// do bad things happen to bad ppl?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: I believe in the religion of Islam. I believe in Allah and peace. --Muhammad Ali
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: do bad things happen to bad ppl?  (Read 166 times)
Anonymous
« on: Feb 23, 2013 08:31 PM »

I came across this article and it made me feel... well, bad.  In particular, this passage:

2- Hardship and adversity is also decreed by God as a cleansing of our souls for sins we have already committed. As a result, some of the bad things that happen to us are a direct result of sins we have committed:

[42:30] Anything bad that happens to you is a consequence of your own deeds, and He overlooks many (of your sins).

It can also be said that God, being the Most Just, would not punish us twice for the same sin. This means that the punishment we are given cleanses us and no further punishment is due.

The concept of cleansing the human from sins in this life is a Quranic truth. It can be achieved through the experiencing of hardship and adversity (as 42:30), and it can also be through the payment of a “sadaqa” (charity) for the specific reason of cleansing the soul from sins which have been committed:

I've been going through a lot of problems in my life, which I'm currently experiencing and I feel like it's being heaped upon me because I'm a bad person.  I feel like my muslim friends and ppl who know me are judging me accordingly and because things haven't been great for me for a while now, it is something that lies with me - that in my character I'm at fault and that's why good things haven't happened for me.  I feel distanced from my friends and don't want to be the one who brings nothing but tales of woe.  I just feel like i'm 'bad' and this article confirms this. 
Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2013 08:39 PM »

the full article is posted http://www.quran-islam.org/articles/part_3/human_suffering_%28P1381%29.html
Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2013 01:12 AM »

salam

Everyone goes thro bad times, this life is a trial.

I went thro a period where I was wondering this very thing. I actually started really honestly doing istighfar and I meant it from the heart with every fibre of my being. I remember walking down the street and thinking you must Forgive me please forgive me, how can I face you if you are so angry with me? And I actually completely broke down in the middle of the streets in tears.

I then told a close friend that I thought that Allah must be so so so angry with me and I couldn't face it. I can face down everything and nothing bothers me but the thought that Allah was so angry with me that this life was made a trial in such a way that I couldn't see a way out then how could I face him and if I couldn't look forward to our meeting then I really didn't want anything at all. And I asked her to make duas for me.

But she reminded me that Allah sends us trials to bring us close to him, he tests us it is a promise he has made, he tested his own messengers he will similarly test us.

Jonah (AS) was swallowed by a whale and separated from his family.
Yusuf (AS) was separated from his beloved father during childhood and reunited only in his middle age.
Ayoub (AS) was atripped of everything from wealth, children and health he was stripped of it all after havign had it all, which surely must be a whole heap worse than never knowing what you're missing.
Ibraheem (AS) was thrown into a fire (imagine the prospect of being burnt in a real fire?), he was ordered to abandon his child and wife in the desert, he was ordered to sacrifice his beloved son
Ismael was demanded as a sacrifice at the hands of his own father.
Our beloved Prophet (saw) went thro trial after trial after trial, he was orphaned in babyhood, he lost all those who loved and protected him at a young age ie grandfather, he was chased out of towns and even his beloved home, he was stoned, abused and taunted as were his first followers.

Wouldn't Allah then on balance also try us?

I now just look at it like well such and such happened to Khadeeja, or Aaasiya or Mariam and it's also happened to me and it makes me love them more and perhaps Allah will grant me company amongst them in paradise because we are similar in this at least.

I also try and do istighfar as much as possible and try to do nafl acts which will please Allah. And I make duas that Allah call me back to him when he will be most pleased with me.

It's not trials we should fear, its our own response to them.

Trials are not there to punish us they are a blessing from Allah, we get to compensate for our sins in this life (thinking about it seriously do you want to compensate for your sins in the hereafter?). We are also reminded of Allah's blessings on us, we remember Allah with much more isncereity during trials when the good times have made us lazy and complacent (this cannot just be me), they make us reassess our lives and our selves and most certainly for myself, the worst times have made me a better person in my behaviour, I remember how I felt during a period in my life where I was struggling and am always always kind to those who are currently in the place I was years ago because I know my life is but for the grace of Allah. It also helps to sometimes step back and think of the good in your life, things may be bad but there is also so much good.

I recently saw a quote by Mufti Ismail Menk
The Almighty gives us so much without us asking, so if He doesn't give what we ARE asking for He knows it's better for us not to have it

I've never looked at my trials that way, but I think he is right in this absolutely.

Then there's also this truth about trials, that Allah try's those he loves, the harder trials are for those he loves more. I would love that certainty, if I was sure to be amongst the most loved by Allah I'd live this life forever. It's the fear of my own sins that terrify me, not the hell fire but the thought I have made Allah angry with me I can't live with that.

But Allah has promised that his mercy overcomes his anger, he is named Merciful.

He has promised;

O son of Adam, as long as you call upon Me and put your hope in Me, I have forgiven you for what you have done and I do not mind. O son of Adam, if your sins were to reach the clouds of the sky and then you would seek My forgiveness, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, if you were to come to Me with sins that are close to filling the earth and then you would meet Me without ascribing any partners with Me, I would certainly bring to you forgiveness close to filling it."

Say: O My servants who have transgressed against their own souls, despair not of the mercy of Allah. Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful. (Surah az-Zumar 39:53)

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. (surah Baqara 2:186)

Trials don't make you a bad person, it's Allah giving you a chance to come closer to Him, make duas and call on him during Tahajjud and ask him to put your heart at ease.

May Allah grant you ease.
Anonymous
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2013 04:40 PM »

wsalam

JazakAllah, for your post.  It has definitely put my troubles into perspective.  I certainly don't want to pay for my sins in the next life so if bearing trials in this life is what I need then, yes, I'd take it over jahannam any day of the week.  My heart feels unsettled but InshallAllah, I want to make changes in my life that you have mentioned e.g. more istighfar, thinking of Allah SWT's blessings, remembering people who are enduring trials worse than mine, being kind to everyone around me. 
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2013 09:37 PM »

I wouldn't worry about anything you read in that website.
It isn't an Islamic website. As soon as I read it I knew it belonged to Rasheed Khilafah's Cult.
They are not Muslim and he is not a Prophet of God. Mohummed pbh was the last and final messinger of Allah and the so called Quran alone is not an Islamic group, they are an anti Islamic group.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: