// Arabic baby names?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arabic baby names?  (Read 174 times)
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« on: Aug 01, 2013 01:58 AM »

Need some quick advice re girls names choices are-:

Ameyah/ Amia/ Amiah
Is this Arabic and which is the best spelling

Amara

Amara is first choice but have seen on a couple of web sites that it means " bitter" if so will have to drop it.
Jk

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
sadah
Brother
Bro

Reputation Power: 38
sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)sadah is working their way up :)

Dont be sad...

« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2013 03:50 AM »

Huh it seems you like uncommon names. Is it that you dont want your child to have familiar name? Otherwise I will advise you go for names with clear meaning.

I am not sure if 'Amiah' you mentioned is read with ainun as in 'عامية' which is used to qualify a slang or vulgar language. I will advise you dont pick a name that is ambiguous, having an indecent variant.

Why not Aminah (آمنة), Ameerah (أميرة)?

"Whoever rejects false deities and believes in Allah has grasped a firm handhold which will never break." Q 2:256"
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2013 02:56 AM »

Having the same problem. Babies birth to be registered on Monday.
Trying to choose between Amaya and Amara.
Have also seen the meaning as "bitter"
Can anyone please clarify.
Ma Salama

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2013 03:48 AM »

Salam,

Ok using Hans-Wehr - classical Arabic dictionary what I could work out is

Amara(h)  - Alif Meem Alif Ra Tah_Marbutah means sign, token, indication, symptom, mark, characteristic

and 'Amara(h) - Ayn Meem Alif Ra Tah_Marbutah means live long

now if you add the chadda on the meem... like AM-MARAH (double M sound) I'm not sure...

I do see AM-MAR (alif meem_with_chadda alif ra) (the boy form without ta_marbutah) means constantly inciting, urging.

I can't find anything on amaya, not sure how it's spelled or what it's supposed to be!!

I see on some websites it says it's an Urdu name that means 'shining star' so could be that one is not Arabic but Urdu.

The best thing to do really is ask an Arabic speaking person, they could tell you what it means colloquially usually or better yet ask an Arabic-speaking Imam.

and Allahu alam.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: