// Qibla
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “I have often reflected upon the new vistas that reading opened to me. I knew right there in prison that reading had changed forever the course of my life. As I see it today, the ability to read awoke in me some long dormant craving to be mentally alive.” Malcolm X quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Qibla  (Read 282 times)
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 79
Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« on: Apr 13, 2013 07:04 PM »

Assalamu Alaikum!

Ummm this is a very basic question but I've recently realized that apparently there are two ways of determining the qibla?? One which determines the shortest distance to Makkah, and one which just uses the normal world map...and I've been using the second one my whole life, that's the one that my qibla finders always use.

How do I know which direction to pray when there are two methods?  Huh?
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2013 01:27 AM »

Huh? It's always the shortest distance n the world is round!! In n America it's always north east!
Nature
Sis

Reputation Power: 79
Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)Nature has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2013 02:47 AM »

I'm sorry, I feel very confused! So apparently I've been praying to the North-East (the correct qibla) - but today I checked the qibla online rather than on my app as usual, and I found two sites which point in completely different directions!

http://qiblahfinder.com/ (This one measures it as a straight line across the Normal world map to Makkah - so it's south east...)

http://www.qiblalocator.com/ (and this one shows the North-East like you said...)
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2013 04:48 AM »

There is a hadith that says what is between East and West is Qibla (for places North of South of Mecca) implying that it doesnt necessarily have to be the shortest distance. For me the best thing is to find out where the majority of the Muslims in the city or town face.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
islamicsocks

Reputation Power: 10
islamicsocks has no influence :(

[Banned]

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2013 08:50 AM »

Qibla is towards Makkah.
Smiley
It is only to the East when you are towards the west of it. If you live in UAE it would be to the west.
If you live in Yemen it is towards the north. If you live in Syria it is South.

If you don't know the direction, invest in a compose. they are not very expensive. I bought a really good one from the £1 shop.
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2013 12:00 PM »

Noth-east from north america?? Huh? Surely south east?

love how in certain hotels,they have a sign to show where qiblah is,mashaAllah...

slm
S
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2013 06:50 PM »

Noth-east from north america?? Huh? Surely south east?

Yes, for this experiment you need a piece of string and a globe!! and then it's easier to see it! There's an interesting app that can help you do this here:

http://moonsighting.com/qibla.html

In other interesting, but weird tidbits, in the 1960s there was this cultlike-muslimish group that insisted on praying south east and said everyone who didn't wasn't muslim etc!!

More info:
Code:
Question: What is correct Qibla direction from North America, North-East or South-East? Some people show on the flat map that Qibla should be South-East.

Answer: Earth is NOT flat as some people still believe. No one can give them knowledge except Allah. But those who ponder on this have clearly seen that the earth is approximately round. Earth's shadow on moon is visible at Moon Eclipse, and it is always round. Other proofs of roundness are observations; when a sailing- away ship is seen on the horizon for a distance it vanishes slowly going below horizon, etc.
For Qibla direction, when people debate the direction for North America as being North-East or South-East, the problem is lack of understanding that the earth is not flat so you should not look at flat map. The round earth gives a different perspective. If you look at the globe then may be you will see that the direction from Alaska to Makkah is due North, although Makkah is South of Alaska. If there were a minaret over Ka'bah that was so high that it reaches the sky, then you could see it from Nova Scotia and it would be in North-East direction. In fact the sun comes approximately overhead above Ka'bah on two dates every year. That is like a minaret over ka'bah. Read about it on my Qibla direction page
And you will understand the correct direction of Qibla, from North America in general is North-East, except on North-west corner of USA and Alaska where Qibla is almost North.
Question: Some people talk about shortest distance concept about Qibla. What do you have to say about that?

Answer: If you go to Masjid-al-Haram in Makkah, you will see that people make circles around Ka'bah when they pray. These circles continue to grow as you go farther and farther from Ka'bah. Every person on these circles is facing toward the shortest distance from Ka'bah. Imagine this circle growing and growing on the surface of the globe. Every person on these circles is actually located on another circle called Great Circle defined by the largest circle you get if you cut the globe by a knife in two equal halves, such that the knife cuts through the location of that person and Makkah. The plane of this Great Circle makes an angle from True North. This is the angle you should turn to face Ka'bah. Renouned Muslim astronomers like al-Biruni, al-Battani, and others in the last 1000 years have described this concept.
Question: If we keep going west from Makkah we pass over Africa then the Atlantic ocean then we arrive at Florida. Doesn't it make sense in this case for Qibla to be EAST. (Dec 5,1997)

Answer: No, my dear brother. If you keep on going exactly west, you will also eventually come to India. Would you still face East? No because from India, Muslims face West. So, Qibla can not be deduced from how you travel. The best way to understand is, that we know that two times a year, the sun comes exactly over Ka'bah at Makkah noon time on May 28, and July 16. If you can see the sun at those two dates at Makkah noon time converted to your local time, you will actually be seeing a very high minaret, if there were any, over Ka'bah. Wouldn't you face towards it? This observation has been made by Muslims all over the world and that is the correct direction of Qibla. Observation like this from Nova Scotia has been made and confirmed that Qibla from there is North-East. May Allah help you understand and search for the truth, without any bias.
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2013 07:25 PM »

Wow. Very interesting
islamicsocks

Reputation Power: 10
islamicsocks has no influence :(

[Banned]

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2013 07:33 PM »

Interesting?
I thought everyone knew the Earth was round.
At least I did.
I belong to the round Earth society.
We are a cult that propagates the idea that the earth is spherical.
We are currently a very small organisation. Consisting of just me and my inner self.
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013 07:10 PM »

Take a globe, and use a piece of string to join your city and Makkah (shortest distance). You'll see it's northeast from North America!
timbuktu

Reputation Power: 4
timbuktu has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2013 07:33 AM »

[salam]
Interesting?
I thought everyone knew the Earth was round.
At least I did.
I belong to the round Earth society.
We are a cult that propagates the idea that the earth is spherical.
We are currently a very small organisation. Consisting of just me and my inner self.

If you could just change that "spherical" to "orange like", you could count me in your society, too.
JustOne
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2013 07:39 AM »

Timbuktu???!!!!

How are you? My parents left Islamabad 2 years ago but did pop over to your place beforehand. No answer though.

Hope all is well. My prayers with you and your family...
timbuktu

« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2013 07:55 AM »

Salam

Sorry, that your parents missed me. Where are they now?

You know it could have been anything. The loadshedding, which would have meant the doorbell wouldn't have sounded.

I am often alone during the day. Wife is at work, and sometimes I go out for daily necessities.

And maybe I was at Karachi, visiting siblings.

How is your family? What is the little one doing these days?
JustOne
Sis

« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2013 08:08 AM »

Wasalaam...

They were in Canada for a year, but for the time being have settled in Karachi. 

Little oneSS, I now have 3 alhamdulillah. Hands full.

Please keep in touch!

timbuktu

« Reply #14 on: Jun 13, 2013 10:31 AM »

That is nice, although I can imagine how busy they must make you.
I should not hijack this thread.  Please go over to my introduction to tell me how your parents are doing. Your father 's heart surgery was successful,  if I remember correctly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: