Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Satiation weighs down the body, hardens the heart, does away with sagacity, brings on sleep, and weakens one from worship." - Imam Shafi'i
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [FILM] Unmosqued The Movie  (Read 919 times)
pearl and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Feb 06, 2013 12:43 PM »

Salams,

I once read a book in the 80s set in the future (probly now) about how all the mosques would be empty and derelict buildings in the future. No one believed it of course. This film should be a very interesting look at a lot of difficult issues facing us.

Unmosqued The Movie Trailer
islamicsocks

Reputation Power: 10
islamicsocks has no influence :(

[Banned]

« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2013 01:24 PM »

I hate movies like this.
If anyone thinks following the examples of the Christians and Jew is how to fill Musjids go visit a Church or Synagogue and see how empty it it.
Better still, visit a ex Church or Synagogue that was so empty they had to sell it to Muslims who converted it to a Musjid that is now full.
You know what I say in response to malcontents who make movies like that?
If you don't like how Musjids are being run make your own one!
If you are too stingy to do that so instead want to reform the ones that currently exist. Even easier, why don't you help at the Musjid.
I bet the people who run it would be more inclined to listen to your advice if you were the one that woke up before fajr to unlock its doors, went home long after isha, after waiting for the last of the people who pray every Sunnah and make very long dua to leave. Hoping they wont stay and chat about Islam before they leave.

I get very suspicious when hijabless ones tell us how to run our musjids for the betterment of Islam. If such people were interested in Islam I would imagine they would start by practising it on themselves.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2013 04:46 PM »

This is so true....we build mosques - large beautiful ones, but they are empty. I went to the al-Farooq masjid while in Atlanta and ma'sha'allah, it's lovely, but there is no point if there isn't anyone there!

These cases where women are told they can't pray inside the mosque - talk about a "What the?" moment! I mean, this woman shown is mature and older, but if young girls are also treated this way  - ones who WANT to go to the mosque, I can only imagine them also turning away from the masjid and subsequently Islam, as is implied in the video. I was at a community event (an aqeeqah) and my teacher and one of several community leaders, was addressing the crowd and even mentioned how the youth are rebelling against Islam, etc. I don't know if this rebelling and troubles within the mosque was an issue back in the 90s or late 80s, but either way, I think those of us here in the US, have seen the situation deteriorate with each passing year.

So if at the mosque, those who still are trying to practice their faith sincerely, are being rejected at the door or inside the mosque, what will become of us? I'm already afraid of doing a proper job raising my future children insha'allah, but when the environment at the masjid is so hostile, outside of what I and my partner will be able to teach them, if they don't see the masjid as a comforting, welcoming place, that should help foster and grow their faith, a big part of the battle may be lost.

Just my thoughts.

BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2013 05:58 PM »

Musjids are usually empty outside of Salat times.
You know sometimes I ask myself, do these women really want to pray in Musjids or just in the ones with no female prayer halls?

Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2013 09:45 PM »

This is really interesting for me to see as a Muslim whose main experience of masajid has so far been in Muslim countries - where the mosque is only really a place where people go to pray and go straight back home, because everyone's Muslim there's no real need seen for a 'community centre' type mosque.

I've only just returned to the US recently, and I haven't had a chance to 'connect' with the Mosque or anything like that, although I definitely want to in the summer, to get to know more Muslims and to have access to halaqas. But from what I remember, it's perfectly true that there is simply less and less incentive for one to go to the mosque, especially if you're young and you have a Muslim family. If you were a first generation immigrant then the mosque was a community place where you connected with others like you - but now it's elder people just preaching khutbas to younger people who quite frankly think they're boring and irrelevant - the vibe I got when I visited was that the younger generation don't really have an incentive to come, and I think that this is partly due to the fact that Muslims are more established now - third generation kids like me don't really need to go to the mosque to meet other Muslims, they already have family friends and stuff.

Just my two cents.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2013 03:40 AM »

I agree with Nature, here's there's no 'connection' with the masjid. We only see it as a place to pray etc.

There are a lot of reforms that Hyderabadi masajid need though. Like, there aren't any regular halaqat like they have in the Arab world or in the West, only certain people running after you to join the jamaat where the only discussion is how to expand the jamaat, doesn't help much to be honest. Another thing is the oldies have to stop going "haraam! haraam! haraam!" over everything. They shout at kids running in the masjid but when they have to chat, it's as good as they're shouting in a megaphone - double standards. Lastly, as everywhere else, women aren't allowed. The men say women gossip and do this and do that and what not but what are they doing to educate the women. Even the jum'ah khutba can make a difference.

Recently, we had elections for the masjid committee. Can you imagine, elections?! And as with every election, there was politics, people literally shouted at each other inside the masjid. Tablighis, Barelwis and Jamaat-e-Islami, all were fighting for control. In the end, no one had the majority so the Tablighis and Jamaat-e-Islami formed a coalition committee...sheesh! sick! 
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2013 08:09 AM »

Well if you don't like it, set up your own Musjid.
Lets see if you can do any better?
You might not like the fact that the old people run the Musjid, but do you like the fact that they and not you are the ones that paid for it, built it, clean the toilets, wake up early and open the doors before the first arrive and only leave late at night when the last leave?

To be honest with you the only Musjids that I know that are full outside of Jummah are the Tabligi Musjids.
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2013 12:23 PM »

Well if you don't like it, set up your own Musjid.
Lets see if you can do any better?
Yea, and further divide and already divided community. Great idea.

I'm not against tablighis or any other group(I don't agree with certain groups but in the context it didn't matter to me who won) but the fact that each group fought for control and that too in a way that even politicians don't is ridiculous. Everybody was shouting in the masjid. As far as I know, Jamaat-e-Islami's basic premise is that democracy is unislamic and yet they took part, and they did it as a group, proudly representing the Jamaat. I don't know what to say, I was disgusted right from the moment a "party activist" came to my house asking for support. The sickest part was when it came to taking charge, nobody stood up. Like, the barelwis ran as a group and when they got a spot on the committee, no one person wanted to take charge. Same thing with the other two groups. In the end, the spot for the president went to a polished politician. The way he's handling it, we had major arguments during ramadan over the fans.

The old people may have paid for it and built it but they're not the one's who wake up early, open the doors, clean the toilets and leave late at night. The ones who shouted the most during the elections don't even come regularly. Most of them sit chatting in loud voices when the adhaan is being given and if a kid even runs silently to his dad, they'll have him thrown at the back. Once, the ex president shouted at the muaddhin in front of everybody because he was friendly with the youngsters in the neighbourhood. It's like they crave for attention and respect without ever having earned it.

They're not doing a great job to attract people to the masjid, especially the youth, and then you hear them complaining that the youth aren't respectful or religious as if they've been great role models themselves.

Ok I won't say anymore. I'm starting to sound like you Tongue

islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2013 01:26 PM »

If it isn't old people who is it that opens the doors, closes them at night, cleans the Musjid as well as its toilets?

While where at it who stands by the doors to collect the collections, then pays the electricity bills, telephone bills, water and gas? Who opens the letters and stays in the office to answer the phones?

Who organises building work and repairs?
Or hires/fires Imams, teachers, contractors and others?

Building new musjids isn't dividing the Ummah. People build new ones all the time. Because Populations increase.
You want to run in the way you would like, then you should build one the way you like.
And when you do, and clean it everyday with your own hands. Younger people will come in and tell you how much better they would be able to do it.
And how would you feel?

Well it isn't just young people who behave like that. Old people do that too.
These Bangalis bought a Church and were converting it in to a Musjid. I was at university at the time. And it was very close to exam time. But they needed help, had no money to hire anyone so my Uncle called me. Musjids are more important than exams so I went, and spent all my time doing fixing it up. No one helped. but many complaned about how things could be done better.
When it was Ramadan and they needed the prayer hall to be divided they called my dad. It was exam time again and both of us went there early in the morning to do it up. It was a Sunday and shops were closed. My dad woke up another uncle who owns a tool shop to get suplies for free. We did it up. Bunch of old guys crowded around and complained that they didn't like the shape and nagged about how we should redo it. So my dad had to go back to my uncles house wake him to get him to open his shop again. get the supplies and we had to redo everything.
After that he said he isn't going to help out there again.
Some people do all the work, donate all the supplies and all others can do is complain. while never ever offering to lift a single finger to help.
Some people think Musjids pay for themselves by Magic. And there is some sort of automated system to run everything.
They don't understand that running everything takes planning. And when the Job is to big for one person so requires a group of people to do all the work there are arguments.

If some people want to make a male only Musjid all the best to them. If you want to make a Mixed one all the best to you.
So you don't like how others do things? Do it better! If you complain about how all the Musjids are rubbish, you are not making anything better you are just complaining.

In your Musjid different groups argue about who should run the Musjid. But be grateful after the argument is over someone is running it to make sure water for your waduu is flowing. The toilets you sit on have been cleaned, and the doors are opened in the morning for you to enter and closed at night so thieves and vandals can't enter.
You said the old guys aren't the ones who do all this. But if they aren't the ones that appointed them and in some cases pay them who is it?
Do you want to go hunting for volunteers to take those responsibilities and take the responsibility for finding replacements at very short notice when they aren't available?
akhan
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2013 01:45 PM »

Building new musjids isn't dividing the Ummah. People build new ones all the time. Because Populations increase.

Dude, you said build your "own" masjid. Don't change the context.

Anyway, I'm not gonna argue further.
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2013 02:13 PM »

How is that changing the context?
Go build your own one. I'm sure that is the only way for there to be one 100% to your liking.
build on, pray in it. Building your own musjid isn't dividing the Ummah.
What is dividing the Ummah is when people build musjids and others criticize them.
All the Best to the groups that built your Musjid and Run it. It would be better for you if you were grateful to them for doing stuff you make use of, instead of criticizing them for their efforts.
Go down to them and beg their forgiveness for what you have said about them on this internet forum.
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2013 02:45 PM »

I don't intend to be a part of this argument but I think the thread was all about how unwelcoming the masjids have become at few parts of the world.No matter who builds it,it makes no sense if no one makes use of masjids in a right way.

And the people who really manage it, who extend their selfless services solely for the sake of pleasing Allah and desire for a successful running masjid,don't fight over the authority of leadership.And of what use will their hardwork be if they shoo people away with their disagreeable actions?

PS:Please make note that people who are able to give their so called 'criticism' about masjids,are the ones who actually go to masjids to be able to 'criticise' them.Unlike people who don't as they are either not motivated enough or not find masjids welcoming enough.  
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2013 03:10 PM »

My whole point was against people who go about saying "how unwelcoming the masjids have become at few parts of the world".
You know what do some people expect? that as soon as they enter a Musjid everyone will stop praying and say "thank you for gracing our Musjid with your presants".
Or after salat instead of returning to work because they have arranged their 10 minute tea breaks for Jamat times, they stay and chat to people who are inspecting the Musjid to see how welcoming it is?

Some people do all the work in Musjids and other people do all the criticizing.
If Musjids are not run as a dictatorship then there are arguments over who should be in charge.
Be grateful that after the arguments over leadership who ever wins does a good job of making sure their is heating, water for your wadu and people to lock the doors when you are done and open them again before you start the next day.

Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2013 03:26 PM »

Brother,no one is ungrateful to people who do all the work to make sure the masjid runs smooth.

This thread was all about WHY are people not utilising the services of the mosque?Why are they wasting the efforts of people who make sure there is sufficient water running for wudu, who make sure that the doors are locked at appropriate times etc.

I am not against the caretakers,their reward lies with Allah for sure.
But it is a cause for concern if we find that masjids,which have excellent caretakers,are being left abandoned,especially by our younger generation.

Anyway,I am not against anyone here. Smiley

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2013 03:28 PM »

There's definitely a lot of work that needs to be done on both sides. But when Mosques are blatantly unwelcoming except to 80 year old men of the founder's own ethnicity there is a MAJOR PROBLEM. I mean major. I wrote a long blog about this: http://jannah.org/blog/2012/06/02/equal-access-to-mosques/

What people don't understand is that this is the WEST. Muslim women have no access to education and community except through Mosques. In Muslim countries, there are women's circles, teaching at schools etc. In the West, if women are excluded from Mosques it also excludes them from Islamic education and community. Who are you all going to marry then if all the girls are messed up? Who's going to be the mother of your children? Who's fault is it if there are more Hijabi girls hanging out at Westfield Mall than at the Mosques. I mean when I went there it felt like being at ISNA (Muslim girls dressed to the nines on the lookout, just tawafing through the mall) Why aren't they at the Mosques or more active in the community? Or at Islamic programs. Cause most Mosques have no sisters' activities or even sisters section. How sad is it that my friend told me she and a friend of hers really needed to pray and the Mosque elder refused to let them in even for 5 minutes. You know what they did? They went to the church next door and prayed. As she said herself, if anyone going through this had any doubts about Islam this would have tipped them over.
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2013 04:27 PM »

The reason why they have set up male only Musjids is they don't think you and the two sisters that had to pray in the church should be outside. Instead you should stay at home.
Your Husband/father/brother/son should go to the Musjid take knowledge and then pass it on to you.

That may not be you way, but that is their way. And they are the ones that have set up the Musjid.
And all other news Musjids of the future will also be like that if only they are the ones willing to pay for them. And only they are the ones willing to run them.

We have Male only Musjids here and we also have Musjids with female prayer halls.  Female prayer halls in the Musjids that already exists always seem empty?
Muslims in the west generally live in big cities where space is very expensive and hard to find. Planning laws do not allow  old buildings to be demolished and restrict their modification. And these laws are applied even stricter when it upon Muslims building Musjids than they are on others to try and restrict the building of Musjids.

raising funds to build Musjids, finding land for them, obtaining planning permission to build them, building them and than running them isn't easy. If you don't like the way the only people who do the above are doing it. Go ahead and do it the way you think is better.

I also do not agree with what you say about Muslim girls in the mall. What makes you think they are there for any reason other then why you were there?

If there is such a need for sisters activities. Why don't all the sisters that need them organise them? Instead of complain about 80 year old guys not organising them for you?
If all young brothers and sisters feel the 80 year old guys that have set up the Musjid and currently run it do not do so in a way you like, instead do it in a way 80 year olds like. Why don't the young brothers and sisters set one up?
You know a lot of the Musjids currently run by 80 year old guys were set up by young people 50 or so years ago. These 80 year old guys weren't always 80 years old.
If you don't know how to set one up, go ask those 80 year old guys. and once you do set it up you will have to ask those 80 year old guys how to organise its running.
If it is all to much for you, how about offering to pay for a extension to the Musjid that will act as a female prayer hall? Or volunteering to do the fund raising and admin for such a project?
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2013 04:51 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

The archetype for the Islamic place of worship was our beloved Prophet’s saw masjid in Madinah. A study of its history would probably give some indication of what a modern day masjid should aspire to.

Beyond that, however, a quality that is sorely lacking in our Ummah is rudimentary Islamic adab or etiquette.

When one sees a Muslim being deliberately argumentative, conceited, abusive and insensitive one has to wonder how much he/she follows the Sunnah of our Prophet saw who was openly conciliatory, humble, kind and gentle.

What a difference indeed!

As the month of Rabi-ul-Awwal draws to a close let us endeavour to refine our conduct, both in our words and in our deeds and make our Prophet saw proud of his Ummah by emulating him to the furthest extent possible.

That, after all, is what Sunnah is about!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2013 06:15 PM »

JazakAllah khair for that reminder BrKhalid. Indeed the month of Rabbial awwal is slipping away from us. We should all be posting in the Al-Rawdah forum instead of here!

Islamicsocks I get your message of 'put your money where ur mouth is' which i agree with. Far too many armchair critics in the Ummah, but take it from one who has been on Mosque building boards and has privately given money for specific sisters thing. You would not believe the opposition. You would think some people think the Mosque is their private men's club instead of the House of Allah.
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2013 07:01 AM »

New blog post about the documentary and the very important related issues - by Sana Saeed. She is disappointed in both what the documentary seems to show (at this point from the clips that have been released) and the larger issues that we face conerning masajid and of course, womens' role in our communities.

http://aristotleslackey.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/mosqued-and-unmosqued/

Sana Saeed is a young culture and politics enthusiast based currently in the Middle of Nowhere Alberta. She holds an MA in Islamic Studies, focusing on contemporary Levantine political history.

She is the Senior Editor for islawmix, Senior Online Editor for the Islamic Monthly, former contributor and Editor-in-Chief at Kabobfest and a contributor at Muslimah Media Watch. Please feel free to further stalk her here, where you can find her portfolio.

islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2013 11:56 AM »

She is also someone that doesn't wear Hijab.

But that aside, I don't think we need to be taking advice from someone that wants Musjids to be centres of Homosexual rights do we?

My issue with people who themselves do not set up Musjids criticizing others who do, steams from the fact that they are completely ignorant on it.

For example: Some guy has a small terraced house. His kids have all moved away, his wife has died. The Musjids in the area are full or too far away. He wants to move in with his kids. He can sell the house and use live off the money for the remainder of his life. But instead he donates the house to be used as a Musjid. Like most houses it has one bathroom, which can be used for wadu, and one small entrance where MEN have to squeeze past each other to get in and out.

Most people are happy with such a move.
But the usual malcontent complain, about there being no place for women. Or nothing for the youth. Or how Musjids should have swimming pools and gyms, classrooms and others things.

Why don't Most Musjids have the above?
Most Musjids in the west are not purpose built buildings. Muslims in the west mainly live in major cities in which free space is scarce and planning laws are harsh.
If they had tried to build Musjids with male and female halls, male and female entrances, male and female toilets, showers and Wadu facilities they would have known this.
They haven't so they are completely ignorance of it.

So Most Musjids are converted houses or high street shops. Planning laws mean even if the land which the building is built on was big enough to construct the purpose built Musjid of your dreams, it isn't legal to do so. You can not demolish buildings at your choosing.
You usually have to make do with what you find.
And when you are allowed to demolish a building, the size and scale of what you build is controlled by local government.
I also find if very hypocritical.
Why?
The people who seem to be complaining about Musjids not having women's prayer spaces, don't seem to be the type that pray. I mean  I go to a Musjid to pray. That is what the word means. The place to do Sajada. It isn't about serving the LGBT community. There are plenty of Gay bars for that purpose.
It is hypocritical to say Musjids are excluding homosexuals by not serving them, because it looks like the homosexuals excluded themselves by choosing that lifestyle.
There are Musjids with women's prayer halls, and there are others with no women's facilities.  I find it difficult to take women who complain about some Musjids only having male halls seriously, because I would imagine if they seriously wanted to pray in a Musjid they would go to one with a female prayer hall. Many do exist. They are usually empty, and never ever full. This is because it is best for women to pray in their homes and Jummah is not farrad on women.

I do understand some sisters had difficulties when they travelled. I think that was due to the people in those particular musjids.  I have never experienced that myself. In my experience when women come in quietly and quietly pray alone in the back and than quietly leave no one even notices.
I'm sure the reaction would have been very different if a bunch of them came in together with load hailers and a TV crew.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2013 01:50 PM »

bro islamicsocks i think the movie is mostly about mosques in america, and there they are almost all exclusively purpose built buildings. there may be a converted downtown musalla here and there but it's very rare nowadays. even if they have one they will be collecting money to build a mosque one day, because land and space and building is a lot easier (or was before current wave of islamophobia) in the US.

second your theory that the converted mosques in the UK can't accommodate sisters or have facilities isn't legitimate. the closest mosque near my house in North London, has capacity for 1200 and it is exclusively MEN ONLY! now tell me when sisters are out and about in London there are only a handful of places to pray. why is that when there are mosques right there who are NOT filled to capacity on non-Jumah days and sisters need to pray. There are many times we have had to pull out our travel janamaz's and pray in a corner somewhere on the mud. Now, I'm dead certain other sisters just miss prayers because they are in route somewhere or not able to make it back home in time. Is this not WRONG to not allow those who need to pray to enter the mosques. Does this not go against the prophet's (saw) words: Do not prevent the female servants of Allah from the Masjids.  I don't see any Mosques in the UK that can't build even a small room for sisters. Even the tiny Mosque near Oxford Street has a little tiny room at the bottom for sisters. Even Selwyn mosque has rooms in the building next door.  Let's be honest and realistic:  It's just an excuse that they can't do it, they can, they just don't.
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2013 02:52 PM »

North London  Huh?
(sorry none of my business)

Anyway, if it is close to your house. You can just as easily pray in your house.
And if you feel the need to go to one with female space, it isn't such a long journey to the next one.
The Musjids with male only prayer space do have talks for females. When that happened during which the whole Musjid or a part depending on its side of it is left to females.
I know at least two male Musjids in North London that do that.

If you are out and about, and you need to pray, you can go in to a Male only Musjid outside of Jammat times. I have seen many do so. I have never known anyone to face difficulties when doing so. I have seen videos of women facing difficulties, but they do so as a big group shouting slogans going there armed with a Camera crew.

I have never been to America. So I can agree you know more about the Great Satan than I do. But a lot of arguments I have heard coming from there sound like bad recordings of false arguments I have heard here.

It might seem easy for someone to construct a Musjid the way you would like. But you are someone who hasn't constructed one.
When space and funding is limited. Some people do decide to construct it so all available prayer space will be used by males who will pray in that space, instead of reserve some space for women, who will never use that space.
Well you live in North London now, so you have probably prayed in the mixed ones. Are the women's halls empty or full.
If they are empty, and you have seen the male hall full, while some pray on the passage ways, stairs, wadu halls, and in many cases outside can't you see how some might view construction of female prayer space, entrances, wadu and toilet facilities as a waste of space and money?
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2013 05:17 PM »

Yikes, sorry that I re-ignited this debate....

Br islamicsocks - maybe if the environment at masajid were more welcoming or if they just built a more respectable spaces for the sisters, they would come. If you build small spaces, yes, I think I would also want to pray at home or as we all know, the entire Earth is our prayer space and we can pray in any clean spot - though of course, there are more blessings by praying together in the masjid etc.

Also, it's not as if men are filling up the the mosque either..I was recently in the Southeast part of the States and there is a huge mosque in Atlanta and I went for Maghbrib several times and there were only a few lines in the smaller side  / spill over rooms...I think what Sis J said in the first post on this thread is true...that fortelling of how the mosques would be empty...it's so true....we are building these beautiful structures but not using them...it's sad. I am all for building in growing communities, but on the whole, if there is any Great Shaytaan, it's in our own hearts and communities...stop blaming America or outside forces...we are the source of our own problems for the most part and it's then only that such entities like America that can come in and make things even worse....

BABA

P.S. Not that it matters as far as the discussion goes, but Sr. Sana does observe hijab. Where did you get the idea she doesn't?

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2013 06:30 PM »

br islamicsocks how do you know i haven't constructed a mosque? I've been on two building committees for mosques and do know how the planning and spending works.  In N. London, the Edmonton Mosque is always FULL of ladies even for Maghrib and Isha, on Jumah there isn't room to find space even. Palmer's Green does have at times a line of sisters praying and there are many more during times they have maddrasah and evening classes. It's not like these sisters areas are sitting empty. In East London Mosque sisters are praying on the stairs and the walkway and in a tiny classroom. I mean this is the biggest and oldest Mosque in London. It's just sad bro. The only decent Mosque for sisters in London that I've found so far is Regent's Park which is always filled with sisters. The balcony is crammed on Jumahs. I can't imagine how it is during Ramadan. My only explanation for this is that it was built by Arabs who always include space for sisters in their Mosques.

It might seem easy for someone to construct a Musjid the way you would like. But you are someone who hasn't constructed one.
When space and funding is limited. Some people do decide to construct it so all available prayer space will be used by males who will pray in that space, instead of reserve some space for women, who will never use that space.
Well you live in North London now, so you have probably prayed in the mixed ones. Are the women's halls empty or full.
If they are empty, and you have seen the male hall full, while some pray on the passage ways, stairs, wadu halls, and in many cases outside can't you see how some might view construction of female prayer space, entrances, wadu and toilet facilities as a waste of space and money?
islamicsocks

[Banned]

« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2013 09:07 PM »

Yikes, sorry that I re-ignited this debate....

P.S. Not that it matters as far as the discussion goes, but Sr. Sana does observe hijab. Where did you get the idea she doesn't?

http://www.facebook.com/sana.saeed

The picture of her self connected to the Link you gave.
And the Homosexual inclusiveness stuff is on the very page you linked to.
I am OK with using the word sister on people that don't wear Hijab. But I am very uncomfortable with using such a word when calls are made for the inclusiveness of 'LGBTQ' within Islam.
Recently the law has been changed in the UK allowing homosexuals to get married in places of worship.
5 so called Muslim MPs voted for it, and only one against.
There are calls for Homosexuals to be able to get married in Musjids.
Is this what was meant by her statement:  

"As Muslim American religious space, in all of its forms, increases and expands, so too does the need for a conversation that does not, in its character, prioritize the needs of some Muslims over other Muslims – be these immigrants, ethnic minorities, women, LGBTQ, youth or converts."

Because this is the exact same wording being used by people calling for homosexual marriages in places of worship.
Treating homosexuality as an intrinsic aspect of someone's being instead of wilful disobedience to Allah.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: