// [FILM] The Reluctant Fundamentalist
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Morality: The Prophet said: 'The most perfect of the believers in faith are the best of them in moral excellence, and the best of you are the kindest to their wives. (Sunan At-Tirmidhî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [FILM] The Reluctant Fundamentalist  (Read 220 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: May 13, 2013 04:04 PM »

Whether we like it or not, it looks like this film is going to be huge. Especially at this time after the Boston bombings and many ppl trying to come to terms with 'white looking american guys' doing something like that.

I read the book and remember it was about a conversation with a muslim guy and he talks all about his life story, how he worked in the corporate world in america, 9/11 and it's impact etc etc and at the end you think ok he's not a terrorist, he's a normal guy, but then he goes and says something that makes you question his entire story and if he is a terrorist!!

This is really dangerous if you ask me. Americans already think Muslims are all hidden terrorists or can be switched like with a flick of a switch or we're all in muslim sleeper cells.

I really don't like this. Making terrorists out to be like average people is untruthful and secondly making terrorists/terrorism out to be sympathetic is wrong.

Here's one review: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/10044349/The-Reluctant-Fundamentalist.html
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013 05:41 PM »

Yeh had read the book long ago on someone's suggestion.The book was nominated for several awards it seems.

But no.I did not like it.

Firstly it gives a wrong impression about an 'ideal' Muslim.For example-The protagonist drinks alcohol and commits zina without any guilt.(but then may be it was really about many such Muslims out there..)

Then comes the 9/11 part and the story sort of becomes more political.(Although I don't remember the details exactly,I can recollect the gist)

The book kind of made me brood over several issues that are rampant in the society especially as non American,who witnessed many people visit the west for greener pastures.

But that is another discussion altogether... Tongue
Cinders
Sis

Reputation Power: 25
Cinders barely matters :(Cinders barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013 07:25 PM »

Hey y'all. I'm actually going to watch the film tomorrow with my friend - I have to say she wants to watch it more than me. I haven't read the book.

I'll let you know what happens and try to give a good critical review. I must say though, in the whole of London, only 4 cinemas are showing this film.

Will keep you posted, once I've watched it and I get a few minutes to write up a critique Wink

وَلَسَوْفَ يُعْطِيكَ رَبُّكَ فَتَرْضَىٰ

And soon will your Lord give you so that you shall be well pleased.
Al Qur'an (93:5)
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013 04:33 PM »

The On Demand service on our cable has been promoting this in the "Asian film" collection or something like that, so it's on TV here. But yeah Sis J, the hate is riding high right now, so this won't help.

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013 07:42 AM »

I watched it and although it does seem to be neutral, a little thought will tell you that it indicates that eventually Muslims will turn into anti american fundamentalists, reluctantly though  Roll Eyes  But, it did highlight the wrongful victimization of innocent muslims and that the american military/intelligence does commit mistakes and is also incompetent at times, yet it acts as if it isn't and fails to acknowledge that. A good movie, but it could've used some more objectivity.
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013 09:34 AM »

Hey,

Yes I watched it too. I echo Br akhan's sentiments regarding the film. In think after reading some of the comments, I was expecting it to be very biased, but it wasn't as expected.
My friend (she's read the book) that I went with to watch movie said that it isn't the same as the book, so they've changed parts of the story for the movie, possibly to appeal to a wider audience Muslims and Non Muslims alike.
Overall, I think they do a good job, but I would NOT say it's a movie 'not to be missed'.

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013 08:18 PM »

Just wanted to share, I'm indirectly related to Riz Ahmed, the actor in the film, through my mom's brother's wife. He also did some explicit scenes with Frieda Pinto in a film called Trishna. so not really a proud connection lol.

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Cinders
Sis

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013 08:54 PM »

Yes I watched Trishna too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: