// Hamas law promotes gender segregation in Gaza strip schools
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Do not speak much without mentioning Allah because you will harden your hearts. A hard heart is far from Allah, but you do not know. Do not look at the wrong actions of people as if you were lords. Look to your wrong actions as if you were slaves. Some people are afflicted by wrong action and some people are protected from it. Be merciful to the people of affliction and praise Allah for His protection." - Jesus (Peace be upon him)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamas law promotes gender segregation in Gaza strip schools  (Read 108 times)
islamicsocks

Reputation Power: 10
islamicsocks has no influence :(

[Banned]

« on: Apr 03, 2013 10:05 AM »

Girls do better in single sex schools

Hamas law promotes gender segregation in Gaza strip schools

Tuesday, 02 April 2013 18:36

Al-Arabiya

Hamas' education ministry has released a new ruling that bans men from teaching at girl's schools in the Gaza strip.

The law, published Monday, is set to go into effect throughout the coastal enclave next year and also mandates separate classes for girls and boys from the age of nine upwards.

Private and Christian-led schools, where classes are mixed until secondary school, are set to be the most affected by the decision. United Nations schools will also be forced to adapt.

Gaza's government-run schools are already mostly gender-segregated.

Proponents of the new law state that it is simply a way to codify Palestinian values into law.

"We are a Muslim people. We do not need to make people Muslims, and we are doing what serves our people and their culture," said Waleed Mezher, the education ministry's legal advisor, to Reuters.

Critics, alternatively, believe that the new measures represent Hamas' attempt to force its ideology on society.

Zeinab al-Ghoneimi, a woman's rights activist in Gaza, said, "instead of hiding behind traditions, why don't they say clearly they are Islamists and they want to Islamize the community," to Palestinian radio.

"To say that the old law did not respect the community's traditions and that they [Hamas] wanted to reform people now is an insult to the community," she added.

With regards to its effects on education, some activists are not worried.

"It's not that it will severely affect the standard of education to either gender," said a rights activist, Rula Muhtad, to Al Arabiya.

"But we want to understand what the intention of Hamas is, are they being motivated by traditional ideas, do they want to force us to accept their ways?"

She showed disappointment at the lack of decision making involvement by local schools; "this wasn't an all-inclusive process."

However, the education ministry stated that private schools had been invited to discuss the legislation, according to the ministry they failed to do so.

Hamas has administered Gaza since fighting a brief civil war with its Palestinian rivals in the secular Fatah party in 2007, a year after it won a surprise majority in Palestinian parliamentary polls.
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2013 10:47 AM »

That's a good step and I believe it will be the best for the people.

I did boys-only secondary school and that helped me. In the university, we were distinct from our peers who studied in mixed schools.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
islamicsocks

Reputation Power: 10
islamicsocks has no influence :(

[Banned]

« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2013 01:54 PM »

I agree with single sex schools for both boys and girls. But statistically, boys do slightly better in  mixed schools and girls do much better in single sex schools.
But I still agree with this for two reasons.
It builds the Islamic personally of gender segregation. If segregation was only applied once children had reached puberty, the transition would be much harder. Doing it a from a few years earlier gives children time to adopt and get it right.
The other reason is, girls do much better in single sexed schools, and boys only do slightly better in mixed schools. By having all girls in single sex schools, by definition it would also mean all boys would be in single sexed schools too.
The major improvement single sex schools make to girls education out weighs the minor benefits mixed schools have on boys education.
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2013 11:28 PM »

That's true. I wasn't talking about academic performance when I said we were different. I meant we were different on the ways we interact with opposite sex. Those from mixed schools look down at us as less civilized because we don't date, shake hands with ladies, do parties etc.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: