// Boston
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: I wonder where Bart is, his dinner's getting all cold... and eaten. - Homer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston  (Read 1430 times)
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #50 on: Apr 20, 2013 01:47 AM »

Just saw on Twitter...he's alive and in custody after hanging out in a boat apparently...

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #51 on: Apr 20, 2013 01:48 AM »

Yeah, so freaky seeing the twitter accounts...people started tweeting and spreading them...up into the 1000s.

Oh wow, Sis J - awesome idea! Bless you!

BABA
 desibro

tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« Reply #52 on: Apr 20, 2013 01:50 AM »

Networks are reporting that the second suspect is alive (probably wounded) and in custody
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #53 on: Apr 21, 2013 10:31 AM »

How's the situation over in the us now? I heard a few sisters were harassed and a man beaten in NYC. Are things calming down or worse?
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #54 on: Apr 21, 2013 05:28 PM »

Those incidents happened early on before Friday as you probably...haven't heard of any new reports as of yet....we had police protection (two cars in the lot and increased presence in the area) at Jumu'ah...(not usual for us...I heard in other bigger cities, it is present each Jumu'ah).

BABA

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #55 on: Apr 26, 2013 11:57 AM »

Good article:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2013/0425/Boston-bombing-US-Muslims-react-with-fear-frustration-and-new-resolve

Boston bombing: US Muslims react with fear, frustration, and new resolve

While Muslim Americans have condemned the Boston bombing, there's also been frustration with the perceived need to explain and apologize for the suspects. Some are emphasizing increased engagement by mosques.
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #56 on: Apr 27, 2013 07:45 PM »

Still have to read that article, but saw it floating around....there has been discussion on NPR as well....to those that have heard of her - what do the sisters think of Asra Nomani? She was on NPR with Dalia Mogahed and was spewing her rhetoric...I know we have issues, but just something off about she goes about it...I can post the link if anyone is interesting in listening.

BABA
 desibro

PS My apologies for having started that other thread, should have just continued this thread when the news shooting at MIT broke. Any way you can use your Jannah.org magic Sis J, to merge them or is it too late (or maybe just delete that thread?)?

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #57 on: Apr 28, 2013 01:17 AM »

Looking at the negative things that occurred in the aftermath -

5 dumbest things said about the Boston Marathon Explosions: Fox News, Asra Nomani, (some) Republicans http://omidsafi.religionnews.com/2013/04/27/5-dumbest-things/

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #58 on: Apr 28, 2013 10:36 PM »

Yes I'll merge the threads... Asra Nomani ...major issues with her viewpoints of course. Also have an issue with people like her, who are complete lay people, telling US and non-Muslims what islam says.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #59 on: Apr 29, 2013 09:57 AM »

A great response to Asra Nomani and other self-hating 'Muslims' like her!!!

http://omidsafi.religionnews.com/2013/04/28/open-letter-to-asra-nomani-enabling-islamophobia/
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #60 on: Apr 29, 2013 09:35 PM »

Ma'sha'allah (ooops, sorry Asra, am I a radical now???) that was AWESOME! Well articulated by Omid....and how cool is it that he de-friended her! BOOM!  Grin

BABA
 desibro

sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #61 on: Apr 29, 2013 10:43 PM »

And you know what? The most agonizing problem of the Muslim Ummah of this period is lack of respect to knowledge and scholars. Everyone now wants be heard.

I was (shocked) when I read that article of Asra where she said some pages of the Qur'an need to be torn (I then knew she's not to be taken seriously). There are a lot of people like her at either extremes (fundamentalists and secularists) who think they are authority and can speak on behalf of Muslims.

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #62 on: Apr 30, 2013 02:18 PM »

Yes, so true bro Sadah. That is the root of our problem and all of these things are our symptoms!!
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #63 on: Apr 30, 2013 04:15 PM »

Yes, nicely said Br. Sadah....

Here is another nice piece on Asra Nomani and the "The Muslim Problem"

The Muslim Problem

by Belén Fernández
The Muslim community has been continuously reminded by the media since 9/11 that the primary duty of an acceptable Muslim is to continuously condemn the behavior of a tiny minority of coreligionists.[/i]

An April 23 Washington Post headline declares: “Muslims have a problem. Uncle Ruslan may have the answer.”

The protagonist of the article is Ruslan Tsarni, the uncle of the suspected Boston Marathon bombers. The article’s author is former Wall Street Journal reporter Asra Nomani, one of a contingent of Muslims hawking an “indigenous” legitimization of Islamophobia.

In a 2012 dispatch for The Daily Beast titled “Why NYPD Monitoring Should Be Welcome News to U.S. Muslims,” Nomani affirms her longstanding commitment to the New York City Police Department’s racial profiling and spying practices:

Last year, I argued: profile me. This year, I say, too: monitor me. Indeed, just as we need to track the Colombian community for drug trafficking and the Ku Klux Klan for white extremists, I believe we should monitor the Muslim community because we sure don’t police ourselves enough.

Among the many problems with this sort of logic is that, while the vast majority of KKK members are by definition “white extremists,” the majority of Muslims and Colombians are not criminals. The dangers of sanctioning selective targeting are underscored by the fact that the NYPD’s “monitoring” efforts have been known to involve informants who actively encourage Muslim individuals to undertake terrorist acts.

Good Muslim, Bad Muslim

In the introductory paragraph to Nomani’s Washington Post piece, Tsarni is described as “str[iding] down the driveway of his Federalist-style home… in Montgomery Village, Md., an upper middle-class Washington, D.C. suburb,” clad in “Reef flip flops, blue jeans and a Calvin Klein polo shirt.”  His front yard boasts “purple wisteria,” while “pink tulips” flourish across the street.

The emphasis on the all-American setting, complete with cheery floral décor, sets Tsarni up as a noble foil for his ethnic cohorts. Recounting her own participation in Tsarni’s outdoor press conference, Nomani writes:

As an American Muslim who has watched the radicalization of Muslims from Louisville, Ky., to Chatanooga, Tenn., to Chechnya, the ancestral ethnicity of the alleged bombers, over the last three decades, I had one question on my mind.

I asked softly: ‘Is your family Muslim?’

The question was one other journalists later admitted to me that they wondered but didn’t dare ask, the proverbial elephant in the room.

Nomani lists previous examples of alleged Islam-induced terrorism such as the case of US Army Major Nidal Hasan, charged with the 2009 murder of 13 people at Fort Hood and portrayed as a jihadist in the supposedly cautious US press.

According to a BBC News profile of Hasan, however, his “commitment to the [U.S.] army may have been broken by his opposition to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan—and by plans to deploy him to a war zone.” The profile cites reports that Hasan suffered harassment in the military for being of Middle Eastern descent and that he was “affected by injuries he saw at the Walter Reed Medical Army Center, where he worked until recently as a psychiatrist treating troops returning from combat.”

Of no concern to the likes of Nomani, of course, is the global context of destructive US militarism or its exacerbating effects on the so-called Muslim “problem.”

Co-ethnic Condemnation

Elated by Tsarni’s decree that his nephews’ alleged act “put a shame on the entire Chechnyan ethnicity,” Nomani exhorts Muslims to “learn an important lesson from Tsarni: It’s time to acknowledge the dishonor of terrorism within our communities.”

In other words — as the Muslim community has been continuously reminded by the media since 9/11 — the primary duty of an acceptable Muslim is to continuously condemn the behavior of a tiny minority of coreligionists, thereby bogging down their community in a never-ending cycle of negative self-identification and political weakness.

“Problems” not requiring co-ethnic condemnation or self-reflection meanwhile apparently include recurring events like massacres of US schoolchildren, bomb attacks on wedding parties in Afghanistan, and material and financial support for the Israeli slaughter of Palestinian and Lebanese civilians.

Referencing Tsarni’s comment to the Associated Press that his elder nephew had “started all this religious talk, ‘Insh’allah’ [God willing] and all that,” Nomani muses:

What Tsarni is admitting is something true but politically incorrect to talk about: the increasing use of these phrases of religiosity are code inside the community for someone who is becoming hardcore. It doesn’t mean that they’re becoming violent or criminal, but it’s a red flag.

The NYPD and similar outfits will presumably have their hands even fuller now that one of the mainstays of conversational Arabic, Turkish, and various other languages has been promoted to “red flag.” According to the warped calculations of Nomani and her ilk, institutionalized discrimination and alienation will at least help solve the Muslim “problem.”

Muslims do indeed have a problem. And Nomani is part of it.

http://jacobinmag.com/2013/04/the-muslim-problem/

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #64 on: Apr 30, 2013 10:02 PM »

Article from Nida Khan (New York City-based freelance journalist, Huff Post blogger) -

American Muslims must fight stereotypes, suspicion together
Opinion
by Nida Khan | April 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Whenever I tell people that I’m Muslim, they usually have a look of bewilderment about them.  ‘But … you don’t cover your hair’ is a common response, as is ‘you’re so modern though,’ and my personal favorite: ‘well, what exactly are you?’ The notion of what constitutes as Muslim is a fascinating one both to non-Muslims and within the larger Islamic community itself.

It wasn’t long after the horrendous attacks on 9/11 that many Muslims who didn’t wear a hijab (headscarf), or any traditional garb felt the need to earnestly separate themselves from the Muslims who did. Further marginalizing those who were on the conservative end of the spectrum, some Muslims hoped to present themselves as somehow more American than those who may pray five times a day or attend the mosque on a regular basis.  Primarily out of fear as hate crimes against Muslims and those perceived to be Muslim skyrocketed in the aftermath of that tragic day, and have only increased in subsequent years, these individuals created a false sense of security against the permeating backlash.

The ‘othering’ of Muslims

Though it’s rarely discussed, Muslims in America contributed to the ‘othering’ of Muslims in America. And yet, as media coverage of Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the two accused perpetrators of the horrific Boston Marathon bombings makes clear, Muslims who have assimilated well in the West are now just as suspect as the rest.

Since identified by law enforcement as the apparent culprits, the lives of Tamerlan and Dzhokhar have been extensively parsed, as have the lives of those closest to them — and understandably so. However, prior to any definitive confirmation from authorities, most outlets had already branded them as ‘Islamic terrorists’ and focused on some sort of international connection.

While the possibility of co-conspirators or deeper layers of this incident are still very real and are currently under investigation, the framing of this story has already proved troubling. Continuously juxtaposing their actions with Islam, many networks and print outlets implicated a religion with 1.5 billion-plus followers along with the brothers.

Pundits discussed when and how Tamerlan became more religious, going so far as to highlighting the moment he went from praying once a day to five times a day, as if praying five times a day itself constitutes some sort of wrongdoing.  They spoke of his alleged attempts to convert an FBI agent to Islam, as if converting someone to Islam itself is equal to recruiting someone to terrorism.  They even scrutinized Tamerlan’s widow, continuously creating the narrative that she was a normal all-American girl who started covering her hair, as if covering one’s hair makes one automatically distrustful.  And then some political figures, like former Rep. Joe Walsh, went so far as to openly state that we need to profile our enemy:  ‘young Muslim men,’ while others, like Rep. Louie Gohmert, argued that ‘radical Islamists’ are ‘being trained to come in and act like Hispanics,’ and the always reliable Rep. Peter King suggested that Muslims should just flat out be put under surveillance.

Anti-Muslim hatred hits new heights

In other words, whether you have a long beard and travel overseas, or you’re an MC that just placed the final touches on your latest track, if you have a Muslim-sounding name or Islamic roots, you’re now guilty before proven innocent. The power of images, the way in which stories are framed and the verbiage used by both our media and politicians have far reaching implications for all Americans.  It’s this power that sold us the Iraq war under false pretenses, allowed for the indefinite detention of many without trial, justified warrantless wiretapping and all kinds of intrusions of privacy, created overreaching laws like the Patriot Act and the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), allowed unchecked use of drones around the world and incited enough suspicion of our fellow Americans that even in 2010, anti-Muslim hate crimes soared by 50 percent.

Let me be clear: Muslims, like all Americans, condemn the tragedy in Boston and want any (and all) perpetrators to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.  The killing of innocents cannot be tolerated anywhere, and Muslims – who are the largest victims of terrorism worldwide – mourn the loss and injury of their fellow Americans and international attendees who suffered during the Boston bombings.  But in the process of investigating this awful incident and preventing future ones, we cannot fall into the trap of fear mongering, scapegoating and hysteria.

Following last Monday’s attack, The New York Post misidentified a Saudi national as a suspect, and later plastered the faces and names of two other innocent young men on its front cover with the caption ‘BAG MEN:  Feds Seek These Two Pictured at Boston Marathon.’ A Muslim woman in the Boston area was reportedly attacked by a man who yelled ‘F*** you Muslims!’ while punching her in the shoulder.  A man of Bangladeshi background was apparently beaten by a group of men in the Bronx in an apparent Boston bombing ‘revenge attack.’

We cannot let the inexcusable actions of a few condemn millions in the United States, and billions around the world.

Now to my fellow Muslims:  whether you consider yourself devout or barely practicing, it’s important that we don’t separate ourselves along those lines.  Too often, whether it be out of fear or for selfish reasons, we don’t speak up when we see others being targeted unfairly.  Many times, we say to ourselves, ‘oh good thing I don’t cover my hair,’ or ‘good thing I don’t hang out with Muslims like that.’

We cannot allow going to the mosque, covering one’s hair or any other religious practice (by any faith for that matter) to be the means by which one is tried in the court of public opinion and/or in a court of law.  While we stand with others in solidarity against the attack in Boston, we must simultaneously stand with others against hate crimes and protect the very liberties that are a bedrock of this great country – freedom of religion and freedom of expression.

Unfortunately, many still have an inaccurate representation of what a Muslim looks like.  Contrary to the images we often receive, most Muslims are actually non-Arab, and represent all the varying stripes of society.  Muslims have been in the U.S. since the days of slavery (some argue even before.)  Many were shocked to learn that Tamerlan and Dzhokhar could be both Caucasian and Muslim, as evidenced by CNN’s search for a ‘dark-skinned male’ with ‘a possible accent.’

A diverse collective

Muslims are a diverse collective representing all kinds of socio-economic, racial and ethnic backgrounds.  There are Muslim lawyers, politicians, rappers, doctors, journalists, NBA players, football stars, mechanics, nurses, teachers, business owners and many, many others from all facets of life.  It’s not OK to change our names with the hopes of deflecting negative unwarranted attention, and it’s not OK to look the other way when we see someone being discriminated against because of some perceived notion. As a wise person once said to me, Muslims are as wide-ranging as the human race itself.

The time to stop hiding in the shadows might be now, because as coverage over the past few days shows, even those westernized ones just might be guilty before proven innocent. While the nation continues to heal and hold those responsible for the Boston tragedy accountable, everyone should simultaneously denounce any backlash we see regardless of our own background — even if that be one of atheism.  Because as Martin Niemoller’s adage warns, we don’t want to be the ones left without anyone to speak up for us.

Nida Khan is a freelance writer based in New York. Follow her on Twitter at @NidaKhanNY

http://thegrio.com/2013/04/28/being-muslim-means-fighting-suspicion/

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2013 05:35 AM »

Wow, just seeing breaking news that Saudi had warned US in writing about the elder brother...major intelligence fail....

Saudis developed intelligence separately from Russia, which also warned the U.S. about the accused Boston bomber
A letter to the Department of Homeland Security named Tsarnaev and three Pakistanis as potential jihadis worthy of U.S. investigation
Red flags from Saudi Arabia included Tsarnaev's name and information about a planned explosive attack on a major U.S. city
Saudi foreign minister, national security chief both met with Obama in the oval office in early 2013

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317493/BOMBSHELL-Saudi-Arabia-warned-United-States-IN-WRITING-Tamerlan-Tsarnaev-2012-rejected-application-entry-visa-visit-Mecca-2011.html#ixzz2S0nQMn00

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2013 05:18 PM »

Interesting news about Saudi, I see it hasn't been picked up by any other news agencies Sad  Thought this was interesting, these guys had major problems with the mainstream mosque, no surprise there of course!! http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/muslim-leaders-sought-negotiate-accused-bombers-peaceful-surrender/story?id=19023066#.UYPik2d63Tr
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2013 11:47 PM »

OK, I came across someone who thinks the victims/injured people were actors and the blood fake....a young Muslim boy of 15...this sickens me....and he sent me a video, which I didn't watch that was asking these questions/raising doubts...I'm sorry, but anyone who believes that is just as brain-washed as those two brothers were....yes, I unfollowed/blocked this person...who even had "Free Johar" as part of his twitter handle...maybe I'm the only one who feels this way...but it's from my gut, maybe that will change I don't' know...but at first impression that is just ridiculous.

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2013 02:27 AM »

Boston suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev carefully masked his dark side
MICHAEL WINES AND IAN LOVETT
CAMBRIDGE, MASS. — The New York Times News Service
Published Sunday, May. 05 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
Last updated Sunday, May. 05 2013, 9:55 AM EDT

On the day after two bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev tapped out an early-afternoon text message to a classmate at the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth. Want to hang out? he queried. Sure, his friend replied.

In Boston, the police and the FBI were mounting investigations that would end three days later with Tsarnaev’s capture and his brother’s death. On that Tuesday afternoon, however, he lounged in his friend’s apartment for a couple of hours, trying to best him in FIFA Soccer on a PlayStation. That night he worked out at a campus gym.

On Thursday afternoon, he ate with friends at a dormitory grill. By early Friday, he was the target of the largest dragnet in Massachusetts history.

To even his closest friends, Tsarnaev was a smart, athletic 19-year-old with a barbed wit and a laid-back demeanor, fond of soccer and parties, all too fond of marijuana. They seldom, if ever, saw his second, almost watertight life: his disintegrating family, his overbearing brother, the gathering blackness in his most private moments.

There were glimpses. But Tsarnaev was a master of concealment. “I have had almost two weeks to think about it, and it still makes no more sense than the day I found out it was him,” Jason Rowe, Tsarnaev’s freshman roommate, said in an interview. “Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.”

Tsarnaev now lies in a prison medical facility, charged by federal authorities with using a weapon of mass destruction – the bombs, packed with explosives extracted from fireworks – that killed three people and wounded more than 260 others on April 15. In the face of compelling evidence, many friends still find it hard to believe that the teenager they knew – the “cool guy,” the “great student” with a “heart of gold,” the kid who “would not provoke violence” – could willfully commit such an atrocity.

There were oblique signs, however, that the gulf between the private and the public person was widening. Between raunchy jokes and posts about girls and cars on Twitter, Tsarnaev described terrifying nightmares about murder and destruction. In the last year, he alluded to disaffection with his American life and the American mindset.

And as the date of the marathon drew close, he dropped cryptic hints of a plan of action, and the righteousness of an unspoken cause.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was born in July 1993 in the former Soviet republic of Kyrgyzstan, the youngest of four children in a family that roamed for decades across the Caucasus and central Asia, looking for a stable home.

He spoke only broken English in 2002 when his father, Anzor, an ethnic Chechen, brought him to Massachusetts from the mostly Muslim region of Dagestan in Russia, eventually winning asylum by claiming political persecution. By the time he entered Cambridge Rindge and Latin School in 2007, however, he spoke with barely a trace of an accent, blending seamlessly into a student body that was a melange of immigrants and American-born students of all colors.

By all accounts, he thrived there. Jahar, as his fellow students called him – the rough pronunciation of his Caucasian name, adopted as his nickname – became a star student, winning a $2,500 (U.S.) scholarship upon his graduation in 2011. He loved literature and world history, particularly studies of his former homelands.

In his sophomore year, he joined the school’s wrestling team as a novice and quickly grew so strong and skillful, one teammate said, that he could take down even coaches. His teammates say they looked up to him as a teacher and motivator. “We’d be running stairs for hours,” said another, Zeaed Abu-Rubieh, now 21. “Every time I’d stop, when I was thinking about leaving, he’d push me forward, physically push me. And he was strong. He’d say: ‘Go on. Run. You can do it.’ He believed in people.”

His teammates eventually voted him captain. One of the coaches, Peter Payack, said he deserved it. Despite the draining four-hour daily practice and trips at sunrise to weekend meets, he said, Tsarnaev maintained his academic record and proved a model of good sportsmanship and steady temperament.

“You always see people’s personality traits over the course of a season,” he said. “If somebody is short-tempered, if they lose a match, maybe they throw a chair. There’s somebody who’s moody, or like a loner. He was none of those things.

“After a match, there’s a prime opportunity to be mad, to say the ref robbed you. He just accepted what was done. If he lost a match, he’d put his arms out: ‘Well, I tried my best.’ And when he won, he’d pump his fist, both fists at head level: ‘Yeah, I won!’ But it was never anything excessive.” As with almost everyone, however, Payack’s relationship with Tsarnaev went so far, and no further.

Tsarnaev was a skilled deflector of curiosity about his personal affairs. He rarely talked about his background except to say that he was Chechen or had lived in Russia. He was popular – “he had a lot of girls hitting on him,” said Junes Umarov, 18, a close friend who is also of Chechen descent – but even other close friends could not say whether he had a girlfriend. Almost no one knew anything about his family beyond a few brief sightings of his older brother, Tamerlan.

Every year, the Rindge and Latin wrestling team asks each senior to bring a relative to the last match of the year to walk onto the gym floor, receive a flower and snap a picture. Cambridge has its share of broken families and work-at-night parents; wrestlers can struggle to find the right person.

On the night of Tsarnaev’s last match, Payack said, “one of the coaches walked him out. No father, no brother, nothing.” Few were granted a peek at Tsarnaev’s other life. But what little they saw was revealing.

Umarov has known Tsarnaev since 2004, shortly after his family came to the United States. Young Dzhokhar sometimes stayed at his home for weeks during summers, goofing around with Junes and his siblings.

Visits to the Tsarnaev household were different. “Every time we went to Dzhokhar’s house, his brother would make us work, do a bunch of push-ups, get us in shape, because we were staying inside playing video games all day,” Umarov said. “His brother never gave him wrong advice. So he looked up to his brother.” A second Chechen friend since boyhood, 18-year-old Baudy Mazaev, said that the older brother and their mother, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, “had a deep religious epiphany” about two or three years ago. At the time, Tamerlan’s new devotion only irritated Dzhokhar, he said.

During one visit about two years ago, he said, Tamerlan ordered him and Dzhokhar to sit and forced the two teenagers to read a book about the fundamentals of Islam and prayer. After that, he said, they began avoiding the apartment.

“He’d say: ‘Let’s not go to my house. Tamerlan will just make us read,’” he said. “And he was a big dude, so we kind of had to listen to him.”

During one exchange of text messages, he said, Dzhokhar indicated that Tamerlan was in the apartment with him. When Mazaev was slow to reply, he added: “Hey, stop ignoring me. Come back. Don’t make me suffer alone.” Yet the conversion did not seem to diminish him in his younger brother’s eyes.“I know he respected him as the elder, especially once his father went to Russia,” Mazaev said. “He was his older brother and the only male of the house, so he was more dependent on him.” While the younger brother prayed daily during lunch breaks at Rindge and Latin, and at least on occasion in his university dormitory, he never appeared especially devout, even telling one teacher, “I’m really not into that.” Up to his arrest, he drank and smoked marijuana – more marijuana than most high school or college students, friends said – despite what he said was Tamerlan’s clear disapproval.

The Dzhokhar that Mazaev and Umarov were allowed to see – in Umarov’s case, as recently as March – was the same Dzhokhar they had known for a decade.

Inside, however, some things were changing.

In February, 2011, roughly when the boys’ mother embraced Islam, she separated from her husband, Anzor, a tough man trained in the law in Russia who was reduced in Cambridge to fixing cars in a parking lot. The two divorced that September, and Anzor returned to Russia, followed later by his ex-wife.

Tamerlan filled the void as head of the family’s American branch. On Twitter, Dzhokhar wrote that he missed his father.

That and other comments on his Twitter account, opened in October, 2011, shortly after he arrived as a freshman at the University of Massachusetts, sometimes revealed a young man more troubled and blunt-spoken than he seemed in person.

In college Tsarnaev’s grades plummeted, even as he boasted online of skipping classes and receiving a test “with all the answers on it.” He wrote of plagues of nightmares, three “zombie apocalypse” dreams in July and two in December, one of which depicted the end of the world. In February, he wrote,“I killed Abe Lincoln during my two hour nap #intensedream.” He gained U.S. citizenship on Sept. 11, 2012, “and he was pretty excited about it,” said his first-year dorm mate, Rowe. Yet the previous March, he had written “a decade in america already, I want out,” followed in April by “how I miss my homeland #dagestan #chechnya.” And days before his citizenship ceremony, he expressed wonder at why more people did not realize that the 2001 attack on the World Trade Center “was an inside job.” That and other comments hint at a defensiveness about the confluence of Islam and terrorism that was odd for a young man who earlier had said he was “not into that.” Yet both those and later, darker posts – “If you have the knowledge and inspiration all that’s left is to take action,” he wrote a week before the bombings – look foreboding only in retrospect.

As does Tsarnaev.

Just a year ago, he had been hoping to become an engineer and worried about his grades, according to Sanjaya Lamichhane, who was on the wrestling team with Tsarnaev in high school and also attended college with him.

But as April began, Tsarnaev apparently declared that he no longer cared. After Tsarnaev emerged as a suspect in the bombing, Lamichhane said, a mutual friend from the University of Massachusetts recounted his last conversation with Tsarnaev, two weeks before the marathon. Tsarnaev told their friend, “God is all that matters. It doesn’t matter about school and engineering,” Lamichhane said. “He said, ‘When it comes to school and being an engineer, you can cheat easily. But when it comes to going to heaven, you can’t cheat.’” He declined to name the mutual friend, who he said did not want to speak to reporters.

Payack, the wrestling coach, has run 12 Boston Marathons. His love of the race is a given among his wrestlers.

Early this year, Tsarnaev unexpectedly returned to his high school, wrestling shoes in hand, to grapple with the team.

“We’re all laughing; everyone’s pulling his hair and saying, ‘You ought to do cornrows,’” Payack said. “Eight weeks later, he blows up the marathon. Why would he embrace us if he wants to blow us up?”

On April 15, Payack was more than a block from the finish line, hurrying to watch his son complete the race when the first bomb went off. He still has difficulty hearing in one ear.

One night, exactly one month before that, Tsarnaev appeared at Umarov’s home in Chelsea, not far from Cambridge, with a friend. They carried a load of fireworks. The three chatted about college over burgers at a Five Guys restaurant and then headed for Admiral’s Hill, a former Navy barracks on the waterfront, to set off the fireworks: pinwheels, Roman candles and other largely innocuous types.

Then they went home. “That’s the last time I saw Dzhokhar,” Umarov said.

The afternoon of April 15, Tsarnaev’s other Chechen friend Mazaev received a text message from him. The marathon had been bombed, and the city was in chaos.

“Yo buddy are yu ok man?” Tsarnaev asked.

“Two bombs went off,” Mazaev replied. “People losing limbs.” “Yeah man we good mashallah,” Tsarnaev wrote back, using an Arabic phrase often spoken upon hearing good news. “I automatically thought of yu man Boston and what not.” Mazaev replied, “It’s crazy I was bouta go watch that with friends but slept through it today.” The response: “Alrighty man stay safe my man, keep in touch.” Four days later, with Tamerlan dead and Dzhokhar on the run, Mazaev tapped out another message on his iPhone: “Jahar man if u can read this just turn urself in for the sake of ur parents. Ull be so much safer there’s no reason for all of this just do it for everyone’s sake,” it read in part. “DON’T MAKE IT ANY WORSE.” Tsarnaev never replied.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/boston-suspect-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-carefully-masked-his-dark-side/article11720549/?page=all

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2013 03:40 PM »

I just don't like how they're linking this to him (and his mother) becoming all of a sudden "religious", starting to pray 5 times a day and "embracing islam". The dude drank and smoked pot I mean c'mon. It's obvious they had alot of dysfunction issues. This whole article is pretty much based on his twitter feed which I read as well. He's just basically a messed up 19 year old kid who wanted to pretend he was a gangster or make a mark for himself somehow. Nothing to do with Islam or religiousness. The police say he admitted in the hospital he did it for "religion", it just doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like an afterthought. "Why'd you do it?" When it comes down to it, I doubt they even know why they did it.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2013 06:49 PM »

Interesting profile on Imam Suhaib Webb... so true he's called everything from an extremist to a liberal. But I like how the article is more nuanced than most discussing some of the issues surrounding him and us.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/05/11/imam-william-suhaib-webb-emerges-face-boston-muslim-community-time-crisis/Kd8v0O48vkHSZAnOpYCqOI/story.html

However, I still am really upset that the Boston Globe published the location of the Tsarnev grave. Really, what was the point of that. Just nor responsible journalism at all. It's like they wanted to create more violence/crimes. There was no need for the general public to know and more controversy to come from it.
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2013 06:58 PM »

Somewhere in Virginia, right? Didn't realize that is how it came out.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2013 03:52 AM »

They published the exact address down to the town and where the cemetery was and mentioned it must be one of 4 unmarked graves. Sigh.

Also this: Ridiculous. Funny, but not. Sad

FBI surrounds house of Saudi student following sightings of him with pressure cooker pot, only to find he was cooking rice

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2323316/FBI-surrounds-house-Saudi-student-following-sightings-pressure-cooker-pot-cooking-rice.html#ixzz2T8ZIvJvo
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2013 09:31 AM »

thats ridiculous, which desi house does NOT have a pressure cooker, I make red meat in mine.

I have a rice cooker for rice tho (seriously lazy).

honestly one has to be careful walking around with COOKING POTS!?

Presumably this is only if one is non white.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2013 10:13 PM »

Saw this story...was hoping it WAS just rice..thankfully it was so....someone replied to a tweet about this story and said they got funny looks at the cashier.... Sad

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: