Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Friends, Rumi, countrymen, lend me your poetry.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Applicants wanted for a one-way ticket to Mars  (Read 564 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Apr 17, 2013 01:00 PM »

I thought this was an April Fool's story but it's real!!  Grin

=============================================

So who would do it??? Who would buy a ticket. Anyone watch TerraNova btw? What a great concept and show!!

--

Want to go to Mars? Dutch organisation Mars One says it will open applications imminently. It would be a one-way trip, and the company hopes to build a community of settlers on the planet.

Uncharted waters, mountains or far away lands have always drawn explorers. History books show that desire for adventure, even in the face of extreme danger, did not deter the likes of Columbus or Magellan.

So it is perhaps not surprising that Mars One has already received thousands of prospective applicants. But there is no return - unlike the mission which hopes to fly to Mars and back in 2018.

Future explorers take note. Applicants must be resilient, adaptable, resourceful and must work well within a team. The whole project will be televised, from the reality TV style selection process, to landing and beyond.

On a visit to the BBC's London office, Mars One's co-founder Bas Lansdorp explains why this would be a one-way flight.

During the seven-to-eight month journey, astronauts will lose bone and muscle mass. After spending time on Mars' much weaker gravitational field, it would be almost impossible to readjust back to Earth's much stronger gravity, says Landsorp.

Successful applicants will be trained physically and psychologically. The team will use existing technology for all aspects of the project. Energy will be generated from solar panels, water will be recycled and extracted from soil and the astronauts will grow their own food - they will also have an emergency ration and regular top-ups as new explorers join every two years.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22146456
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2013 03:27 PM »

Had it been without the live telecast, I would've been keen to go, haven't got anything to do on Earth anyway.
peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2013 04:14 PM »

Had it been without the live telecast, I would've been keen to go, haven't got anything to do on Earth anyway.

But you can still get married on earth....there you will not have that chance either....
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2013 04:50 PM »

Can we nominate people?

There's a few I'd like on a different planet to me.

This is not for real, what will happen is a handful of gullible idiots will be convinced they are on mars & spend time in a new style big brother unit for a month, while its broadcast on TV.

Then the big reveal.

But if you're that dumb you should be sent to outer space.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Riat8883
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 25
Riat8883 barely matters :(Riat8883 barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2013 05:49 PM »

I would really love to nominate people in fact I already have 3 in mind whom I would like to see missing on the face of the earth.

But honestly that is madness. Am sure silly as it may sound they'll have thousands maybe even millions of applications.

Akhan I didn't think you would be the 1 to say that.
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2013 06:50 PM »

But you can still get married on earth....there you will not have that chance either....
Why? Did I miss that the mission is only taking men aboard? Imagine, a martian marrying a venusian on mars - typical Indian wedding, the bahu has to go to the husband's house.
Btw, in my current health situation, marriage is a farfetched dream even on earth Tongue
And marriage is not the end goal in life, there are other things to do as well, some more important than marriage. You sound like my mother lol, every bit of advice she gives somehow gets connected to marriage.

Akhan I didn't think you would be the 1 to say that.
I know it's a farce, but had it been real, I really would've been interested. I like crazy adventures, and this one comes with support Grin
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2013 08:05 PM »

You got a partner here bro. I am tired of hearing about violence and if one continues to stay here sooner or later he'll start "seeing" the violence. It will definitely be an exiting adventure.  Wink Should I purchase 2 tickets? Huh? Wink

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
akhan
Bro

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2013 12:14 AM »

Sure!!! Buy them before they're sold out Grin
sadah
Brother
Bro

sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2013 04:30 AM »

Done. Just await the taking off day. Wink

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
akhan
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2013 02:34 PM »

I'm packing my bags Tongue
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2013 02:44 PM »

This is not for real, what will happen is a handful of gullible idiots will be convinced they are on mars & spend time in a new style big brother unit for a month, while its broadcast on TV.

Then the big reveal.

lol that sounds like such a great show! have u seen terranova? i think they show it here on film4 channel

akhan & sadah sorry you're not allowed to go. i must be allowed to attend your weddings!!
akhan
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2013 02:52 PM »

Nobody said you can't visit us for the weddings while we're there. There's no way I'm staying here. Mars, here I come!
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2013 01:07 AM »

100,000 people apply to go to Mars and not return: Project

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/100000-people-apply-to-go-to-Mars-and-not-return-Project/articleshow/21757877.cms

WASHINGTON: More than 100,000 people have applied for a one-way trip to Mars, as a part of the ambitious multi-billion dollar project that aims to colonise the Red planet starting in 2022.

While it remains questionable how humans would be able to survive on Mars, it has not stopped a whopping number of people from signing up for the The Mars One project.

"There is also a very large number of people who are still working on their profile, so either they have decided not to pay the application fee, or they are still making their video or they're still filling out the questionnaire or their resume. So the people that you can see on-line are only the ones that have finished and who have set their profiles as public," said Bas Lansdorp, Mars One CEO and co-founder.

Lansdorp did not specify how many have paid the fees, completed their profiles and configured them as private.

The application process specifies anyone 18 or older may apply, but the fee depends on a user's nationality. For US citizens, the application fee is USD 38, 'CNN' reported.

The company said it sets the price based on the gross domestic product per capita of each nation.

"We wanted it to be high enough for people to have to really think about it and low enough for anyone to be able to afford it," Lansdorp said.

As far as the first crew is concerned, the mission will cost USD 6 billion, Lansdorp said.

He said the idea is for it to be funded by sponsors and media that will pay for broadcasting rights of shows and movies documenting everything from the astronauts' training on Earth to their deployment and colonisation of Mars.

Mars One said, out of the applicants, it will select a multi-continental group of 40 astronauts this year. Four of them - two men and two women - are set to leave for Mars in September 2022, landing in April 2023.

One more group of four will be deployed two years later. None of them will return to Earth, according to the mission plan.

The astronauts will undergo a required eight-year training. They will learn how to repair habitat structures, grow vegetables in confined spaces and address "both routine and serious medical issues such as dental upkeep, muscle tears and bone fractures," according to the project site.

Lansdorp said each lander the project sends will be able to carry about 5,511 pounds of "useful load" to Mars.

Despite the risks of space travel, the Mars One founder said he is convinced of the viability of the project.

However, some space travel experts have said the risks are far too high to carry out these manned missions to Mars, a distance that humans have never travelled.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2013 11:35 AM »

Salam,

It's amazing that people are willing to just go and never come back in hopes for a better life!! Don't think I could do it cuz of family, but maybe if I was alone, and a loner, and a crazy adventurer!!
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #14 on: Aug 14, 2013 01:45 PM »

anybody remember that TV show 'lost in space'?

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2014 01:22 AM »

100,000 applications for a 1-way trip to Mars ??!!!!!

How many were filled out by Muslim women for their husbands?

Fozia, you filled out one for your Ex, didn't you?  Just admit it.
sadah
Brother
Bro

Dont be sad...

« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2014 04:07 AM »

FATWA ON MARS TRAVEL

Gulf imams have issued a Fatwa against Muslims travelling to Mars.

Likening attempts to send astronauts on a one way trip to the Red Planet to suicide, the clerics said no good Muslim could agree to go knowing he would not return.

The ruling was issued by the General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowment (GAIAE), a group of imams in the United Arab Emirates.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/19/mars-muslims-fatwa_n_4815655.html

Meanwhile, elsewhere on the news, CEO of Mars One argues that Muslim world has a long history of exploration, hence:
'Mars One respectfully requests GAIAE to cancel the Fatwa and make the greatest journey of all times open for Muslims too.'

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/02/20/mars-one-to-muslims-end-fatwa-and-come-fly-with-us/

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2014 10:29 AM »

That's almost funny. Did you guys see that movie with Vin Diesel? Where they land on a planet with several moons (the plot itself doesn't come to mind)... They did have a Muslim father/son combo on there.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2014 12:04 PM »

Sis JO is that the Riddick chronicles?

Br Lucid I must admit ex was the inspiration for my sorrowful post that we couldn't just nominate people to go to Mars.

Is that fatwa really necessary are there Muslims who'd be daft enough to sign up? And if there are surely it's evolution, survival of the cleverest the dumb ones are out in space somewhere voluntarily!

akhan
Bro

« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2014 07:00 PM »

Is that fatwa really necessary are there Muslims who'd be daft enough to sign up? And if there are surely it's evolution, survival of the cleverest the dumb ones are out in space somewhere voluntarily!
Evolution is haram too Grin
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2014 07:23 PM »

RiDDDDDIIIIIIICCCCCKKKK!!!!!!!

Can't believe anybody else here saw those movies. The 2nd one is like my all time favorite!

Btw: how many people think some of the ulema who speak about science without knowing anything about science might deserve a 1 way ticket to Mars?

#frustrating
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2014 08:10 PM »

There's a fatwa about this? I like that we have priorities...
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2014 07:54 AM »

Apparently this fatwa is making front page news... (what else is new huh!), but the imams do have a good point. Doing anything that will more than likely result in your death is not allowed in Islam. But as they're trying to create a settlement over there, not sure what the percentage of survival is, hopefully they have plans for taking water and air with them!

Imagine being a pioneer and moving to a new place with a new life, being the first person to build a mosque there. Sounds exciting Smiley

Regardless of your religious creed, there are plenty of reasons not to sign up for the Mars One mission to the Red Planet.

For a start, Mars has no breathable atmosphere and almost no water.

And if you thought the Arctic air blasting across North America this winter was cold, think again. The average temperature on Mars is minus 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

But here’s another reason you may not have considered: Such a journey may be deemed sinful — at least if you are Muslim.

That’s the view of a group of imams in the United Arab Emirates, which has reportedly issued a fatwa against Muslims making the “hazardous trip.”

Likening the mission to suicide, the General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowment said Muslims risked dying for no “righteous reason” and any Muslim making such a foolhardy trip could receive the same punishment as those who killed themselves.

The imams cited various verses of the Koran as evidence that Muslims attempting to start a new life on Mars was out of the question.

“Such a one-way journey poses a real risk to life, and that can never be justified in Islam,” the committee said. 

“There is a possibility that an individual who travels to planet Mars may not be able to remain alive there, and is more vulnerable to death.”

And just in case Muslims thought Mars was remote enough for them to escape punishment, the imams had this to say: “This is an absolutely baseless and unacceptable belief because not even an atom falls outside the purview of Allah, the Creator of everything.”

It is not clear how many Muslims, if any, have made it through to the second round of the selection process for the Mars One mission, which aims to establish a permanent human settlement on the planet by 2025.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2014 08:48 AM »

Which way is Qibla on Mars, anyone know?

and surely if one goes there one of the pillars of Islam falls to the way side, you're never going to perform hajj ever if you go there.

I had no idea evolution was haram in islam, I don't mean the people who think they are descended from monkeys (I know plenty of people who make monkey's look human actually), but those who are stupid being the perpetrators of their own extinction....we have to look out for even the dumb ones?

Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2014 09:02 AM »

You think this is real??

I think there should be clarity on the validity of this trip before people start fighting about who can and cant go and why not.  We have managed to send a few probes to mars, has anyone heard of a person actually setting foot on the planet?  And why would they choose to send civilians to 'settle' there, when highly trained astronauts would be better suited, if at all...

I suppose the ulama have a point.  I just don't see why such fatwas make the news, go viral, and what use are they to anyone?  Have Muslims applied to go? Even if this is a serious venture...

Until more unmanned ships have been sent to collect more data about Mars, I dont think anyone will be going there anytime soon.  Muslim or not...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: