// Tafseer in English
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: 'Work for your terrestrial life in proportion to your location in it, and work for your afterlife in proportion to your eternity in it. - abu Hamid al-Ghazali
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tafseer in English  (Read 5447 times)
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« on: May 06, 2008 04:17 PM »

Salaam..

Can you guys recommend a good English tafseer of the Qur'an.  I would like to make an investment in a set, inshaAllah.

We saw an Ibn-e-Kathir one in a bookstore out here, but it wasn't printed very well.  We want something that is great contentwise, but also something that is durable (as in...hardback).

Also any tips on self-study in the Qur'an will be helpful.

JazakAllah khair

-Wasalaam.
AbdulBasir
Bro

Reputation Power: 8
AbdulBasir has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008 11:10 PM »

salam

Which edition of Tafsir Ibn Kathir was it? I have the abridged 10 volume one published by Dar us-Salaam and its aesthetic quality is good. It's hardback, good paper and very durable. Content wise it's good too, though it has its limitations. The interesting thing about the English version I find is that the direct translation of the verses that are given are probably better than dedicated English translations of the Qur'an.
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008 07:40 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

Is there any other complete tafseer set in English besides that of Ibn Kathir?  I know of a few books on portions of the Quran (In the Shade of the Quran, a translation of a tafseer of the 30th Juz', and Tafseer Surat al-Hujuraat by Dr. Phillips which is actually quite nice), but I can't think of any other complete sets.  If anyone has seen anything out there I'd like to know more about it too Smiley

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008 10:01 PM »

In the Shade of the Quran isn't complete? I always thought that was beautiful and well written. I just used the Ibn Kathir as a reference to look up a few things and it seems good for that.
AbdulBasir
Bro

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008 02:30 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

Is there any other complete tafseer set in English besides that of Ibn Kathir?  I know of a few books on portions of the Quran (In the Shade of the Quran, a translation of a tafseer of the 30th Juz', and Tafseer Surat al-Hujuraat by Dr. Phillips which is actually quite nice), but I can't think of any other complete sets.  If anyone has seen anything out there I'd like to know more about it too Smiley

A few of the recent commentaries from the subcontinent are available in English in full, e.g the full Mawdudi commentary and Maariful Qur'an is another one. As for classical ones, Tafsir al-Jalalayn is available online, but not sure if it's the entire commentary or abridged. Even for Ibn Kathir, they've only released one or two volumes of the unabridged version in English.

salam
se7en
Sis

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008 02:25 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

'In the Shade of the Quran' is a complete tafseer on the entire Quran, but I think only the pt. on the 30th juz' has been translated into English...

About Tafseer Jalalayn - in Arabic it is pretty small (only one volume, while most works of tafseer are usually at least three), I think it only has short explanations of words/phrases right and not so much about the history, ahkaam, etc...  Can you post a link to the English translation?  I'd like to see how it compares to the Arabic.

AbdulBasir
Bro

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008 07:09 PM »

salam

http://www.altafsir.com

It's a very good site mashallah, in multiple languages. And their Arabic selections are more extensive. The English they have also the commentary attributed to Ibn Abbas.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008 11:02 PM »

wsalam,

you can also try this to get a taste of the ibn kathir: http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php
jamilahz
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
jamilahz has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008 04:04 AM »

Just my two cents, I really like the Ibn Kauthir... but you can also try the one that dar us salam puts out
http://www.dar-us-salam.com/store/main.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Dus&Product_Code=Q01&Category_Code=Eng_Quran

sorry for the huge link... its the 9 volume Dr. Muhsin Khan & Taqi-ud-Din Hilali translation.  This happens to be the translation that we use at our Tafsir class at our Masjid.  I like it.

The Prophet said, "The people of my generation are the best, then those who follow them"
se7en
Sis

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008 02:41 PM »

as salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah,

ahem I've been corrected enlightened by my husband that it is probably not correct to say that 'most tafaseer are 3 volumes', there are some that are shorter than that (though they don't have as much detail and focus more on the grammatical structure of the words and their definitions, not on giving a detailed background or description of the rulings derived from the ayaat) and that it depends on the publishers, really, how many volumes it will be... what I was trying to say is that, most of the more well known tafseers, that have the type of information/detail we would expect in a tafseer are much longer than that...  u guys get what I mean right Smiley

thank u come again Smiley

JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008 02:54 PM »

So I purchased the Ibn Kathir...the abridged 10 volume one.  I think the same one that bro AbdulBasir is talking about.

It's easier to read through a hard copy than something online.  You can take notes, and I can take off my glasses Smiley
Ehsan
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
Ehsan has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2008 12:59 PM »

Assalamualaikum,

I tend to use tafsir al jalalayn and Ibn Kathir together - (There is also Qurtubi's tafsir also 1 volume but it is incomplete at the moment).

I have In the Shade of the Quran by Sayyid Qutb, (and yes its incomplete but should inshallah be finished by the end of 2008 so i hear).. out of the three - i quite like tafsir al jalalayn . Just a personal preference. You do need to bear in mind that Jalal ad-Din al-Mahalli 864H the original author passed away before he could complete it, and it was completed by his student  Jalal ad-Din as-Suyuti d. 911H. Its recommended if you want straight forward concise understanding of verses.

INFORMING YOU ABOUT ISLAM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: