// The Best Cookbooks - suggestions??
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Meet people in such a manner that if you die, they should weep for you, and if you live, they should long for you - Ali (radi Allahu anhu)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Best Cookbooks - suggestions??  (Read 454 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: May 11, 2013 05:15 AM »

Salam masterchef contestants...

oh wait wrong show!!

Yes so I want to order some good cookbooks while I'm in the US, any suggestions for tried and true and useful ones?  pancakemaker  

Looking for one's with a variety of main dishes, meat or veggies,  and with not a huge amount of ingredients or nothing too exotic, complicated or out there, and with good photos.  I've watched a few cooking shows and like Nigella because her recipes are not that difficult or ingredients hard to get and they seem very flexible, but haven't seen her cookbooks!

chemist k thanks u!!
Riat8883
Ramadan Diaries

Reputation Power: 25
Riat8883 barely matters :(Riat8883 barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013 07:00 AM »

Try Ina Garten. I love her shows on Foodnetwork and most of her recipes are easy. I know of her books although I've never used them. I have tried a lot of her recipes and they are nice.

My favourite chef is a south african Sharon Glass. Am sure there is way how you can buy her book(online). I have 1 book of her "sweet endings". And since she is from RSA some of her recipes have an eastern taste so no worries there.

Ok those are the 2 I could think of. 
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013 05:57 PM »

Nigella 'how to be a domestic goddess' is good, I also covet 'feast food that celebrates life'

But honestly you won't be able to find any recipes with very few ingredients, it won't taste that great, unless you're ok with bland.

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013 06:03 PM »

What about Rachael Ray, is her food anything you could manage to replicate?

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013 01:48 PM »

Slm,dont own any cookbooks,so no recommendations from me... But i love to watch the food channel,and i vote for rachel alan with a bit if desi spice...am more of a baker,but i have tried some if her stuff,and everything worked perfectly,mashAllah
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013 06:50 PM »

Rachel Ray is from here!! She used to do little supermarket grocery store demonstrations and then she did little presentations on local stations here and then took off! I do like her but her ingredients will be hard to get in the UK. I think Nigella is probably the best. Does anyone like Jamie Oliver??
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013 06:52 PM »

Sis J I suggested Rachael Ray because she's American. In sure you can get similar ingredients in the uk.

Jamie Oliver is actually very good for simple dishes. I've used his recipes for roasts. Altho to be fair I don't think roasts require much in the way of ingredients apart from meat, salt and one or two herbs.

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013 06:57 PM »

You also need a good mixer and hand held blender.

Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013 07:54 AM »

I used to watch rachel ray...seemed easy n quick,but nevr tried her stuff out. My sis makes jamie olivers recipes,all quick n good... Traditionally here (doesnt happen so regularly anymore) when a girl got married she would get a famous local cookbook called indian delights,has tried n tested recipes. We have tons of more modern books these days,from local cooks with easy to find local ingredients. What about the islamic stores in london? Dont they hav UK written desi style cookbooks?
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013 09:15 AM »

Actually I reckon what we need to do is having a few cooking sessions.

We need to get sis J to buy in the ingredients and then cook together so she can see its not at all daunting whatsoever to cook good food..... (sis J and her household may end up incredibly fat tho)

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013 03:35 PM »

Have you guys seen this!! Looks awesome, coming up in Sept iA.

http://halalfoodfestival.com/

Yeah I just want to try making some different things than I usually cook. I make mostly desi food with meat, chicken, beef, lamb etc at home so just looking for some British variety with vegetables. I think I'll order a Nigella one and see if I like some of her recipes.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2013 05:14 PM »

I'm finding youtube to be the best cookbook out there. A lot of nice cooks and you can see how they do things step by step. I love the pakistani aunties that talk only in urdu and have those big tawlas and stuff. Really authentic stuff! I also like Titli Nahan she's just hilarious. I found a Peg Bracken "cook"book online. It's pure comedy gold!
Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2013 10:05 PM »

Try khanapakanna.com recepies for everything,videos,English Urdu....
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2013 02:23 PM »

Baji that url didn't work? Did u mean KhanaPakana.com ?

Reading this thread I remember when I first bought a few of Nigella's cookbooks. I feel so sorry for her. I was a real fan of her show. Divorce is such an ugly business. Why can't people separate in peace?
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2013 03:31 PM »

Saatchi is a nasty piece of work.

I really like Nigella's recipes, she does massive food. I like watching her shows as well,

Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 23
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Ahla Haya

« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2014 07:03 PM »

salam I like Curtis Stone's show and I think he has a new cookbook out called "What's for Dinner?:Delicious Recipes for a Busy Life" so its worth check it out.

"...Surely my prayer and my sacrifice, my life and my death are for Allah, the Lord of the Worlds..." (Qur'an, 6:162)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: