// Huge Explosion at Fertilizer Plant near Waco, Texas
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.” Martin Luther King, Jr. quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Huge Explosion at Fertilizer Plant near Waco, Texas  (Read 155 times)
tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« on: Apr 18, 2013 05:24 AM »

The explosion was by a nursing home, and fire fighters were trying to put out a fire at the fertilizer plant before the blast Sad

---

Dozens injured after blast at Texas fertiliser plant

Dozens of people are reported injured and others are trapped in burning buildings after an explosion at a fertiliser plant near Waco in the US state of Texas.

Firefighters, ambulances and six helicopters have been mobilised to deal with the situation.

Several buildings are reported to be on fire, some of them in neighbouring residential areas, KWTX-TV reported.

The blast at the West Fertilizer plant was reported at 19:50 (00:50 GMT).

The Waco Tribune-Herald reported that firefighters had been trying to put out a fire at the plant when the explosion happened, and that some were among those injured.

The blast happened in West, a town of about 2,700 people some 20 miles (32km) north of Waco.

TV images showed streams of emergency vehicles descending on the site and ambulance crews using a nearby sports field as an emergency treatment area.

Glenn A Robinson, chief executive of Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center in Waco, told CNN that his hospital had received 66 injured people including 38 who were seriously hurt.

"An explosion has ignited adjacent structures to the plant," Waco Assistant Fire Chief Don Yeager told AFP news agency.

Unconfirmed reports said a nursing home had collapsed in the explosion and some people were believed trapped inside.

Witness Debby Marak told the Associated Press news agency that she had seen smoke coming from the area near the plant and had driven over to see what was happening.

She said that when she arrived, two boys ran toward her screaming that the authorities had told them to leave because the fertiliser plant was going to explode.

She said she drove a short distance before the blast happened.

"It was like being in a tornado," she said. "Stuff was flying everywhere. It blew out my windshield. It was like the whole earth shook."

Another resident told KWTX-TV that she heard several explosions from 13 miles (20km) away.

"It sounded like three bombs going off very close to us,'' said Lydia Zimmerman.

Texas Governor Rick Perry said in a statement: "We are monitoring developments and gathering information as details continue to emerge about this incident.

"We have also mobilised state resources to help local authorities. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of West, and the first responders on the scene."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22195495
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2013 11:07 AM »

Yikes! Terrorism? Or just accident? Fertilizer is combustible right? Hope everyone in the town is ok. I think se7ens in law relatives live there.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2013 11:42 AM »

It's the gasses realeased from fertilizer that is highly volatile.

going by that article I'd say the fire was the cause of the explosion, if there was already a fire any spark near methane gas is going to go boom (I have rudimentary GCSE science a million years ago so if chemistry has changed since then- very likely, forgive my ignorance)

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2013 02:39 PM »

There was a low intensity blast in Bangalore yesterday. The papers reported it was one of those terrorist plots. Eyewitnesses said that they saw somebody parking a motorbike which then blew up. Luckily no one died, 17 injured. The police has stepped up random checks in hyderabad too and there's a hindu festival around the corner. May Allah safeguard our lives and property.
tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2013 01:51 AM »

I think there are a lot of injured (a least 150 sent to nearby hospitals), and the early death toll accounts have ranged from at least 5 to at least 35 people.

According to the authorities from the town, there is no indication of the fire being a criminal act. But they are going to secure the site as a crime scene just to be on the safe side.

...it could have been even worse as there was a second tank that did not explode. Just the one explosion registered over 2 on the Richter scale  Shocked
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2013 04:48 AM »

Yeah I heard about the Bangalore blast just before going to bed last night...thought of my family there of course.

The explosion was so scary...did you guys see the video shot by the father daughter that wen to check out the fire...poor girl said she couldn't hear anything after the explosion, as they were pretty close by in their car....yeah fertilizer...not terorrism, but yeah, many buildings damaged, etc.

If Sr. Se7en's in laws are there, hope they are safe insha'allah.

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: