Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “I walk slowly, but I never walk backward” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Transport Quran  (Read 282 times)
peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« on: Apr 04, 2013 03:37 PM »

ASAK!
 I have a problem. Its sensitive and its making me very nervous. I would be extremely thankful for any suggestions that come on this. After reading many people will not find it to be a great deal but for me its very very huge problem and any help would be most welcome.
I am shifting base, moving over to another city. All the household items movers and packers will take care of. But I have a huge collection of islamic literature including an 8 volume set of Quran. Then ther are a number of other books that have to be handled respectfully. Last time when I shifted base I did not have this 8 voulme set of quran. The rest of the books I had carried in a bag and the co-passengers were non-muslims but civilized and sensible people. Smiley
This time the Quran voulmes are making me really nervous. Husband suggested gifting them to someone but they are very dear to me. I am not parting with them because once these things are gone they are never purchased....its something to be kept and read for life and passed over to kids.
I don't know how I will be going :1) By air---the book will exceed the hand baggage weight limit so i think I am not going by air. 2) By  Bus or train:  Don't know what kind of seats I will get and if the copassengers will be understanding enough to let me keep the bag on upper portions and keep their feet away!  Sad
I will also have two tiny kids with me. Shocked
Now my question is that if I pack this sacred literature really well like in layers and layers and keep them in a hard suitcase and then pack the suit case tooo in a few layers can I send them through the transporters. Transporters are not really gentle in thier manners while uploading and downloading the truck so there might be some throwing around the suitcase.  Huh?
I am really taken over by this issue these days so kindly help!!
I googled also but no one on the planet seems to have encountered this problem before Roll Eyes

Jazak Allah in advance Smiley
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2013 03:41 PM »

wsalam,

I suggest you buy an extra luggage allowance from the airlines. It's probably $100 for an extra suitcase of 50lbs. Then wrap each book in bubble wrap and place among clothes. IA it will be fine!! and you get more room for your clothes! Wink  Good luck on your move!
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2013 05:47 PM »

You're leaving hyderabad?  :'(
Didn't like it?   Undecided

To answer your question, I packed it with the rest of my stuff, right in the middle of the suitcase and checked it in. The loaders won't stamp on your luggage or such. No idea what to do in trains or buses though.
peace
Sis

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2013 09:51 AM »

I absolutely loved Hyderabad...but I am not fortunate enough to be staying here longer. BTW please give me direction to the old bookshop you mentioned in your 'magnum opus'!
And Jazak Allah sister J and akhan  for the advice on transportation. Smiley
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2013 01:48 PM »

barakallahu feeki...inshallah you'll find more happiness in whichever city you're moving to. Remember us in your duas. Smiley

hehehe...that was not a magnum opus.
The store is just next to Santosh-Sapna theatre at Abids. I wonder if it's still open though, it's been a really really long time since I went there, or even bought a book from any other bookstore, thanks to ebooks and ecommerce. If it's been shut down, you can still find old books on the street market on Sundays at Abids. It starts from around Kathiawar store all the way upto Hollywood and the lane adjacent to it.

peace
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2013 01:59 PM »

thank u akhan...... Smiley
akhan
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2013 12:17 PM »

my pleasure
peace
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2013 06:21 AM »

went to AA Hussain. That was right about the book finding its way to reader rather than the other way round! They did not have any of the books I had in mind. Bought two books for myself one of which is a very valuable discovery. Its called "Beirut to Jerusalem" by Ang Swee Chai.
akhan
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2013 06:46 AM »

hehehe...sorry about that. I could almost always find what I needed at that place. I remember my dad taking me there for the first time when I was about 4 years old and I used to read comics back then and it seemed like jannah! I was grabbing everything I could lay my hands on and when I opened the box after going back to jeddah, half of what I had grabbed was gone. As always, daddy dearest had decided to limit the indulgence. Sometimes he used to visit India alone for a few days and I'd be looking forward more to that box of books rather than to having my dad back. And I still have about 90% of that childhood collection, and my future kids better read from that or else I'm bringing the chappal to their bum Grin

About 4-5 years ago, my uncle visited us from America and we went there and he told me it was his favourite bookstore from back in the day. It's that old, so you can imagine how many mad readers it must've catered to, including my family. But, now the whole business is slowly dying, thanks to ebooks and online shopping and the sort and also because people aren't reading as much as they used to. My siblings don't read at all and they're not even next generation, just 4-5 years younger, it's gotten that bad. I feel old already oldshaykh

I think a visit is on the cards now that you've made me nostalgic Smiley
peace
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2013 09:31 AM »

developing love for books in my kids is one of the major departments of my upbringing them. iA I will succeed.
akhan
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2013 05:13 PM »

developing love for books in my kids is one of the major departments of my upbringing them. iA I will succeed.
tips?
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2013 06:23 PM »

tips?

Restrict TV highly, especially in the younger years. I was not allowed tv when I was younger (my parents brought us dvds/videos instead). As I got older I was allowed to watch restricted tv. Now I can make my own choices...and I watch very little television. My mother was very clever - she did not outright refuse any tv in the home, but she managed it very carefully. Give them books instead! Don't let them watch trash...books books books! Flood'em!

Television
(Roald Dahl)

The most important thing we've learned,
So far as children are concerned,
Is never, NEVER, NEVER let
Them near your television set --
Or better still, just don't install
The idiotic thing at all.
In almost every house we've been,
We've watched them gaping at the screen.
They loll and slop and lounge about,
And stare until their eyes pop out.
(Last week in someone's place we saw
A dozen eyeballs on the floor.)
They sit and stare and stare and sit
Until they're hypnotised by it,
Until they're absolutely drunk
With all that shocking ghastly junk.
Oh yes, we know it keeps them still,
They don't climb out the window sill,
They never fight or kick or punch,
They leave you free to cook the lunch
And wash the dishes in the sink --
But did you ever stop to think,
To wonder just exactly what
This does to your beloved tot?
IT ROTS THE SENSE IN THE HEAD!
IT KILLS IMAGINATION DEAD!
IT CLOGS AND CLUTTERS UP THE MIND!
IT MAKES A CHILD SO DULL AND BLIND
HE CAN NO LONGER UNDERSTAND
A FANTASY, A FAIRYLAND!
HIS BRAIN BECOMES AS SOFT AS CHEESE!
HIS POWERS OF THINKING RUST AND FREEZE!
HE CANNOT THINK -- HE ONLY SEES!
'All right!' you'll cry. 'All right!' you'll say,
'But if we take the set away,
What shall we do to entertain
Our darling children? Please explain!'
We'll answer this by asking you,
'What used the darling ones to do?
'How used they keep themselves contented
Before this monster was invented?'
Have you forgotten? Don't you know?
We'll say it very loud and slow:
THEY ... USED ... TO ... READ! They'd READ and READ,
AND READ and READ, and then proceed
To READ some more. Great Scott! Gadzooks!
One half their lives was reading books!
The nursery shelves held books galore!
Books cluttered up the nursery floor!
And in the bedroom, by the bed,
More books were waiting to be read!
Such wondrous, fine, fantastic tales
Of dragons, gypsies, queens, and whales
And treasure isles, and distant shores
Where smugglers rowed with muffled oars,
And pirates wearing purple pants,
And sailing ships and elephants,
And cannibals crouching 'round the pot,
Stirring away at something hot.
(It smells so good, what can it be?
Good gracious, it's Penelope.)
The younger ones had Beatrix Potter
With Mr. Tod, the dirty rotter,
And Squirrel Nutkin, Pigling Bland,
And Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and-
Just How The Camel Got His Hump,
And How the Monkey Lost His Rump,
And Mr. Toad, and bless my soul,
There's Mr. Rat and Mr. Mole-
Oh, books, what books they used to know,
Those children living long ago!
So please, oh please, we beg, we pray,
Go throw your TV set away,
And in its place you can install
A lovely bookshelf on the wall.
Then fill the shelves with lots of books,
Ignoring all the dirty looks,
The screams and yells, the bites and kicks,
And children hitting you with sticks-
Fear not, because we promise you
That, in about a week or two
Of having nothing else to do,
They'll now begin to feel the need
Of having something to read.
And once they start -- oh boy, oh boy!
You watch the slowly growing joy
That fills their hearts. They'll grow so keen
They'll wonder what they'd ever seen
In that ridiculous machine,
That nauseating, foul, unclean,
Repulsive television screen!
And later, each and every kid
Will love you more for what you did.
akhan
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2013 08:00 PM »

That's already on the agenda, no TV and no video games. Anything other than that?
peace
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2013 08:15 PM »

Aww!! that poem....i want to send it to all the people who lament the lack of a  television set in my house!
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 80
Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)Nature is a force to reckon with mA! :)

« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2013 09:25 PM »

That's already on the agenda, no TV and no video games. Anything other than that?

Hmmm don't outright BAN it, give them alternatives. For example we never had video games in the house, but we did play really nice CDs, most of which were very educational. Nowadays you might prefer to give educational video games?

Also - read yourself! Show them that reading is fun! Give them GOOD books, and don't try to stuff boring didactic stuff down their throats. Realize that they'll have different tastes - I LOVED reading, I was a huge bookworm, and in comparison my siblings paled! But they still like reading too.
akhan
Bro

« Reply #15 on: Apr 09, 2013 02:11 AM »

I have a lot of alternatives in mind and a roadmap to making them effective inshallah.

Yea I loved reading too, still do but my siblings probably don't. They did when they were little but now, one of them plays video games all day, another one tries her hand at cooking and hairstyling and the other one can't live without her soap operas and friends Angry

Btw, as much as I disagree with my parents over marriage issues, there's no way I can desist from giving them credit for making me love reading. I could read with ease for as long as I remember. I used to go to a play school and they used to teach us the alphabet and I found that boring coz I could read and write already. There's no way that could've happened if my parents hadn't worked on me. May Allah preserve and protect them and keep them in good health.
timbuktu

Reputation Power: 4
timbuktu has no influence :(

« Reply #16 on: Jun 13, 2013 10:47 AM »

Salaam

Respect for the written or printed word, particularly the Quran, is memed into us from childhood, which is good.

But have you seen how these copies are transported to bookshops.

I saw, and thought about it, and concluded that while we must do our utmost to observe the outward respect as well as the inner one, we shouldn't worry too much if the task looks formidable.

wallahu alam
peace
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Jun 19, 2013 01:18 PM »

luckily I  do not have to transport anything now........I am staying right here Smiley
akhan
Bro

« Reply #18 on: Jun 20, 2013 09:17 AM »

oh wow that's great news Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: