Neither of these arguments work because the person does not believe in Islam and in most cases does not even believe in a creator.
If you convince them that a rule is part of Islam, it will not mean they will follow it because they do not believe in Islam. If you convince them that the rules of Islam are all good, it will have no effect on them because they do not believe in a creator.

The only effective Dawa for such people is to do Dawa to them the way you would do it to a atheist.
So do not talk to them about Fiqh(rules of Islam), talk to them about Iman(Belief in Islam). Fisr convince them that their is a creator. And than convince them that the Quran is the word of the creator.
Once you do that, obedience to the rules of Islam will come automatically.

If they start the conversation on Fiqh, such as Hijab. It is your Job to divert the conversation to Iman. Because there is no benefit in talking about the need to wear Hijab to someone that doesn't believe in Islam. Just tell her, I do so because I love Allah and Allah has told me to do so in the Quran. Explain why you believe in Allah, and Explain why you believe in the Quran.

A big mistake people make when doing dawa is to talk to Muslims who do not follow a rule of Islam about Iman and Non-Muslims about fiqh. This is an easy mistake to make when you have a non-Muslim that thinks they are or were Muslim. Such as a cultural Muslim. But it is up to the dawa carrier to work out which is which. And talk about the correct subject.

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2013 02:50 PM »

Mashallah, you're starting to make sense bro Grin
Nature
Sis

« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2013 12:51 AM »

Thanks, that's true - I do try very hard to always remind people that the first and foremost reason I do something is because I believe Allah SWT ordered us to do it, and all other reasons come secondary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: