Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

What's in a name? That which we call a zahra. By any other name would smell as shariah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: my poor nose  (Read 100 times)
Riat8883
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 25
Riat8883 barely matters :(Riat8883 barely matters :(

« on: May 05, 2013 07:25 PM »

Asalaam alaikum

Let me share this.

As I was growing up I realised that am very sensitive to any strong smell. I had this never ending flu. I didn't realise most of the times it was allergies. After realising what my problems were my parents were extra careful. Having a history of asthma among my siblings the adjustment wasn't much.

Now, being a grown up I know how to take care of myself. I still have problems with my nose: I sneeze every time i open a can of any spice, I can't rub the chalkboard before or after lesson even though am a teacher.

When I tell this to people they always think am exaggerating one of them being my husband. Last week one of his bosses from the group, came to our country to do some work. On friday they had their fare well. After the farewell he asked my husband if he could bring me to a dinner saturday evening. I didn't know this man though I knew he was constantly on the phone with my husband. When he told me I was kind of worried and I was not comfortable with it but since it was the big boss we ended up going.

We met at a certain hotel. Being the host they arrived earlier than us. He called and asked whether he should get a seat outside or in the hall. Being winter in Malawi we said inside. When we arrived we found two people at the table. He was with a woman in a hijab. To our surprise he Introduced her as the wife. We didn't know he was a muslim all along.

As soon as we sat down I realised one of them was wearing a very strong perfume. Just soon after sitting down I started having a running nose. I left for the toilet to get toilet paper cos I didn't even have a handkerchief on me. The family was very friendly talking all the time. Me on the other hand it was the beginning of my nightmare. My running nose was getting worse. Poor husband he was busy trying to impress the boss didn't even notice wife was getting sick.

I keep on going to the toilet that the boss had to even ask if I was expecting. I went to the toilet again and called my husband. This time he had also noticed something was wrong. I told him on the phone what was wrong he said we should go home. I knew how important this dinner was to him so I said let's stay on.

By the time the dinner was served I was sick. My head was hurting so bad and so was my nose. At this stage I told them I was getting sick(but I didn't them the reason of course). They suggested we pack the meal so I could go to the hospital. All these events happened within 30 to minutes. We left the hotel straight to the hospital. When we reached the hospital things were worse.

They suggested I stayed overnight so they can observe me. I asked for permission to be discharged since there was no older person at home. This was after 3 or 4 hours of medication. My husbands boss called almost 10 times trying to know how I was. This morning they called 3 times before leaving at 8 in the morning.

When I woke up for swalah this morning Alihamdulilah I was feeling well. As soon as the sun rose I was on my feet doing everything as if I was never sick. If my husband boss had seen me today they would think I was just faking it. My husband himself didn't believe it. He was scared to death. Since this morning he keeps asking everything especially if he knows there is a smell involved.

I feel bad I ruined my husband dinner most of all we can't even tell these people what really got me sick. They were so nice to us as if we have met before. Oh how I wish everything had gone well. Alihamdulilah am fine now.

Just thought I would share.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013 02:25 AM »

That sounds very scary sis...I'm sure you've learned about allergies and atopic conditions (like asthma), but whatever is affecting your nose...you seem very sensitive to many substances...allergic rhinitis, but very severe form? Anyways, I won't pretend to know what's going, but I can see you are troubled by the effect it had on the events of that night...it was clear everyone was concerned about your health first, so insha'allah, I hope you stay healthy and hopefully figure out what is going on there...that is the most important thing.

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013 04:55 PM »

Walaikumassalaam Sis,

I do understand you here.I too seem to have an allergy towards strong perfumes.Plus people these days don't shy away from emptying the whole perfume bottle on themselves lol.Although I find pleasant fragrances soothing, I do tend to puke if the the smell is too strong and if it is of lavender.

Anyway Dr.Baba is right here and you must take adequate precautions to stay away from these allergens or have lesser adverse reactions when exposed to them or handle any emergency.I hope a doctor near you can suggest something specific.
And yes do carry handkerchiefs or tissues!

Riat8883
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 25
Riat8883 barely matters :(Riat8883 barely matters :(

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013 10:56 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Now adays am extra careful. And after that episode so is every one around me. Last week I had to drop out of a minibus cos somebody perfume was all over the bus. Thank God it was before the minibus took off. Some people really just get in the perfume bottle.

Alihamdulilah everything is fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: